Which Headphones for Monitoring/Mixing
Jan 30, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #16 of 83

Quote:
Understood. Currently, instead of monitors I have Missions MX1 Hi Fi speakers, which are pretty good! Not sure about the "colour" of them, and I obviously will need monitors.The 880s look sweet, but the 250 ohm Pros are a bit out of my current price range, would the 80 ohms do? (If they still make them?) Or would another choice be better?

The price of the AKG 240s and the Sennheiser HD25-1 IIs seem more in my range. I guess other factors that may help are that I have quite big ears, so need to be comfortable. And if possible I wouldn't mind them doubling up at DJ headphones... however this isn't necessary and I don't want to sacrifice the production side of them.

Also the low frequency response is pretty important.

So surprised with all the feedback here so far, I thank you all lots. 

You can try out the GMP 8.35D Monitor , as well the HD280 will do the job if you have a small head because the clamping force on the head is too strong and I do have a big head.

I think will be better for you to try out some music store like guitar center and check the hps there for yourself.

Jan 30, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #18 of 83

Quote:
You can try out the GMP 8.35D Monitor , as well the HD280 will do the job if you have a small head because the clamping force on the head is too strong and I do have a big head.

I think will be better for you to try out some music store like guitar center and check the hps there for yourself.

Well, my head's on the bigger side too haha.

Ideally looking at £120, but can go to £150 - £160.

I'll have to go on a hunt around town to see if I can find any shops with these kind of cans in there. I haven't seen any before, which is why I'm trying to get the best idea on here.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #19 of 83

Quote:
Well, my head's on the bigger side too haha.

Ideally looking at £120, but can go to £150 - £160.

I'll have to go on a hunt around town to see if I can find any shops with these kind of cans in there. I haven't seen any before, which is why I'm trying to get the best idea on here.

Well...you'll need a start point for reference, for your test and personal needs.

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:51 PM Post #20 of 83
k240s are fine for mixing.  they are a standard around the industry, especially for the price range.  for monitoring they stink though since they do very little isolating.  for tracking you are much better off with a pair of closed back headphones - sony mdr7506 and sennheiser hd280 are by far the most popular options for tracking.  you could even use a pair of IEMs.... really the important thing is isolation.  You don't want a guitarist to be unable to hear the backing tracks, and you don't want a vocalist's headphone or click tracks leaking into the vocal mic.

i haven't had any experience with the other headphones so i won't comment.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:37 PM Post #21 of 83
I'm more looking into producing computer music, than recording vocals/guitars etc. I've just been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50s soon - they seem like another god damn option.

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #22 of 83
I (personally) think the M50 are a tier below the other options you've been considering for this purpose. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #23 of 83
if you're not tracking vocals or instruments there isn't really any compelling reason to go with closed-back phones, unless you prefer that sound signature (they tend to offer more solid bass than open-back).  the 7506s are probably the only closed back phones i'd feel comfortable tracking on, and they have a little bit of upper frequency hype to them.  again, i hear the beyers are good but i can't speak from experience.

open back phones are more well-liked for mixing because they are typically a little more accurate and they almost always offer a wider stereo image/soundstage.
Quote:
I'm more looking into producing computer music, than recording vocals/guitars etc. I've just been looking at the Audio Technica ATH-M50s soon - they seem like another god damn option.

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #24 of 83
I think the KRK KNS-8400s would be great.  Low impedance, ~$120, great isolation, and neutral/accurate.  They reproduce drums very well, but are not bloated in the low end.

Jan 31, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #25 of 83

Thanks all for your replies.
Quote:
I (personally) think the M50 are a tier below the other options you've been considering for this purpose. 

So should I forget about these? I was reading around about these vs the HD25 II last night, and I mostly read people prefer the M50s?

Quote:
I think the KRK KNS-8400s would be great.  Low impedance, ~$120, great isolation, and neutral/accurate.  They reproduce drums very well, but are not bloated in the low end.

I have read about KRK headphones and people say they aren't that good, apart from the KNS-8400s you suggest. When you say they're not bloated in the low end, do you mean they don't respond that low or? I don't want them to be over the top in the low end, as I say, as neutral as I can get.

Quote:
if you're not tracking vocals or instruments there isn't really any compelling reason to go with closed-back phones, unless you prefer that sound signature (they tend to offer more solid bass than open-back).  the 7506s are probably the only closed back phones i'd feel comfortable tracking on, and they have a little bit of upper frequency hype to them.  again, i hear the beyers are good but i can't speak from experience.

open back phones are more well-liked for mixing because they are typically a little more accurate and they almost always offer a wider stereo image/soundstage.

So really I should be look for semi/open headphones for my purpose because the soundstage is better/more realistic? So from the ones that have been suggested, the K240s seem to be the only semi open in my price range, has that settled my choice for me or? :p

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:42 AM Post #26 of 83

Quote:
Thanks all for your replies.

So should I forget about these? I was reading around about these vs the HD25 II last night, and I mostly read people prefer the M50s?

I have read about KRK headphones and people say they aren't that good, apart from the KNS-8400s you suggest. When you say they're not bloated in the low end, do you mean they don't respond that low or? I don't want them to be over the top in the low end, as I say, as neutral as I can get.

So really I should be look for semi/open headphones for my purpose because the soundstage is better/more realistic? So from the ones that have been suggested, the K240s seem to be the only semi open in my price range, has that settled my choice for me or? :p

The HD-25 are on the ear hps, as well a strong clamping force as the HD-280. Most of the others monitor hps are over the ear, the M-50 are okay for the price, but a bit warm on the bass side.

Jan 31, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #27 of 83

Quote:
The HD-25 are on the ear hps, as well a strong clamping force as the HD-280. Most of the others monitor hps are over the ear, the M-50 are okay for the price, but a bit warm on the bass side.

Okay so now I'm really lost to as what to get, and I'm sure you guys are sick of my thread bumping up and down this forum. The shops around my area are more for listening purposes, none for studio use so I can't really test any of them out! Really wish I could stretch my budget for something like the K-702s.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #28 of 83

Quote:

Okay so now I'm really lost to as what to get, and I'm sure you guys are sick of my thread bumping up and down this forum. The shops around my area are more for listening purposes, none for studio use so I can't really test any of them out! Really wish I could stretch my budget for something like the K-702s.

You can call the shops to see if they have any of the mentioned models, eventually you'll to jump into the water...what music are you recording?

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #29 of 83
Jan 31, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #30 of 83
On the K701/2, read some insights here (http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k701-studio-headphones). I personally never heard these cans but they have mixed reviews. K701/2's fans have also decreased during the past years and I'm not sure why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back