Which high-end headphone to get?
Jul 9, 2010 at 12:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Leonardo Drummond

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I thought about posting this on existing topics, but I thought they kind of went off topic sometimes so I reckoned I could just start a new one. I hope that's not a problem!
The thing is that I'll soon be able to buy a pair of high end headphones with a budget of around 2700 dollars. I thought about the big ones - HD800, T1, PS1000, LCD2 and Staxes -, the not so big ones - JH13Pro and JH16Pro - and some used ones, like the AKG K1000. At this moment I own a pair of AKGs K701, Sennheiser IE8s and Shure SE530 (they're all driven by a Little Dot MKIII). I just want a neutral, transparent, warm and musical sound. I also value a very big soundstage. Also, I would like to avoid basshead phones; for me, bass quantity on the K701s or the SE530 is pretty much ideal.
I really don't know what to choose... I had decided to get the JH13, but when I got the AKGs I realized that I really appreciate it's opened, airy character and enormous soundstage, so I'm afraid I won't have that with IEMs. Is that correct? I absolutely love the "unrestricted" sound on the K701s, if that makes sense.
I'm also very curious about Staxes, but with this budget it won't be possible to buy an SR-007MKII and an energizer, so I don't know if the lower models will be more suitable to me than the top dynamics. One thing I could do though, would be to buy an SR-007MKII and then later get a Blue Hawaii. But I'll only do that if it's significantly "better" than the top dynamics or the lower Staxes.
If it's better to buy dynamics (or orthos, for that matter), which ones would be more suitable to me? I'm very curious about the K1000s, but at the same time I aks myself whether they would be any good to me, because I already have a speaker system in my room, and as far as I'm aware they're kind of half-way between speakers and headphones. Is its soundstage really that fantastic? Does it have less "intimacy" with the music than classic headphone designs? Is is less detailed because it's completely opened?
And what about the other ones, like the HD800 and LCD2? What do you guys think?
I know there are lots of questions, but I'm really lost... any help would be appreciated! Another thing, I'll be going to England and the Netherlands soon, so if any of you guys know a place where I can actually try any of those headphones, it would be great.
What sould I do?
Thanks in advance!

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #2 of 25
Personally I think you'll see more gains in an upgraded source and amp than cans.

That said, PS1000, K1000 and LCD-2 are out with your existing amp and sound preference.  Stax is out on cost unless you can dump your current rig and find a used KGSS.  Leaves T1 and HD800.  Both will sound brighter than the 701 and especially the 530 with more bass extention than the 701.  Should be fairly easy to find an outlet in the UK to try both.

Jul 9, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #3 of 25
I would try to pick up a Lambda pro energizer combo (assuming you have a suitable amp or receiver). They're sortof rare but tend to sell for reasonable prices. Or a Koss ESP950. Both of which I think are better than the HD800.

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:19 PM Post #4 of 25

I'm very curious about the K1000s, but at the same time I aks myself whether they would be any good to me, because I already have a speaker system in my room, and as far as I'm aware they're kind of half-way between speakers and headphones. Is its soundstage really that fantastic? Does it have less "intimacy" with the music than classic headphone designs? Is is less detailed because it's completely opened?

In response to your questions on the AKG K1000:

Yes, the K1000 soundstage really is that fantastic.

Not sure exactly what you mean by intimacy, but the K1000 can get you feeling like you're right there on stage with the musicians.

No, the K1000 isn't less detailed because it's wide open. If anything the K1000 are the most detailed headphones I've ever heard. The K1000 is unforgiving, though. Any weaknesses in the recording material or your equipment chain will be mercilessly revealed.

Jul 9, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #5 of 25
Sounds like you would love the K-1000. It checks off all the requirements you listed and, yes, it really is that good. It might be the best transducer ever, since it is like a great speaker rig in a room without a sonic character. You get the presentation of speakers, but you don't have to have a dedicated listening room. You will need a different amp for the K-1000, and forget typical headphone amps. What you'll want is one of the fleawatt speaker amps, single-ended triodes, directly heated. Tubes like the 300B, 45 and 2A3. I run my K-1000 on a 2A3 amp and it is just about the best thing I've ever heard.

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 25
First of all, thank you guys so much for your opinions!
Solude, are they brighter than the K701?? Oh dear... that's the only thing that I definitely don't want! I find its treble to be overly agressive sometimes. But I was thinking, maybe I could get an amp as well, since I'll have some money left? Which ones do you think don't suit my music tastes?
Milezone, I 'm quite curious about the Koss electrostat. Is it really that good? I read that the amp really lets it down though.
Bostonears and Unkle Erik, looks like the AKGs are on the top of my list then... what I meant by intimacy is that when you listen to headphones, even if they have a good soundstake (like the K701), it still feels like they're close to you. When you have speakers, it's like they're there, in front of you, you know what I mean? It's a different sensation. But still, I really value that spacious and airy character, so maybe those AKGs are my best option. Also, thank you for clearing the detail aspect up! I wondered if it would lose some since it's just wide open.
A few more questions though: can the K1000 be driven by speaker amps and normal headphone amps? If it is, what kind of speaker amp do I need? 4, 6 or 8 ohms? Not much power I guess, right? I've seen one on the classifieds section that has a "speaker pigtail". What is that? I've also tried to find the fleawatt speaker amp, but I couldn't find much about it... is it a DIY amp?
And about being bass light or bass heavy, how's the bass quantity in each of them in comparison with say the K701 or the SE530?
Once again, thanks a lot for your help!

