Which headphone to supplement HD650?
Oct 9, 2017 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

champ1877

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm looking for a second over-ear headphone to supplement my HD650. The plan is to own just the two headphones, and my wishlist is so long that it is more confusing than helpful.
  • Budget similar to HD650 or lower (will buy second-hand)
  • Something with a different sound signature than HD650
  • I'm listening to all kinds of genres, but the majority is electronic and rock/metal.
  • Open/closed doesn't matter
  • At the moment I don't have dedicated DAC/amp, but that will come later
All suggestions are very welcome!!

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 25
You need a budget.

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 25
Sorry less than the 650’s

Oct 9, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 25
The HE-400S is very close to the 650 in tonality but with much better soundstage.

Oct 9, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #5 of 25
Hmm, different sound signature than the 650? The HD650 has you covered for an open-back headphone that is pretty much the perfect all-rounder.

Though as a person who listens to electronic music, I'll say you are missing out. Not that the HD650 isn't excellent for electronic, it is, it just is good for certain types, but doesn't have the low-end and highs that you may want.

For a long while in head-fi that natural complement to the HD650 was a closed back like the Denon AH-D2000, if you find one in great shape grab one. But they have been revived in many shapes and forms, with tweaks to their sound signature, but overall all of the designs have similar capabilties. So look into Fostex TH600, TH610, E-mu Teak, Denon D7200, Denon D600 (if very cheap), Massdrop Fostex TH-X00. They all have the biocellulose driver similar to the D2000 / D5000 series.

With these headphones, you will markedly more extended bass, with much less of mid-bass hump. This can make them sound a bit colder, but after a while you'll really appreciate the low-end clarity in a wide-range of music and movies. The highs can be a bit sharp, but they work well for electronic, metal, progressive metal and finely recorded classical. Just a small EQ to the top range can easily 'fix' this if its an issue. The D2000 actually measure very linear. Great match for the HD650.

They are semi-closed, so will provide a bit of isolation. With the exception of the TH610, D600 and D7200 they all have fixed cables. Not the most portable of headphones. All easy to drive right off of an iphone. They improve with higher quality amps a bit but it isn't necessary at all.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #6 of 25
Hi all, I'm looking for a second over-ear headphone to supplement my HD650. The plan is to own just the two headphones, and my wishlist is so long that it is more confusing than helpful.
  • Budget similar to HD650 or lower (will buy second-hand)
  • Something with a different sound signature than HD650
  • I'm listening to all kinds of genres, but the majority is electronic and rock/metal.
  • Open/closed doesn't matter
  • At the moment I don't have dedicated DAC/amp, but that will come later
All suggestions are very welcome!!

Grado SR225

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 25
I have Grado's 325e alongside my hd600's. The Grado's give me a more detailed and faster sound, great for electronica and classical whilst the Sennys give me a more rounded and relaxed listen. Definitely best of both worlds for me.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:22 AM Post #8 of 25
For a long while in head-fi that natural complement to the HD650 was a closed back like the Denon AH-D2000, if you find one in great shape grab one. But they have been revived in many shapes and forms, with tweaks to their sound signature, but overall all of the designs have similar capabilties. So look into Fostex TH600, TH610, E-mu Teak, Denon D7200, Denon D600 (if very cheap), Massdrop Fostex TH-X00. They all have the biocellulose driver similar to the D2000 / D5000 series.

Thank you for the detailed response!

I believe the D-2000 (or similar) is a great suggestion. Have you tested all - or some - of these different models? It would be great to hear which you prefer and why - even though it sounds like the variations are minor.

Oct 10, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #9 of 25
The Grado's are some I would like to audition soon. I have always disregarded them due to the form. Now I see that they are confusingly reported as both on-ear and overear. Im I rght in assuming they are on-ear unless you have very small ears?

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 25
Tbh im not sure whether they are on ear or not, I do find them comfy though.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #11 of 25
The Grado's are some I would like to audition soon. I have always disregarded them due to the form. Now I see that they are confusingly reported as both on-ear and overear. Im I rght in assuming they are on-ear unless you have very small ears?

They have both supra-aural and circumaural earpads that fit into every headphone in the line up. It's just a matter of what each headphone comes with but you can swap them out if you want.

Oct 10, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #12 of 25
I have only spet time extensively with the AH-D2000 and AH-D600. I’ve auditioned the AH-D7100 and Fostex TH900.

Between the 2000 and 600, the 2000 is more linear sounding. The 600 may well be more fun, and is more comfortable actually among the most comfortable headphones I’ve owned. Don’t have them side by side to compare.

The D7100 was pretty much the 600 but more expensive and even a little stranger in tonality. Probably the oddest of the series. The TH900 was awesome, and a bit more extended sounding or perhaps more v-shaped in tuning than the 2000. It was a lot more expensive. While 2000 may be a poor mans 900, it isn’t by much.

From the graphs, it may be that the D2000 is the most linear one neutral of the designs. It was built in a time just before the headphone ‘scene’ had really taken off and also before the consumer influence of Beats headphones changed manufacturers approach to sound signatures. The D2000 is high fidelity and doesn’t dampen down the highend. It is linear in the lowend without the typica mid bass hump even seen in the 650

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #14 of 25
I have the hd600's and the 325's are very different, make sure you take a listen first as the 325's can have a bit of a hard edge to the sound but detail is incredible. I wouldnt see the 325 as an upgrade from the hd600's just very different.
Now can someone find me a headphone which has the qualites of both these in one!!

Oct 10, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 25
I have the hd600's and the 325's are very different, make sure you take a listen first as the 325's can have a bit of a hard edge to the sound but detail is incredible. I wouldnt see the 325 as an upgrade from the hd600's just very different.
Now can someone find me a headphone which has the qualites of both these in one!!
As for hardness, Project Polaris has the option to tame the higher frequencies, but did you test the HD "650" to be able to make a brief comparison between them ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back