Which headphones should I get? Maybe from Massdrop?
Jun 5, 2023 at 5:07 PM Post #31 of 48
I'm not at all fond of the closed-back Audio-Technica I have tried -- like the M40X -- but I haven't heard any of the upper-level ones. Demoing is always the best way to go.

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #32 of 48
Trying out the Aeon 2 Noire and Focal Elegia and Austrian Audio hi-x60.
Elegia has louder mids or something.
Hi-x60 and Aeon have soft earpads, and isolate a bit more sound. Sound smoother overall maybe like the sundara. Noire has some more bass.

I might consider the Elegia.
But if I go for an Aeon, which model would you recommend? The Noire would be great, but I could consider a lower end one.
The hi-x60 and also the elegia make a bit of feedback sound when using microphone. Especially the hi-x60. I can't get that one. The Elegia may be ok, but the Aeon, even if because of the impedance and maybe the shape of the earpads, has barely any such problem.

Should I consider Aeon RT closed, Aeon Massdrop version, etc?
Aeon 2 (red)?

Also I might want to find a longer cable for the Elegia. The Aeon Noire has a nice long 4pin cable.
Probably down to these two for now, else a different Aeon.

Jul 6, 2023 at 9:52 PM Post #36 of 48
Couple other consideration
What about Audeze, Beyerdynamic, Kennerton

Maybe the Audeze?

Edit: i was posting a reply as you were replying
ok those pads are $89.99
i might consider Dekoni or...ZMF or are the stock pads on the Massdrop Ether not so great?
That adds quite a bit to the price, or considering if the rest of the headphones are great, and if i might want nicer pads anyways.
But at some point, I might be able to get a Noire for about what the Massdrop Ether and Pads cost. But the Noire has glued on pads, so i'd have to use the stock pads on that.

checking another thread about Audeze, Kennerton, etc
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...-to-buy-next-after-audeze-lcd-2.956420/page-3

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #38 of 48
I assume that you mean this one:

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-gx

It should sound like a LCD-2 sound, but I dunno about how the mic sounds, so you will have to look it up for yourself.
Not for gaming. I will consider something closed-back without some built-in mic.
LCD-2 shows a closed back version there. So maybe that.

Or kennerton.
This is a lot of reading and asking questions I barely know what to ask and compare.
Maybe I could try to find a CanJam somewhere, but might not even have these specific ones.
Maybe not Denon?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 8:38 PM Post #39 of 48
Ok so maybe one of the Aeon's since they are so lightweight and soft, and accurate, smooth sound.
For production, it might be good to have a baseline without having to EQ something like the Audeze LCD-2 closed or XC and i've already been having some trouble with PeaceEQ or audio lag and something in the buffer lingering to the next thing i click even while PeaceEQ is closed.

But if I do go for Aeon or Audeze, i wonder if the Scarlett interface is ok instead of Schiit Vali or something.
I could get a balanced mini-xlr cable and a desktop amp.
Does anyone recommend an amp?

I might wanna post on sound science subforum about surround sound. And maybe learn more about EQ filters and calibration, maybe a hardware sliders like a mixer.

So probably just the Elegia for now. Unfortunately the Austrian Audio hi-x60 and Elegia cause some feedback loop in the mic and using aux cord to amplify through Blue Yeti USB mic output headphone jack to the amp makes everything worse.
The Aeon didn't quite have as much problem, maybe because of the earpad shape and also impedance. I could use IEMs for recording.
Got so many cords all over, even might want to record online call, but with drivers and firmware nonsense I might have to use an external recorder. And also have the mic here. So I kind of don't want an amp or dealing this much with nuances of headphones, but it is what it is.

