Which headphones should I get? Maybe from Massdrop?
May 22, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #17 of 48
So if you are trying to stay on the cheaper side for portables, you will have to choose which features that you will use the most. If you are planning to use the bluetooth for portable use, then the FiiO BTR7 will drive the HD6XX more sufficently through its 4.4mm balanced out:

https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Headphone-Bluetooth-Resolution-Lightning/dp/B09ZKL694Y
Thanks I will consider it, but for now I might focus on which headphones to try with the amp I got.
I wish maybe I had considered a Fiio, of course. The Bluetooth range on that might be better too. I haven't looked into it much.
Oh, I see that's a much smaller device too. The xduoo is a brick, even thicker than my phone.

I might not care about the features, but reliability and long term. I was hoping the amp/dac I got would at least allow me to walk around a bit or use my phone.

Mostly I am ok with keeping it in studio use. I'd prefer headphones that have good build quality. So the hd6xx I read might be better. But then I also read that the hifiman improved quality, I think in the Massdrop versions, someone was saying. But that the Sundara would be better, if I read that was for sound and/or build quality.
Heck, even if regular non-Drop Sennheiser are better build quality I might consider it. If the hd6xx isn't horrible, and clamps ok, I could do cheap.
I guess either might be ok. Depending how much it matters.

Last edited:
May 22, 2023 at 9:59 PM Post #19 of 48
If you want something guaranteed to be more comfortable, then consider the HD560S with 120 ohms impedance as well.
Good suggestion
Found a few pages comparing

Might be more comfortable, but lesser build quality some say
And not replaceable parts

Might be able to get it for lower cost though
If I don't go for the Sundara or anything, still could do the HD6XX I guess. For some people, the difference in sound might not be worth all this effort for distinction. Hopefully the 6xx has good detail, but I might give it a bit more time to decide.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneAdvice/comments/oe76o2/comment/h44rtsp/

https://www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneAdvice/comments/mfoz6n/comment/gsq1kfr/

https://headphones.com/blogs/reviews/sennheiser-hd560s-vs-hd600-comparative-review

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/tools/compare/sennheiser-hd-560s-vs-sennheiser-hd-6xx/18492/18987

https://headphones.com/blogs/reviews/sennheiser-hd-560s-review-better-value-than-the-hd6xx

Last edited:
May 24, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #20 of 48
HiFiMan has sundara open box on sale
Heard there's sometimes quality control issues

Which pads should I get? Dekoni or Brainwavz? Velour or leather...

ZMF
or maybe just stock

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #22 of 48
Have you considered the HD660S? They have a bit more clarity than the HD6XX and are currently on sale refurbished from Sennheiser's website
How is refurbished? should i cancel the sundara? openbox is on sale on hifiman website. I ordered sundara.
metal, not plastic, but the drivers can go bad.
How does 660s compare to sundara? Should I get the 660s instead, refurb is ok? Ends up costing $30 more if I get the sennheiser and cancel the sundara.
reading that 660s a bit better clarity and mid-range, but a bit less bass.

i'd consider some earpads.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #23 of 48
How is refurbished? should i cancel the sundara? openbox is on sale on hifiman website. I ordered sundara.
metal, not plastic, but the drivers can go bad.
How does 660s compare to sundara? Should I get the 660s instead, refurb is ok?

i'd consider some earpads.
Yeah, the Sundara is a great option, but it's really better to get something that is sturdy and will stand the test of time even after 10 years. HiFiman's aren't really known for their reliability. But to their credit, if you have any issues with your headphone, they will be quick to replace it if it's under warranty. They have great customer service these days.
Both the Sundara and HD660S offer the same sound quality. I'll just link this review of both headphones, since it describes them in better detail than I could: Sennheiser 660s vs Sundara: My experience

Also: Is Hifiman build quality as bad as people say?

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #24 of 48
Yeah, the Sundara is a great option, but it's really better to get something that is sturdy and will stand the test of time even after 10 years. HiFiman's aren't really known for their reliability. But to their credit, if you have any issues with your headphone, they will be quick to replace it if it's under warranty. They have great customer service these days.
Both the Sundara and HD660S offer the same sound quality. I'll just link this review of both headphones, since it describes them in better detail than I could: Sennheiser 660s vs Sundara: My experience

Also: Is Hifiman build quality as bad as people say?
I have to decide whether to cancel the sundaras right now, or order the 660s.
Else I can wait.

I could get 560s another time. Or DT990s, DT1990s, or HD6xx. If I stay with the sundaras for now, or... i wonder which sennheiser is better build quality than 6xx, if 560s is less expensive but then it costs about same as the amp. 660s might have less detail and I want them as clear as possible for monitor and critical listening or whatever the word is.

Last edited:
May 25, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #25 of 48
Since you said you like to do audiobooks and production later, the HD660S seems like a better bet. The HD6XX line of headphones is renowned for their vocal clarity. Plus, production headphones have to be sturdy right?, this is why Beyerdyamics like the DT1990 are popular in studios.
Not knocking on the Sundaras since they have great clarity in vocals as well, but the Sundaras are more U shaped in their frequency response. So vocal clarity takes a backseat... It's why they have better sound staging ability than the HD6XX line. They're excellent if you listen to orchestral music.
Ok this is good

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #26 of 48
Ok Sundaras open box arrived and very comfy, nice metal, sound is fine I guess. Had to return them since the left side stopped working and heard some clinking sound when turning audio off.

