Which headphones have the best timber, tone and texture?
Sep 3, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The best I've heard, however, is still the Quad ESL-63.

That was my dream speaker years ago, when it came out. Never heard it in my system, though. Initially the HD 800 reminded me of it and the ESL-989.

Sep 3, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, nothing can be heard below 30hz for the K1000.

You're being quite optimistic.
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're being quite optimistic.
wink.gif

Not at all, I have my K1000 driven by a Manley Stingray right next to me right now.
L3000.gif

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yup, nothing can be heard below 30hz for the K1000.

That could be because instruments don't generate sounds that low. The lowest sound produced by an instrument, to my knowledge, is from the double bass - at least, when considering common music, not obscure instruments no one's ever heard of. The lowest pitch on the double bass is the E1, which is 41Hz.

People who brag about the bass extension of their cans going into 13Hz or whatever is probably making things up. Humans can't hear that low.

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by chicscantdrive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That could be because instruments don't generate sounds that low. The lowest sound produced by an instrument, to my knowledge, is from the double bass - at least, when considering common music, not obscure instruments no one's ever heard of. The lowest pitch on the double bass is the E1, which is 41Hz.

People who brag about the bass extension of their cans going into 13Hz or whatever is probably making things up. Humans can't hear that low.

Pipe organ can go down to 16hz which is about as low as human can hear.

Moreover, I tested the the bass extension of the K1000 with test tones and I couldn't hear anything below 30hz.

Sep 3, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 21
Even the lowest note on a piano A0 is tuned to appx. 21.5Hz, the average freq of the low end of human hearing. Tho there are all sorts of fun reasons we like feeling the bass freq below that range. My yamomota ha-02 is only rated down to 30 or 36. The max lower freq extreme never bothered me. Now a bit more bass might would be nice but then it might could the otherwise very strong mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back