Which Guitar Offer would you take?
Jul 4, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #46 of 68
Jul 4, 2007 at 7:33 AM Post #47 of 68
Good choice on the Gibson! Here's my lovely Les Paul Standard:

Les2.jpg

Talk about love! I mean, Strats are great and all. But something about a meaty Gibson in your hands is something special.

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:34 PM Post #48 of 68
nice video Jahn, Mine shipped out yesterday with a UPS scheduled delivery of the 9th. Got the seller to throw in a complimentary strap, hehe. Damn holidays in the middle of the week
blink.gif

This could very easily become my favorite axe!
cool.gif

Also finding out that strings (currently D'Addario 10-46s) start to sound kinda funky after about 3-4 weeks when you practice min 3 to 4 hours a day
blink.gif

I think I'm going to pick up a set of Elixur Polywebs today for my strat. I'm told they will last 3 -5 times longer and have great tone.
cool.gif

BTW... sweet LP there, Redo!
cool.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #49 of 68
Yep yep - I think the Gibson Axe/Fender Amp combo is what I'm going to stick with!

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #50 of 68
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep yep - I think the Gibson Axe/Fender Amp combo is what I'm going to stick with!

I LIED.

So I'm still waiting for this...
Desktop.jpg

And it's in transit right now. So I get to thinkin - I have a little acoustic downstairs, why not a little amp for playin' electric downstairs too? For when I need to play it there 'cause the 'Verb would blow my kid off his bed while he was sleepin' - that, and it's WAY too heavy to take down the stairs. So seeing as how i got a blue guitar, why not a blue amp?

EpiAmpBlue.jpg

Yep this is the Epi version of the Gibson GA5T Skylark. This is a '68 USA-made beastie, basically a Class A point to point all tube Fender Champ wannabe with two differences - it has tremolo, and it uses an EL84 instead of a 6V6 power tube (has two 12AX7 preamps tho like the champ, etc.) Still has everything original in it going strong, including the speaker!
EpiAmpBackBlue.jpg

But I'm so used to reverb since the Fender has been serving it up so lushly...what to do? Well I do have a blue Boss pedal, but it's a Compressor/Sustainer I got as part of my tradein for the Vox 30VT I got rid of. So since it's a new pedal from GC with the receipt still, I just returned it an swapped it for a 'verb stomper!

HolyGrail-1.jpg

They don't just make tubes y'know! I'm soooo set for my Blue Period, but all that's in the house right now is the pedal. By the end of next week tho the Curse You thread will be ready for a new update! Oh, but I have a few mods in mind already for the axe and amp...

Jul 7, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #51 of 68
sweet! nice score on the little amp! I just got my vox ad30vt and for now it kicks ass! Maybe in a couple years when i can play a lot better , i'll look into grabbing a blues jr
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #52 of 68
I use a Cube 30 (heard great things about the Vox modler) but I was lusting for a Pro Junior. Then the other day, I got a new pedal and I was flipping through all the amp simulations on the cube 30. With 2 or three of the amps the pedal sounded great, not so great with the rest. So now I have to say, I'm pretty sold on modelling amps -- just for the variety and combinations. I know it's not "purist", but I also like tone controls on my preamp!

Jul 7, 2007 at 7:33 PM Post #53 of 68
I'm really pleased with my new vox. Not only does it have 11 different amp models, but you can alter them with the seperate gain, volume, treble, mid and bass controls as well. Then you have 11 different effects options which are also adjustable. Man, you can sit here for hours just playing with different sounds from this amp with each pup setting
blink.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #54 of 68
Just got my new Colonel today! Man this thing is beautiful!! Definately the nicest guitar i own now
tongue.gif
Only, I don't think it is gonna fit into the new coffin case that i have on the way
frown.gif
this is way bigger than a strat
tongue.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #55 of 68
Jahn-If you're still thinking of replacing the pickups check out GFS pickups from GuitarFetish. They make some cool humbucker-size Retrotrons and P90s. And don't be scared off by the low prices. Check out the online reviews. Friend of mine has a Dream 90 in an old Harmony and it sounds great. I've got a couple of Mean 90's that I'm installing in a hollowbody Ibanez. Great customer service, too.

Jul 11, 2007 at 5:48 AM Post #56 of 68
hey now i just got a package from guitarfetish! it was for the wilkinson roller bridge. i'm on a 3-week waiting list for harmonic design Z-90 pickups, and a B7 Bigsby and Grover autolocking rotomatic tuners are on the way too. I'm gonna make this thing SO twangilicious!

oh, and the guitar came too. niiiice. but the selector switch keeps springing back to the middle position only, hehe - i'll get that fixed once all the gear is here for mods. so yeah, no Curse update for a month until this blue baby is up and running!

and congrats on your new axe too Hermitt! ain't semi-hollows a blast?

Jul 11, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #57 of 68
wow.. fantastic link there Cooter! I've been looking all over for the same roller bridge that is on my new Colonel and that site has it! The Wilkinson roller bridge
tongue.gif
I wanted a source in case i needed any extra roller saddles. Those gold Retrotrons look exactly like the ones on my Colonel also
tongue.gif
I think I might trade out my clear/black knobs for the set that is clear/black with gold tophats too!
tongue.gif
Maybe even pick up a couple pearloid pickguards in white and in black just so I can change once in a while!
tongue.gif

Hey Jahn, I just love this new Colonel, btw, it is a full hollow body with an ash arch top and an arched back. I just love the neck! My only complaint is that the open G string sounds kinda flat. But only when using a plectrum. Thumbing it sounds dead on.
blink.gif
It came with D'Addario 10-46s but I forsee a new set of Elixirs in the very near future! Yes.. this definately is gonna be my favorite axe for a while. At least until I can garner up the $4k to get a 'real' Gretsch White Falcon!
blink.gif

Jul 11, 2007 at 8:52 PM Post #58 of 68
ah the full blown real deal hollowbody, coolness! so the wilkinson roller bridge does it for you? good news for when i pop mine on, good!

Jul 11, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #59 of 68
The wilkinson roller is what came stock on this one, but I wanted to know where to get any parts if I need them
cool.gif

Quick question on strings... I've been noticing that a lot of acoustics and jazz type guitars use heavier strings for better tone. Should I stick with the 10-46s, go to 10-49s or go to 11-52s? i really like the 10-46 elixir nanowebs that I just put on my strat, but if I want better tone, especially un plugged, I'm thinking maybe the 11-52s.
blink.gif

Jul 12, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #60 of 68
i admit to using 11-52s on my electrics, but that's just because i use piano wire on my acoustics and i'm used to it, hehe. but yes, you'll get a nice fat tone with thicker strings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back