Which Headphone Amplifier To Get? (New or Vintage)
Nov 18, 2009 at 9:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Kitarist

100+ Head-Fier
I own Grado SR 225 and i'm thinking about buying a great for the price headphone amp.

I'm looking at the qinpu A3 amp but would like to know if theres anything better if i would pay a little bit more?

What about something vintage thats not expensive would i get better quality and warmer sound?

I'm listening to Beatles, Guitr related stuff (Satriani,Andy Timmons) Blues,Rock...

Thanks!!!

Nov 18, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 9
There really hasn't been anything "new" in amplifier design for decades.
wink.gif
Consider source first.

Nov 20, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 9
Nov 20, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #9 of 9
Kitarist, its a chain and the chain will only ever be as good as its weakest link.

Assume you are a more traditional Head-Fier, and you currently have something like this:

CD Player -> Integrated Amp -> Speakers/Headphones

It doesnt really matter what you buy in terms of speakers and headphones, if your CDP or amp isnt up to scratch, they will only be shining a bright light on a blurry image. Similarly, upgrading your amp will only amplify the imperfections of your CDP, particularly its digital-to-analog converter.

Those of us who use a portable player as our main source (in the office, for example) can often improve things significantly with a good portable amp, but it will only give you a 'bigger' version of what comes out of your player without the amp. For me, a good DAC is where its at : once you have that (either as part of a CDP or a separate component), you can look at an amp. Many of the amps sold for use with a computer source are DAC/amp combinations, so you can kill two birds with one stone, but you still need to make sure you get a unit that does more than simply make everything louder.

If you are new to audio, I'd recommend getting an entry-level CDP from someone like Cambridge Audio (they have a very good headphone out, even in their budget players) and spending time with that before you go looking for an amp. If you already have a portable player and you like the sound of that, check out the Portable Amps section.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back