Which high quality full-size headphones have the most BASS!!!
Mar 31, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #61 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't give a damn what you choose to believe. Unlike you, I do not lie.

I believe you lie about all your experiences with music.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #62 of 106
Although I'm not a fan of many of these headphones overall, if we're talking about just bass quantity and higher-end headphones, TakeT H2 wins hands down, but they requires the whole specialized set-up; Edition 9s are a good runner up, and UE11s, though iems, are amazing. If were talking more commercial headphones, the DT770/80s are bass heavy, but enjoyable, and are better once modded; the Proline 2500s have nice deep bass and are a bit more balanced and better for music than other Ultrasones I've heard and really dislike. The HD650s have wonderful bass, but really need high-quality components in the rest of the audio chain to tighten it up, and balanced is the way to go if you can. Although not full-sized, the best bass quality I've heard from a headphone requiring just an ipod and no amp, comes from the esw10s: I love these little headphones for that alone. I have found many stats to have excellent bass, but others can speak better as to quality/quantity. I've heard many, but not for significant lengths of time, and have never compared bass outright.

intoart: I stayed away from this website for a little while because I got tired of reading posts from people who had little experience, but posted anyway (which is fine) and from ego or their ass (which is not fine at all), polluting the forum with nonsense, and bringing the quality of this board down. I have far less experience than many on this board and I ask to learn from them. My tastes are different from many whose opinions I respect entirely. That's how things go. We even have fun arguments, but done in jest and respect. In my couple days back on this forum, you have already jumped out as a profound board polluter. I also like modded 770/80, but please stop your nonsense.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #63 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe you lie about all your experiences with music.

Then you are an even bigger idiot than I thought, which is quite an accomplishment.

Mar 31, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #65 of 106
Quote:

Then you are an even bigger idiot than I thought, which is quite an accomplishment.

This is what I mean by polluting the board. Do you care about the quality of your posts? Do you consider that others come here to learn about their choices before spending good money, and it's important to be thoughtful, and provide real information? From what I've gathered in just a couple days back, you have experience with three headphones and no real experience with sources, amps, speakers and/or the recording process. You've been in an orchestra. Good deal. So have I as have others. You post as if you know it all. Members with the most experience here (those I look up to) would never do the same. You dare to call others idiots? The irony is huge. Again, please knock off the bullhoey. By contributing in this manner, you degrade the whole board.

Mar 31, 2009 at 3:22 PM Post #66 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is what I mean by polluting the board. Do you care about the quality of your posts? Do you consider that others come here to learn about their choices before spending good money, and it's important to be thoughtful, and provide real information? From what I've gathered in just a couple days back, you have experience with three headphones and no real experience with sources, amps, speakers and/or the recording process. You've been in an orchestra. Good deal. So have I as have others. You post as if you know it all. Members with the most experience here (those I look up to) would never do the same. You dare to call others idiots? The irony is huge. Again, please knock off the bullhoey. By contributing in this manner, you degrade the whole board.

I didn't call him an a**hole, although he deserved it.
wink.gif

Yes, I am well aware that others come here to learn about their choices before spending good money. That is why I recommend headphones that I know to be both excellent in absolute terms and great value for the price.

I may be relatively new to headphones (I have owned about 10 and heard maybe 7 or 8 others), but I have been into high end stereo systems for decades, so I most certainly do know a tremendous amount about amps, sources, and speakers.

The people who degrade the board are the audio snobs who think that realistic bass is bad and/or that you have to spend $600+ to get great headphones.

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #67 of 106
Quote:

The people who degrade the board are the audio snobs who think that realistic bass is bad and/or that you have to spend $600+ to get great headphones.

The problem with this argument is that you're the one who usually brings up price. You always claim you've tried headphones twice as expensive that aren't as good. Most people here look for bang for the buck. Not everyone can afford $300 headphones let alone $1000 plus.

My bet is that you're boorish behavior makes it less likely that people will try your favorite headphone. But I think you already know this because you're a troll who likes to wind people up. A pretty effective one at that.

Mar 31, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #68 of 106
Quote:

I didn't call him an a**hole, although he deserved it.
wink.gif

Yes, I am well aware that others come here to learn about their choices before spending good money. That is why I recommend headphones that I know to be both excellent in absolute terms and great value for the price.

I may be relatively new to headphones (I have owned about 10 and heard maybe 7 or 8 others), but I have been into high end stereo systems for decades, so I most certainly do know a tremendous amount about amps, sources, and speakers.

That doesn't explain how you can think the HD280 is bass heavy in another thread.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #69 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That doesn't explain how you can think the HD280 is bass heavy in another thread.
rolleyes.gif

If we set up a scale where pathetically wimpy bass (K701) is 1 and lifelike bass (DT770 Pro) is 10, then the HD280s are about 8 or 9.
How is that fact relevant to this thread, though?

