Which headphone sounds best with low volume?
Mar 21, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #16 of 24
If you listen to a lot of female vocals, my suggestion is to stay away from the A900. From my experience with them, the vocals on the A900 are very colored and recessed. To me the vocals on the A900 sounded fake. The A900 are average in every area and don't really excel with any type of music. The A900 had good soundstage and they look cool (to me anyway) but sound quality wise there are much better headphones for the price (such as the sennheiser HD580 and grado sr 225). Of course this is all judging by the sound quality . For female vocals, ideally you'd want an RS1, but those are very expensive and leak almost all the sound out so they'd be horrible for an office environment.

Mar 21, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Zenja you bit me to it, that is exactly what I had in mind. Because of what you mention, a good candidate might be the GS1000, which is known to have a response with pronounced bass and treble, but recessed mids.

I was wondering why nobody until you did, mentioned the GS-1000. They're made for low volume listening as their frequency response is just like the other Grados, but with raised Bass and Treble. The price isn't so low though.

Mar 31, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizkid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W5000 is easily the most superior headphone for low listening levels. It delivers everything at low levels, detail, dynamics, impact....

It looks stunning. The kind of look you just want to sound good. I looked for reviews, and this one was somewhat less than stellar. People essentially preferring $300 cans over the rather expensive W5000.

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For low volume listening, the SR-404 was the best that I've come across by a very good margin. It really manages to hang in there and keep the soundstage open and the image coherent at much lower volumes than other headphones. Now, the SR-404 is a bit steep given the budget, but perhaps the SR-202 with the SRM-252 amp might work out.

Another enthusiastic vote for the Stax Lambdas for extremely satisfying low volume listening. Can't say anything about the SR404, but my SR303 and SR202 do very well, even if fed from the small SRM212. The detail and air are breathtaking. And the bass reaches (almost) subsonic levels. When going loud not as much hard and dry bass punch (and definition) as with some - well amped - dynamic phones but for low volume listening I prefer even the entry level SR202 to my dynamic phones for all sorts of Jazz and Classical music.

Apr 1, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks stunning. The kind of look you just want to sound good. I looked for reviews, and this one was somewhat less than stellar. People essentially preferring $300 cans over the rather expensive W5000.

What are you talking about ? The review was almost entirely positive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back