Which headphones reproduce human voices more accurately?
Nov 8, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #16 of 23
Actually, there's the soundcard (a Terratec EWX 24/96, I was thinking of maybe adding a DAC) and my turntable which is pretty nice, a Dual 714Q with an Ortofon OM-20 cartridge.

Headphones are Grado SR225 (bought 3 days ago and having a HARD time getting into), Sennheiser HD580 (my precious
580smile.gif
) and Sennheiser HD650.

Amplifiers include Creek OBH-11 (not great but ok), Rega EAR (I truly hate this one), and the headphone jacks on my PM-44SE and Rotel RA-02 integrated amplifiers. I have a Headfive on its way from Jan, shipped today. There's also a V1 Gilmore Lite for $200 on the for sale forum I'm thinking of buying.

As I've said, I *truly* love the Senn sound. They're my benchmark for everything else. It's just that you're always looking for something better...

As for music I like rock, progressive, metal and a lot of classical, especially vocal, especially females.

So there, a little more detailed now. All headphones are in stock form.

smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 8, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #17 of 23
And also, I'm okay with more expensive dynamic headphones (though not used, so the K1000 is out of the picture), but I'm not really ready to go electrostats just yet.

Nov 8, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #18 of 23
You can still get NOS K1000s, though they cost a pretty penny. They were made up until late 2005. Unfortunately, as far as making human voices sound just flat out REAL, and THERE, they're seriously IT that I've heard. The SR-007 (electrostat) comes close, the K701 approaches, and the MDR-R10 is absolutely fabulous too, (in fact, the only reason the SR-007 and the MDR-R10 aren't as good in my opinion are the way the spatial cues work with the soundstage, not the frequency response itself) but it's even harder to get used, let alone NOS. I guess the K701 would be my vote for now if you demand an in production dynamic headphone. Everything else just sounds like a colored representation to me; sounds good, but not accurate, not quite real.

Nov 8, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose
I notice all the answers are leaning towards more expensive electrostats.

A number of electrostatic headphones aren't too expensive (comparatively). The SR-001 Mk II system catscratch and edstrelow mentioned is a bargain at the price, in my opinion.

Nov 8, 2006 at 11:11 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mirumu
A number of electrostatic headphones aren't too expensive (comparatively). The SR-001 Mk II system catscratch and edstrelow mentioned is a bargain at the price, in my opinion.

But alas, they're not really ecletic systems, like most dynamic ones, right?

I will look for a NOS K1000, but to be completely honest I don't really like their "ear speaker" nature.

If I were to buy the K701, which amps are known to match well? I have a Headfive on the way but I don't think it would do?

Thanks again
600smile.gif

Nov 9, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #21 of 23
People, people, people, I can see you haven't been following the threads by us vintage tech geezers. (Can I be a geezer at 31?) Electrostats too big a jump but want to get into that sweet planar sound-- voices more real sounding than any dynamic can do? (pace, K1K and Grado lovers) Why not try some vintage ORTHODYNAMICS. A quick forum search will turn up the usual candidates, all available for under $100. I have one pair I got off ebay for about 10 euros that beat the pants off my DT990 or K400 for detail resolution and vocal presentation. Plus unlike electrostats you can drive them with a decent normal headphone amp.

Nov 9, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #22 of 23
I have an Original Master Headphone Amp with my 701 and I'm very sarisfied. the bass is good, the voices are real and the highs are clear but not agressives. It's a real pleasure to listen different kind of music with them. Best of all, the Original is cheap. Only 200.00$USD. Naturally they are other good amplifiers but you must spend a lot of $$$ for a better amp. ( Possibly 500.00$ and over.)

Nov 9, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #23 of 23
Head-Fiers,

Aaron Neville sounds fantastic on the AKG K701s! Listening to his voice on Linda Ronstadt's Cry Like A Rainstorm - Howl Like The Wind Amazon.ca link demonstrates the qualities of the K701.

Recommend you take some of your favourite CDs and audition as many of these headphones as possible. Nothing like hearing them with your "reference CDs".

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back