Which headphones do you think punch above their price range ?
Dec 7, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #16 of 31
Tough question:

Senn HD-600: $299 - classical, even FR. Easy listen. More involving on OTL amps.

HFM HE-Sundara $349 - pop, jazz, rock, much metal. A lot better than any HD-400* model but no match for the 500/600. Not purist. Blue collar.

HFM HE6se v2 $699 - crushes the Ananda and everything else under $1k. Needs power. The v1 was pretty good, this version is much slicker and more complete.

Pretty dead $700-1500 range. Arya may be the best - but only with EQ if so. The Audezes don't cut it. Lots of stuff around $2k and a bit above. But if thats your range, go listen!
Good list. I would add HD6XX due to its price. I would also add Focal Clear because it is almost as good as a Utopia and is a steal under $1000. Lastly, HD800S punches way above it's price when you get it around $1200 and you pair it with a high end tube amp. It punches with the big boys over $2000 in price.

Dec 8, 2021 at 4:20 AM Post #17 of 31
The Austrian Audio Hi-X65 is an exceptional headphone at a moderate price. I listen to many musical genres, ranging from electronic music, jazz, metal and classical music. It can compete with much more expensive headphones.

Dec 8, 2021 at 5:54 AM Post #18 of 31
Price range does not equate to quality of sound in my opinion. To me, the best quality headphones range from 150-400 usd. With that said I have a few sub 100 that are just as good as the ones in the upper range of 300 or so. I would never spend more than 400 for a pair basically because the price, again, does not equate to quality.

Dec 8, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #19 of 31
After testing quite a few just now, the M40x.

Dec 8, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #20 of 31
I think Verum 1 (mk2) has a really-really good price/perfomance ratio. Actually it's a steal even at new price as I percieve it.

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #21 of 31
Price range does not equate to quality of sound in my opinion. To me, the best quality headphones range from 150-400 usd. With that said I have a few sub 100 that are just as good as the ones in the upper range of 300 or so. I would never spend more than 400 for a pair basically because the price, again, does not equate to quality.
I'm perfectly in your same school of thought.
The best purchase is the right equipment at the right price.
My advice, never pursue the path of absolute perfection at any cost.

Right now I'm listening to the Avantone Planar, they don't cost very little, but the listening is at a very high level. The A.P. I recommend them to those looking for a sound similar to the HD650, but definitely more muscular.

Dec 8, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 31
Good list. I would add HD6XX due to its price. I would also add Focal Clear because it is almost as good as a Utopia and is a steal under $1000. Lastly, HD800S punches way above it's price when you get it around $1200 and you pair it with a high end tube amp. It punches with the big boys over $2000 in price.
6xx is good like the 650. Not quite for me. Not in that class IMO. Love the Clear. Utopia = overrated. 800S with an OTL is indeed serious stuff.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #24 of 31
Koss KSC75 would be good at even double the price

Dec 8, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #25 of 31
Hifiman Edition XS

Meze Liric

Meze Elite

Denon AH-D9200

ZMF Verite

Quad ERA-1

ATH - ADX5000

Grado Hemp & Grado SR-325X

Master & Dynamic MH-40

Sennheiser HD800-S

IBasso SR2

Jabra Elite 85H

Photon Subtonic SMB02

AIAIAI TMA-1

Philipps Fidelio X3

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 5:31 PM Post #26 of 31
I have two suggestions which are in the higher-end of headphones, one dynamic and one electrostatic:

- Sennheiser HD800(S): this headphone might not be to everyone's taste, but for the many people for which it does fit, it absolutely punches above its price class, presenting the most wide soundstage and precise imaging one could get regardless of price and insane amounts of detail. To get a comparable level, in my opinion one should move to the class of Utopia and Susvara to get a similar level.

- Stax SR-007 Mk2: some might describe it as the best headphone in the world (I concur). The highest level of detail possible with great bass impact and dynamics for an electrostat. It might even beat out Susvara if driven with a good energizer.

Dec 8, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #28 of 31
There are $400-600 electrostats that, when properly amped, will match or exceed some TOTL dynamics/planars in terms of technical strengths like speed and resolution. Two examples are Nectar Sound Hive and Koss ESP950/95x. So I would say those punch way above their price range.

Now granted you have to factor in the amp you need for them to scale up and at that point...it becomes closer lol. But for just the headphones themselves, insane price-to-performance.

In dynamic-world I think the Fidelio X3 punches above its price. It's sub-$200 on Amazon right now for decently neutral tuning, solid resolution and good soundstage. That's a bargain.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #29 of 31
Having owned both the susvara and meze elite now I would say the meze elite is just as good of a headphone as the susvara, especially when you consider the cost to drive each.

The focal clear is very good value.

One I don't seem mentioned a lot is the beyer T1, it's down to around $800 and is just as good as many $1k+ headphones imo.

Dec 8, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #30 of 31
I'm perfectly in your same school of thought.
The best purchase is the right equipment at the right price.
My advice, never pursue the path of absolute perfection at any cost.

Right now I'm listening to the Avantone Planar, they don't cost very little, but the listening is at a very high level. The A.P. I recommend them to those looking for a sound similar to the HD650, but definitely more muscular.
Agreed. And those Avantone's have been on my radar for a bit now. So glad you brought those up. I may have to give myself a Christmas gift this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back