Which headphones do you guys use to run and why?
Feb 5, 2006 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Medikit

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for headphones to use while I run. I'd preferably like something that could handle a little rain since my player is reasonably water resistant. I'd love to use my Shure E4's but I'm not sure how the sweat will effect them. It sounds like most people recommend Koss models. What I'm looking for is for something that sounds good and feels so comfortable that you forget it's there.

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #2 of 24
Please do not use IEMs if you're running outside. That's just begging to be in an accident.

I like wearing the KSC-75. It fits comfortably, stays on securely, and I completely forget that it's there. It's lightweight and hardly makes its presence felt on your ear. And it's open, which is nice to have so you can hear traffic, dogs, etc. And it sounds great to boot.

Feb 5, 2006 at 5:47 AM Post #3 of 24
"Which headphones do you guys use to run and why?"

None of the above.

Why? Because I have become a fat and lazy cynic in my old age.

evil_smiley.gif

Although... a pair of K1000s would be quite a bold statement for a jog around the block.

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:06 AM Post #4 of 24
When I chaise my 3.5 YO around the park its KSC75-time.
super cheap, lifetime warranty, I dont care if they get wet or sweaty.

Garrett

Feb 5, 2006 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 24
I'm too lazy to run but if I do . . .

I would'nt use IEMs. You want to hear the audible surroundings around you.

Like mentioned above, the Koss KSC-75 or KSC-35s (if you can get them) are great IMO.

Plus, they are great value for the money.

Feb 5, 2006 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardCory
I don't listen to music when I run.

Me neither...too distracting to me. When I run I either focus on the process of running itself, random thoughts, or the scenery.

Feb 5, 2006 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 24
I use the Sony A35G vertical ones when I run.

I always really liked the vertical ones. They don't seem as nasty when they get wet. They're waterproof. They're the lightest thing with a headband. They don't go in your ear far enough to get ear wax funk on them. They fold up really small. I can wrap the cord around them and my Nano and they barely take up any space in my pocket.

Definitely a short-term thing, though. I think they're really comfortable for about an hour, then they just start making my ears uncomfortable.

The newer S2 Sports ones sound a lot better than the older ones. They have a bigger driver.

Feb 5, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 24
Philips/Nike over-the-back-of-the-neck earphones or Sony clip-over-the-ear sports earphones. Both are fairly impervious to sweat, allow outside noise to enter and will stay on if you run or ride a bike.
http://www.ciao.co.uk/Philips_Nike_H...Review_5482250

Unfortunately it looks like the highly rated Nike HJ030 is discontinued. The closest I found is the Nike HJ080:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282

If you are looking for IEM's (which I wouldn't recommend) the Etymotic 6i will be a good choice but that is because they stick pretty far into your ear and come out with a pop! I don't think that is going to be comfortable when you are running and sweating, but they DO stay in.

Feb 6, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #14 of 24
I don't like IEMs while running because of the noise of running. Thud, thud thud. It's irritating. PX100s or 200s might not be bad, Sporta Pros are designed for it.

All that said, I'd use my super.fi 3s if it wasn't for the noise, hook over the ears means they don't go anywhere no matter what I'm doing. Use them while crawling through pipe racks all the time.

Feb 6, 2006 at 4:01 AM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by gremlin
I don't like IEMs while running because of the noise of running. Thud, thud thud. It's irritating. PX100s or 200s might not be bad, Sporta Pros are designed for it.

I definitely agree with your first point: IEM + running = headache (for me, anyway). I really dont' like to use IEMs when I have to walk around much at all. Anyway, I wouldn't recommend the PX100s or PX200s for running unless the air is very still - the headband seems to pick up and amplify wind noise right by your ears. I can't even wear them walking around on a windy day. I stick with earbuds (mx500s) for running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back