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:42 AM Post #8 of 25

Quote:

A few more questions though: can the K1000 be driven by speaker amps and normal headphone amps?

Yes. Pretty much any speaker amplifier will do, but many normal headphone amplifiers will come short in power.

Quote:
If it is, what kind of speaker amp do I need

One that puts out some 6-7 watts or more. Mine put out 30 watts and just 1/4 of the available volume is plenty.

Quote:
4, 6 or 8 ohms?

The K1000 are 120 ohms.

Quote:
Not much power I guess, right?

Correct! Not much power to be a speaker amplifier.

Quote:
I've seen one on the classifieds section that has a "speaker pigtail". What is that?

A short cable, that came with the K1000.
4-pin XLR jack in one end, for hooking up to the K1000.  Bare cable strands in the other end for hooking up to the amplifiers speaker bindings.

Jul 10, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #9 of 25
Thank you so much krmathis!
I feel really stupid about the ohms question though... I was thinking purely in speaker terms and forgot that those headphones have quite a well known impedance. And obviously the problem is having less than the amp recommends, not more. But if I were to hook it up with one of those chinese valve amplifiers (such as Yaqin's MC-100B), that have three binding posts for each speaker... one being neutral, one being 4 ohms and the other 8 ohms. I'd put it in the 8 ohms one, I suppose?
And what about it's bass compared to my other headphones, the bass light and bass heavy versions?
Thank you much again!!

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #10 of 25
Currently my main amp for the K1000 is a Red Wine Audio Signature 30.2 and the sound is superb. However you could pick up a vintage receiver from Marantz, Technics, Pioneer, Yamaha, etc from the 70's and you will be surprised how goo the K1000 can sound from such a relative inexpensive amp. As a bonus the vintage receivers have excellent 1/4" headphone outs. Good luck.

Jul 10, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #11 of 25
Really, Miguel? I must confess I'm really attracted by vintage receivers... they tend do be really visually appealing!
Do you think that one like those should suffice?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marantz-1072-Amplifier-vintage-retro-very-rare-/260632590759?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3caee9b9a7
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-TECHNICS-SU-7200-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier-/120594018889?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item1c13f6b249
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-MONSTER-Technics-SU-V6-DC-Amplifier-Amp-RARE-/110542027760?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19bcd17bf0
Do you think the upgrade from those to something like this http://www.hi-end.on9mart.com/cart/AR_FU29.html will be big or should I just go with a vintage one?
Thank you!!

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #12 of 25
The three you list are nice units but IMO overkill, you should not need more than 25-30 wpc. In my case I got a great deal on a 38 wpc unit and thus why I ended up with a Marantz 2238B.

See if you can find something like a 2216, 2220, 2226, 2230, etc. In other words a 22XX, cheers. Pioneer and Technics also offer great value/performance.

Jul 10, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 25

Quote:
Really, Miguel? I must confess I'm really attracted by vintage receivers... they tend do be really visually appealing!
Do you think that one like those should suffice?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marantz-1072-Amplifier-vintage-retro-very-rare-/260632590759?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item3caee9b9a7
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-TECHNICS-SU-7200-Integrated-Stereo-Amplifier-/120594018889?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item1c13f6b249
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vintage-MONSTER-Technics-SU-V6-DC-Amplifier-Amp-RARE-/110542027760?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item19bcd17bf0
Do you think the upgrade from those to something like this http://www.hi-end.on9mart.com/cart/AR_FU29.html will be big or should I just go with a vintage one?
Thank you!!

In my opinion that would be a downgrade,If you like the sound and looks of SS amps then it is hard to go past a GOOD vintage amp from a GOOD manufacturer,for headphone use you will not find much better.

What is the point of a 200 wpc A class amp when it is only driving a load that needs 3-400 mW,and just how good are those amps at very low power outputs,are they better (subjective)

Jul 10, 2010 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 25
I see!! Thanks to both of you for your opinions. Seems like this is the way to go then. I found a mint 2216B on Ebay and just sent a message to the seller to ask about shipping and everything, but even if that doesn't go along I suppose I have many options!

Jul 10, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 25

Quote:
I see!! Thanks to both of you for your opinions. Seems like this is the way to go then. I found a mint 2216B on Ebay and just sent a message to the seller to ask about shipping and everything, but even if that doesn't go along I suppose I have many options!

They are a nice unit,and 16 wpc will drive the K1000 with ease,if you have very little volume control / or distortion you will have to attenuate the input signal.

These fit the bill nicely http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=266-244  12db should be ideal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back