Which headphone to supplement HD650?
Oct 12, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #18 of 25
If you want different then Grado is that. The pads are foam and they make several versions as some are totally on hear and others are wider but still do sit on your ears a bit if you have big ears but the ones I’ve tried do not have a lot of clamp so I don’t find then uncomfortable. The last pair I listened to was the RS2E and thought they were pretty good but the pads are foam and am sure cut with some kind of hot wire and that does tend to make parts of them hard. I would think a bit of sandpaper to break that off would make them pretty nice. Heard a pair of GS1000’s a few years back and loved those but have yet to find a pair as I don’t want the new ones .

Oct 12, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #19 of 25
Hi all, I'm looking for a second over-ear headphone to supplement my HD650. The plan is to own just the two headphones, and my wishlist is so long that it is more confusing than helpful.
  • Budget similar to HD650 or lower (will buy second-hand)
  • Something with a different sound signature than HD650
  • I'm listening to all kinds of genres, but the majority is electronic and rock/metal.
  • Open/closed doesn't matter
  • At the moment I don't have dedicated DAC/amp, but that will come later
All suggestions are very welcome!!
If your not using a decent headphone amplifier to drive your 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD650, chances are are you not getting the best out of the HD650.
What sources do you currently plug the HD650 into?

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #20 of 25
Good to know, because after buying the Sennheiser HD 650 I would like to buy the Grado SR325e and the AKG K712, but taking the wider sound stage, what does the AKG K712 have that the Sennheiser HD 650 does not have ?

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #21 of 25
Good to know, because after buying the Sennheiser HD 650 I would like to buy the Grado SR325e and the AKG K712, but taking the wider sound stage, what does the AKG K712 have that the Sennheiser HD 650 does not have ?
Well for one they will be much brighter. Some think that a brighter headphone renders more detail and that is not always the case as the 650’s do a pretty good job at detail retrieval. It just seems more apparent on brighter headphones. The biggest difference will be in sound signature as these are much brighter.

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:53 PM Post #22 of 25
Well for one they will be much brighter. Some think that a brighter headphone renders more detail and that is not always the case as the 650’s do a pretty good job at detail retrieval. It just seems more apparent on brighter headphones. The biggest difference will be in sound signature as these are much brighter.
Actually I wanted to buy the K712 thanks to its sound stage that says to be immense, I would like to get it for movies and live recordings, how much to the brightness ... Well, Project Polaris can find a way.

Oct 12, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #23 of 25
I think that the K712 is a good supplement pair, although I personally use a DT 770 as my second pair cause I need a closed back.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #25 of 25
If your not using a decent headphone amplifier to drive your 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD650, chances are are you not getting the best out of the HD650.
What sources do you currently plug the HD650 into?

Well, I actually have a Valab DAC & Heed Canamp, but will sell them as soon as I gain access to the buy/sell forum (supposed to happen after 15 posts).
I have been happy with them as a HD650 setup, but I feel like trying an integrated DAC+amp solution.

My point was that the new headphones don't need to be matched to a specific source. I might give priority to phones that can be driven straight from laptop/phone, but it is not at all a requirement.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back