HD660s arrived but they are plastic and not as comfy and the sound is different. Not sure how to describe. Maybe they would be good for something, or get 560s or perhaps HD6xx.
Still considering DT990s or DT1990s or Philips X2hr or Grado sr80x or even a koss porta pro.

Check these reviews out
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-crap-voted-by-this-forum-celebration.954889/

https://www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneA...t_headphones_for_gamingmusic_hd560s_vs_pc38x/

I don't know how to describe what kind of sound I want, but the Sundaras seemed more smoothed overall. The HD660s just the feel and sound is all plastic to me.
I can't compare the Sundaras much since I only had for a day. I'm not sure I want to get another Sundara if these problems happen that much.

What about Focal Elex or Ananda but might be too expensive. Or Aeon 2 or hi-x65? If they cost more, but maybe won't break like the Sundara, are they as comfortable and sound better in some way?
I'm not liking the 660s, but could consider getting another Sundara. Or just wait.

I might need closed back for using microphone. Should I consider closed back sundaras then? I'd hate if they would break after warranty ends.
1 year warranty from Hifiman
closed vs open review

If there's any brand as comfy and more durable than Sundara with nice build quality, I'd consider. I could swap earpads on something else. Sundara is so comfy compared to the 660s. Closed back might get hot in warmer weather or long use, and mids (he says is far forward) and lack of airy might be a problem, but the review says the bass is much better on closed.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 11:08 PM Post #27 of 48
Aeon 2 or Focal Elegia or Hi-x60

It seems Aeon 2 may be pretty pricey. Some sometimes go for quite a bit less, but not often.
Great comfort and build quality, flexible and portable
I could read more about them maybe
Great detail but not exciting sound
Great quality, just not exciting sound
Great build, great comfort

What I was told is this how they rank:
Comfort
Aeon2 > hi x60 > Elegia
Build quality
Hi-x60 > aeon 2 > elegia
Sound
Elegia > hi-x60 > Aeon 2

That they all sound great

Pads on hix60 and aeon2 are very premium
So I might not have to consider dekoni or zmf pads
I wanna see what shop sells these, maybe in NYC to try all 3 headphones
Or maybe a Canjam if these might be there.

Elegia is bulky and stiff
Aeon 2 is foldable, titanium band (I think), more portable compact

No Beyerdynamic? Maybe a lower end Aeon or Massdrop collab X?
Kennerton...

Couple shops in NYC
Adorama, Audio46,

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #28 of 48
Ok Sundaras open box arrived and very comfy, nice metal, sound is fine I guess. Had to return them since the left side stopped working and heard some clinking sound when turning audio off.

HD660s arrived but they are plastic and not as comfy and the sound is different. Not sure how to describe. Maybe they would be good for something, or get 560s or perhaps HD6xx.
Still considering DT990s or DT1990s or Philips X2hr or Grado sr80x or even a koss porta pro.

Check these reviews out
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-crap-voted-by-this-forum-celebration.954889/

https://www.reddit.com/r/HeadphoneA...t_headphones_for_gamingmusic_hd560s_vs_pc38x/

I don't know how to describe what kind of sound I want, but the Sundaras seemed more smoothed overall. The HD660s just the feel and sound is all plastic to me.
I can't compare the Sundaras much since I only had for a day. I'm not sure I want to get another Sundara if these problems happen that much.

What about Focal Elex or Ananda but might be too expensive. Or Aeon 2 or hi-x65? If they cost more, but maybe won't break like the Sundara, are they as comfortable and sound better in some way?
I'm not liking the 660s, but could consider getting another Sundara. Or just wait.

I might need closed back for using microphone. Should I consider closed back sundaras then? I'd hate if they would break after warranty ends.
1 year warranty from Hifiman
closed vs open review

If there's any brand as comfy and more durable than Sundara with nice build quality, I'd consider. I could swap earpads on something else. Sundara is so comfy compared to the 660s. Closed back might get hot in warmer weather or long use, and mids (he says is far forward) and lack of airy might be a problem, but the review says the bass is much better on closed.

Unfortunately as you've seen, HiFiMan isn't exactly known for their stellar quality control... It's the main reason I stopped at the Sundara w/ them.

It looks like you're still very much in the experimentation phase of deciding what type of frequency response/build/etc you prefer, if there's any headphone stores near you where you could try a bunch out, I'm sure that'd help narrow it down a bunch.

If the 660s sounded too "plastic" to you, I would suggest something like a DT1990 which would be a nice change of pace, with a V-shaped frequency response. I got quite a lot of mileage out of having a HD600 and DT1990 to complement each other. The build quality and comfort on Beyers is great too, which would be a + for you.

Jun 4, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #29 of 48
I know I have just one note, but you really should try the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X. Light. Forget-you're-using-them comfortable. Clear sound bottom to top. If you want to punch up the bass you can EQ them -- their specs say they go down to 5Hz. I was teetering between them and Sundara and I am incredibly glad I pulled the trigger on the ATH-R70X.

Best US price, 30-day returns. https://www.thomannmusic.com/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm

Jun 5, 2023 at 5:55 AM Post #30 of 48
I know I have just one note, but you really should try the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X. Light. Forget-you're-using-them comfortable. Clear sound bottom to top. If you want to punch up the bass you can EQ them -- their specs say they go down to 5Hz. I was teetering between them and Sundara and I am incredibly glad I pulled the trigger on the ATH-R70X.

Best US price, 30-day returns. https://www.thomannmusic.com/audio_technica_ath_r70_x.htm
I might need closed back though. Maybe I can find a shop that has some more Audio Technica and also demo some Beyerdynamic and these others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back