Which Headphone under $200
Dec 31, 2012 at 12:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

newmaker0

New Head-Fier
Hello guys , just joined the forum. I've got a a pair of Klipsch Image S4 II and i'm not very happy with the sound quality and noise isolation so I will upgrade to an Over the ear Headphone, i just don't know which, i did a research and find out that audio-technica M50 are rlly good and cost around $150 and with the $50 i could get an Amp. But i want to know your opinion.
I mostly hear calm music with woman vocals and acoustic versions of a lot of bands, like Pearl Jam and Neil Young.Most of the time i will use my smartphone(sony Xperia S) to hear music.And a factor i rlly appreciate is noise cancelling. 

Srry for any mistake, english is not my main language. 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Dec 31, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
Hello guys , just joined the forum. I've got a a pair of Klipsch Image S4 II and i'm not very happy with the sound quality and noise isolation so I will upgrade to an Over the ear Headphone, i just don't know which, i did a research and find out that audio-technica M50 are rlly good and cost around $150 and with the $50 i could get an Amp. But i want to know your opinion.
I mostly hear calm music with woman vocals and acoustic versions of a lot of bands, like Pearl Jam and Neil Young.Most of the time i will use my smartphone(sony Xperia S) to hear music.And a factor i rlly appreciate is noise cancelling. 

Srry for any mistake, english is not my main language. 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

I've tried the M50s, AKG K550, Grado SR80i, Beyer DT770 80ohms, Senheisser HD380, and the Shure 840s and i can say that the Shures were better mainly because of the complete package, not only did they sound phenomenal but they have a detachable cable, extra pads, and a carrying case.  They also felt more comfortable to me than the m50s.  They can be had for 175 and do not need an amp to power them. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #6 of 9
Of course. First of all its not a bad pair of in ear, the sound is crystal clear, its well build, its very comfortable. I said i was not happy with the sound couse i only got into the idea of buying good headphones after i used a pair of Bose, and when i bought the Klipsch i thought the sound would at least remember the fell i had using the Bose, the fact is that in-ear sound totally diferent to over the ear headphones.That's why i'm going to buy an over the ear now.
 But there are somethings i want to share with you about the Klipsch, first of all do not buy the white ones, when they get dirty its easy to clean the wires but not the headphone it self and after some time it gets kinda yellow, second after some time the ear buds get loose so i recomend that you put some glue after you find the one that fits you better.

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
I've tried the M50s, AKG K550, Grado SR80i, Beyer DT770 80ohms, Senheisser HD380, and the Shure 840s and i can say that the Shures were better mainly because of the complete package, not only did they sound phenomenal but they have a detachable cable, extra pads, and a carrying case.  They also felt more comfortable to me than the m50s.  They can be had for 175 and do not need an amp to power them. 

Do the shure's have a foward mindrange like the Sr80i? Also I know the shure is over the ear and the grado is on ear, but IYO, sound quality wise, what were the difference's between these two model's. Thank's.

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM Post #8 of 9
I know you are asking about full size cans, but it's always nice to have a decent set of buds on hand. That said, I highly recommend the Yuin PK2 with a set of Yurbuds sleeves on them. They sound absolutely amazing (yes, way better than the S4) and with the Yurbuds on them they are incredibly comfortable, and the bass response is improved dramatically. I also own the Shure e5c and se530 IEMs and haven't used either of them since getting the Yuin PK2.  It's only about $80 and you can find the sleeves for around $15.  

As far as full sized cans are concerned, I would stay away from the M50.  I just got a pair the other day and I really don't see what all the fuss is about. They sound decent, but that's about it. Boomy bass, shrill and painful treble, and non existant midrange. No soundstage at all, and very poor instrument separation. The one thing they have going for them, at least for my head, is that they are incredibly comfortable. But everyone's head is different and comfort alone does not a good headphone make. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for your response, I know there are times and places that an in-ear will suit better but right now i don't have the money to buy an in-ear and and an over-the-ear headphones and in my opinion its better to stay with my klipsch a little longer and buy and over the ear than buy another in-ear headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back