Which headphones should I choose?
Feb 20, 2009 at 2:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Pandemic187

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm new to the forums here, and I'm currently in the market for some new headphones. It's a bit of a long story, but I have a pair of Shure SE530s and one of the buds went weak and, well, I'm not getting them repaired. So now I'm looking for some new headphones, and this time I've decided to try full-size headphones. After a few hours of research, the ones I'm primarily considering are:

- Sennheiser HD280 Pro
- Sennheiser HD555
- Grado SR80
- Sony MDR V6

If you couldn't tell, I can't really spend more than $100. I'll mainly be listening to lots of mellow music - a lot of acoustic stuff. One of my recent favorites, for example, is Iron & Wine. I will listen to the occasional Goo Goo Dolls song, but I'm mainly concerned with making my mellow music sound as good as possible.

So, of the ones I'm considering, which would be best? I'm leaning toward the HD280 Pro, but if you have think otherwise, or would like to suggest something that isn't on my list, that's cool too.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Pan

Feb 20, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #2 of 8
HD280pro is the worst sounding of the bunch =). I'd go with SR80, its the cleanest and the most musical sounding of the four.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 8
See if you can try grado headphones before you buy them. Some people do not like how they fit. Some totally love them as well. I hear that they sound great though.

I have two friends with grado headphones and they seem to love them.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 8
I'll also be using these while I'm out and about - maybe on the bus, maybe in a cafe. I don't listen to my music very loud, but I know the Grados are open - how much will that matter? Will I disturb other people if I'm not listening to my music loud?

And yes, I read about the Grados not being very comfortable, but I guess my main concern is sound quality. Plus there aren't many stores (if any) around here that would have a pair of Grado SR80s, plus I don't have my own car (I'm in college), so I don't know if I'll have a chance to try them on.

Feb 20, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pandemic187 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll also be using these while I'm out and about - maybe on the bus, maybe in a cafe. I don't listen to my music very loud, but I know the Grados are open - how much will that matter? Will I disturb other people if I'm not listening to my music loud?

And yes, I read about the Grados not being very comfortable, but I guess my main concern is sound quality. Plus there aren't many stores (if any) around here that would have a pair of Grado SR80s, plus I don't have my own car (I'm in college), so I don't know if I'll have a chance to try them on.

Sennheiser 414 pads are at B&H for $4 and fit the Grado Prestige line. I own the SR60's and they are a very lightweight headphone and the steel band can be easily tailored to fit your head with a little bending.

I have never found comfort to be a problem and I have a pretty big head.

Now the Grado bowl pads are a whole other story....shudder.

Feb 20, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #7 of 8
If you don't buy used buy from a place that has a 100% moneyback guarantee or see if your Credit Card will cover restock fees. You might lose out on shipping but there's no better way to know what works for you than listening. That way you won't feel pressured to keep what you get either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back