Which headphone is to YOU the most "balanced" sound signature wise?
May 3, 2010 at 2:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

K_19

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

Just wanted to see where people here on the headphone forum's point of reference for perfectly "balanced" sound signature is. What I am looking to see here is not what you think is "technically" balanced (so none of the flat graphs, best harmonic distortion rating, and stuff like that) but rather, what sounds the most perfectly balanced from bottom to top to YOU. And no one else. Let's leave things such as soundstage, detail retrieval and transients out of the discussion here as well. We're talking in terms of what strikes the best balance of "highs", "mids" and "lows" in your ears.

I'll start with mine: ESW10JPN. These have perfect balance of highs, mids, and lows to my ears. I know these have too forward of mids for many people as well as bass that may seem slightly weak to many, but to me, they get all three categories perfectly for my ears. Highs that are not TOO extended, but still nice and sparkly, mids that are forward and intimate, and bass that is tight yet just the right amount of weight. Of course, they fall well short in areas of soundstage and detail, but sound balance wise, they are reference point for me of something that is "just right".

What's yours?

May 3, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #2 of 77
Out of the ones I've owned MB Quart QP805 HS is the most balanced sounding can. Out of the ones I've heard - probably HD800, but I didn't spend much time with it to really be sure.

May 3, 2010 at 4:01 AM Post #6 of 77
The HD600 with the ESW10JPN a close second
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #8 of 77
German Maestro 435S with oval pads.

May 3, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all,

Just wanted to see where people here on the headphone forum's point of reference for perfectly "balanced" sound signature is. What I am looking to see here is not what you think is "technically" balanced (so none of the flat graphs, best harmonic distortion rating, and stuff like that) but rather, what sounds the most perfectly balanced from bottom to top to YOU. And no one else. Let's leave things such as soundstage, detail retrieval and transients out of the discussion here as well. We're talking in terms of what strikes the best balance of "highs", "mids" and "lows" in your ears.

I'll start with mine: ESW10JPN. These have perfect balance of highs, mids, and lows to my ears. I know these have too forward of mids for many people as well as bass that may seem slightly weak to many, but to me, they get all three categories perfectly for my ears. Highs that are not TOO extended, but still nice and sparkly, mids that are forward and intimate, and bass that is tight yet just the right amount of weight. Of course, they fall well short in areas of soundstage and detail, but sound balance wise, they are reference point for me of something that is "just right".

What's yours?

Best frequency balance - Stax Omega 2. It's flat and natural. Someone call the omegas dark but I've noticed that their FR is highly dependent on the voltage and amplification. Even slightest current fluctuations can cause alteration - peaky highs or bloated bass. Underamping or pairing with not warmed amp may result in darker sound.

I like very much the sound signature ot my AKG k141 Monitor. They're not flat at all - dull highs and humped bass but they fit very much my computer rig and my main music, electronica. Due to the rolled off highs they're the most forgiving headphones I've ever heard and the tight impactful bass is FUN!
o2smile.gif

May 3, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #10 of 77
To these ears, of the few cans I've listened to I'd rank them this way:

1. JH13 demo/universal
2. HD600
3. ESW10JPN

The ESW10JPN has a slight treble and upper-mid tilt that might not be the last word in neutrality. But it does have some sparkle which is absolutely magical on some Wes Montgomery. Love it! But with most RVG re-masters (which are bright and grainy) the treble tilt and sparkle doesn't mate very well with the excessively bright sound inherent in the record.

May 3, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #11 of 77
From recent personal experience... in this order.

DT880/600ohm
HD600
DT880/250ohm
SRH840
ATH-M50

May 3, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #12 of 77
The HD-800, K-1000, HP-2, and Omega 2, Mk. 1 all sound very well balanced to me. Honorable mention to the HD-600 and K-501, as well. The Quad ESL-63s are also very well balanced - and they cost less than the first four headphones I mentioned.
eek.gif

May 3, 2010 at 7:44 AM Post #13 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely are the HD800's. The HD600's are not too far behind.

x2 as well as the k1000

May 3, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #15 of 77
I think the HD600, K601, and Shure SRH840 are all pretty balanced. The HD800 is slightly tipped up in the treble (not in a bad way... I loved them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back