Mar 31, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #70 of 106
Quote:

But the problem with your posting is that "absolute terms" are already a lie. One can describe the qualities of a headphone as one hears them through one's own system(s), and then, through a more or less general consensus of other experienced listeners with various rigs, readers who are looking to purchase a headphone can get a pretty good idea of the characteristics and what's needed to bring out that sound. The other difficulty is that although your opinion deserves space on this board, the general consensus of folks with experience with many headphones and many different rigs is that although the 770s/80s, have many pleasing attributes, including the bass and the fact that they're closed (for those who need that) and are also affordable (very important), they are not the best or most realistic sounding headphones, even in the bass, by far. So, most experienced listeners say one thing, and you say another. No biggie, but just know that many people disagree with your opinion, expect to encounter it, get over it, and move on.

Quote:

Excellent. I'm not sure what a "tremendous" amount means, but good for you. I asked you in another thread to outline that experience so those of us who are trying, with patience, to pay attention to your words might have a frame of reference by which to gauge your "absolute terms." Since you didn't answer there, I'm going to ask again here. You can talk about your various experience with speaker rigs if you choose, but since this is a headphone forum, I again ask you to name which headphones you have owned or have had loaned to you for a least a couple weeks, and also discuss which sources, amps, etc you specifically used with each since, as you know, they play an important part.

Quote:

Seriously. Realistic bass is bad? Snobs? Who the heck are you talking about? Every person I know who has expensive gear has had and probably still has budget gear they enjoy very much, places a great value on bang for the buck, and is sensitive when making recommendations to others, who, for whatever reason, are looking for modestly priced gear to enjoy. On the other hand, I hope we're allowed to talk about the qualities of higher priced headphones on a audio forum without being called snobs simply for having the good fortune to own them or even hearing some at a meet. It is simply a reality that many of the higher priced headphones have better sq than less expensive headphones. Being able to talk about those differences on an audio forum is not an act of snobbery. The truth is that the O2 MK1s with a KGBH SE and a good source wipe the floor with the bass quality and realism of the DT770/80s even with paired with great components, as do the HE90s with the ES1 or Aristeaus, as do the bass-heavy R10s, even with a freaking ipod and portable amp. Do I go around recommending those to everyone or trashing others' happy experiences with DT770s? Of course not, and I actually like the DT770/80s a bit. Being able to speak truthfully and make comparisons, even between expensive and inexpensive gear, should be allowed on an audio forum without being accused of snobbery. Get over yourself.

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:06 PM Post #71 of 106
Oooops. My apologies to everyone here for engaging this member. As I had mentioned, I'd been away from this site for a bit, and have been catching up over the past few days. I simply didn't know who he was or the scope of inane posting going on. I'll stop.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm listening right now to esw10s straight out of an iphone. Wonderful bass: full, clean and tight. For those who are looking for headphones with quality bass, and were considering a total rig budget in the $500 zone (thinking you already have a computer or ipod or the like), these certainly satisfy moreso than a $250ish headphone and $250ish amp.

Mar 31, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #72 of 106
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oooops. My apologies to everyone here for engaging this member. As I had mentioned, I'd been away from this site for a bit, and have been catching up over the past few days. I simply didn't know who he was or the scope of inane posting going on. I'll stop.

Anyway, back on topic, I'm listening right now to esw10s straight out of an iphone. Wonderful bass: full, clean and tight. For those who are looking for headphones with quality bass, and were considering a total rig budget in the $500 zone (thinking you already have a computer or ipod or the like), these certainly satisfy moreso than a $250ish headphone and $250ish amp.

biggrin.gif

And I'm glad that there are a lot of good people here too...

Mar 31, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #73 of 106
It looks like ear placement within the cups of the DT770 Pro has a BIG impact on the amount of bass. It is nigh-bassless with ears near the back of cups, boomy and heavy near the front. I usually listen with ears near the back, thus my earlier comments on the lack of bass.

Just wanted to clear this up a bit.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #74 of 106
I like the 770's, but the bass is not "lifelike". Having spent a few hours with them in a studio, they do overemphasize the lower frequencies and are a bit fuzzy down low (lol). That being said, I'm not really a basshead, but the 770's, with a little bit of tweaking, have a lot of potential.

Mar 31, 2009 at 11:26 PM Post #75 of 106
Another Denon vote here. Probably close to your budget and if they don't have enough bass for you then you need counseling. I like bass. I'd almost say I'm a basshead but perhaps not quite. I am listening to D2000 now with them EQed down 10db at about 80Hz and they still have a lot of bass. There is no way I would call the bass out of these things realistic (while we're at it, I played tuba for a long time along with several other instruments...).

Quote:

If we set up a scale where pathetically wimpy bass (K701) is 1 and lifelike bass (DT770 Pro) is 10

Hmmm, this is revealing. This leaves no room for a can with too much bass. It looks like there is "no such thing"...

"But these go to eleven." --Nigel Tufnel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back