Which headphone to try next?
Feb 6, 2008 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kippyy

New Head-Fier
I'm a head-fi newbie,but I'm trolling the threads, and getting addicted(my wallet says ouch!).
I'm looking for a portable(walking) and in-house can that will work well with my iphone, and pico(not received yet). I have Shure SE 530's, but dont feel a soundstage from them...too close to my head...I like my AT-ESW9's, but not enough volume from the headphone jack of the iphone.
I like the Bose sound in my car, so probably lean towards a bassy sound.
Mostly rock music. Price is not important.
Ultrasone? Senn? Beyer?
Any suggestions would be awesome!

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 10
Grado. Buy the best one you can afford. Go for the RS-1 if you can swing it. There's nothing better for rock and they're easily driven. Read up on them.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 10
I agree that grado's would be a good thing to try. I also recommend a pair of Sennheiser HD-25's for portable use. I tried out a pair of these once, and I really think they are one of the best in the portable headphone market.

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:28 AM Post #6 of 10
Sorry, but i think Grado not recommended for him, because Grado not in Bass department
biggrin.gif
, koss portapro is good but not for a long use, not too comfortable, sennheiser px 100? hmmmm.... maybe

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 10
The Ultrasone ED9 bass blows anything out of the water, when driven directly from an average source. Price no object: $1500. It should be loud enough from an iPhone, but since you're getting a Pico, you should be fine driving those.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the feedback..its great to hear the voices of experience..
I think I'll research the Grados, and wait til I have the Pico before purchase..
I was under the impression that Grados or any full size cans were not suitable for iPods, too much impedance, too heavy to walk with, etc
Does the quest for "another headphone" ever end? Or am I becoming addicted?

Feb 6, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kippyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was under the impression that Grados or any full size cans were not suitable for iPods, too much impedance, too heavy to walk with, etc

The Grado SR60 and SR80 are quite suitable for use straight from a DAP and are not too heavy. Packing them when, say, going on a flight is a bit tricky because they are larger, but not when you're just walking. They are hit or miss with some because stock, some people feel they get a bit uncomfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back