Maybe suede earpads if I go for Audeze. Aeon can't replace pads easily, right?
Wondering if Stellia limited edition Dekoni pads on the Elegia are any better than regular sheepskin Dekoni. Reading that the Stellia limited has some mesh inside.

if beyerdynamic and akg are out of the picture for now
i just need to try Audeze and compare to Aeon
probably keeping the Elegia

https://www.reddit.com/r/Schiit/comments/kd0eh6/modi_3_vs_scarlett_2i2/
yeah probably get a Schiit Vali or something
not sure, but maybe not the Scarlett unless I get an XLR mic or want to route the output of the online call

sometimes it's not even high quality audio anyways
it's not just about having loud sound, but as much quality is there and to perceive, recognize, and appreciate

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #40 of 48
ok maybe between some Audeze (lcd-2, 2 closed, X, XC, or mx4... or mm500) Maybe see what Camjam will have.
or a lower end Aeon

and an solid state amp and/or tube amp
Schiit or Topping or maybe also a DAC with...USB-C?

There's some amps on Massdrop also

Edit: reading that someone says Audeze, the plastic broke on theirs

Edit: what about Topping EX5
are there some other good DAC/Amp combo with USB?
Or Ifi Zen?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 9:14 AM Post #41 of 48
Could I get a Topping EX5 which is a DAC and Amp, and then add a tube amp onto that?
Massdrop has Topping Ex5.

To have a solid state amp, and then if I ever want to try a tube amp.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #43 of 48
Thanks. But what I'm asking is what's the best way to try both tube amp and solid state?
If I just get dedicated now, I would consider Topping Ex5 from massdrop.
And then maybe a Schiit or Topping tube from ebay eventually.

Does that stack ok? Since the Ex5 is an amp (and DAC).
But since it has usb and Bluetooth, I would like the Ex5 unless there's another DAC to consider.

I'd stack the Ex5 and maybe if I ever get a decent tube amp.
Does that work?
Not to spend another $200+ if I can just get something to add on.

But I gotta decide if I'm even gonna upgrade headphones. The Elegia are ok I guess. Not detailed enough for some stuff. I'm not so good at describing. The Aeon was toned down and could get some details better.

So this is if I end up getting Audeze or something, but they might have plastic.
Hopefully I can get some good headphones so I use a good amp.

Gotta see if I can get to CanJam
Do they tend to have both kinds of amps at Canjam? Do they have amps?

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #44 of 48
So each CanJam has an assorted amount of various vendors that are local or regional, but there are vendors that will show up to almost every one, like HeadAmp, Moon Audio, and Woo Audio. As a result, there are many solid-state and tube amps to demo, but they vary greatly in price ranges. Traveling expenses for you and others need to be considered, like transportation, lodging, and food/drink. There are those who are also so overwhelmed by the quality available, that they will splurge on the best sounding setup to them, yet not consider that vendor policies do vary, like whether or not you can return gear that you bought at the show back to the exact table. It is a very fun time to demo stuff, but do consider how much you are spending for the entire visit.

Jul 16, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #45 of 48
So each CanJam has an assorted amount of various vendors that are local or regional, but there are vendors that will show up to almost every one, like HeadAmp, Moon Audio, and Woo Audio. As a result, there are many solid-state and tube amps to demo, but they vary greatly in price ranges. Traveling expenses for you and others need to be considered, like transportation, lodging, and food/drink. There are those who are also so overwhelmed by the quality available, that they will splurge on the best sounding setup to them, yet not consider that vendor policies do vary, like whether or not you can return gear that you bought at the show back to the exact table. It is a very fun time to demo stuff, but do consider how much you are spending for the entire visit.
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can find a way to get there.

edit: considering schiit stack with a magni heresy or 3+ . Maybe a Vali or some tube amp eventually. (that's a tube hybrid? reading a bit about how much difference to solid state.)
https://headphones.com/blogs/review...-heresy-headphone-amplifier-review-comparison
Not sure how much and what difference in the Magni Heretic and 3+, but the Heretic might be better contrast to a Vali or other tube. Unless just get the 3+ anyways.

Besides Audeze, wondering if there's any other to consider. So maybe no AKG, Meze,
I got some Koss Porta Pros on sale. Mostly Audeze or something sturdy and detailed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back