Which headphones for 320k streaming service (MOG)?
Dec 10, 2012 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

givemevinyl

100+ Head-Fier
While cost isn't a major concern, I also don't want to waste money knowing my only source will be MOG, which streams at 320k, on a Macbook Pro.  I have no interest in having a debate about the quality of the source or a compressed vs lossless battle.  This is simply a result of a specific need in a specific environment.

My initial thought was to go with something like a Denon D2000 or Sennheiser IE60.  I'm open to any style (in-, on- or over-ear, open or closed), but must keep in mind that the source will never exceed 320k (well, actually, I may have a slight preference for closed, but could easily be convinced to go with open).  I've used Sennheiser HD800 and Beyerdynamic T1 through a Woo WA5-LE in another lifetime, but only because my sources were VPI turntables and Ayre CD players.  I'm assuming anything remotely approaching that kind of setup is overkill to listen exclusively to MOG.  I do, however, wish to use a DAC and head amp of some sort. Again, given the source, I was initially thinking of going the Dragonfly route, but as with the headphone, I'm open.

Thanks.

Dec 10, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #2 of 4
I am listening to MOG.com with the Senn HD598, and they are perfect for what I use them for.  They are not good for portable use however.  I like that they are open so I can hear the phone ring or someone knock on the door.   Others need complete privacy and these aren't good for that.

There are more expensive headphones out there of course, I am not ready for them at this point, as this was such a step up from what I am used to listening on.

Dec 10, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #4 of 4
Yes, I tried plugging it directly into the PC Sound Card and didn't get the volume and power I want.  The PC is connected to a digital amplifer anyway so I just plug it into that.   The receiver/amp  is a JVC shelf system that cost me a couple of hundred dollars a couple of years ago.

Supposedly you don't have to use  an amp with these phones, but I am dubious of that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back