Which Grado's are a "must-have"?
Oct 8, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #31 of 107
Buying headphones by the look is a pretty weird idea. IMO, you should try them yourself. The Grados have their house sound which some may find appealing, while some may find fatiguing. In my case, I'll pick D5000 or HD650 before GS1000 or RS-1 any day.

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #32 of 107
Just buy whichever you can afford. If your budget is above the GS-1000 then buy something expensive and out of production like the HP1000. If you want street-cred around here and don't have unlimited budget then buy something cheap(er) and out of production like the SR200.

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #33 of 107
Yup, outmatch; one day I'll certainly pick HD600 over MS2i....

.....another day I'll just as likely pick MS2i over HD600.

Choice can be fun too!
rs1smile.gif
600smile.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #34 of 107
Actuially answering the op's question, it's because nothing out there comes close to matching Grado's sound signature. In one word, it's very "brash".

You won't necessarily like the signature, but you can't find it elsewhere.

As for the "sweet spot," really it's the SR-60. Calling a $250 can inexpensive is simply ludicrous. SR-60's have great resale value and starting higher when the odds that you'll hate them as much as you like them is not sound advice.

The HP series sounds nothing like the SR/RS series. It's a completely different phone that people crave for a completely different reasons.

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:32 PM Post #35 of 107
I don't think any headphone is a "must have" based strictly on looks. Thats a foolish way to evaluate audio components... unless your eyes have the ability to hear.

Grados in particular should be heard before bought. They have a unique sound that is always love/hate. Ergonomically they can kill, fit and comfort is also a love/hate thing depending on the individual.

IMHO the SR325i is the best looking of the SR series. Sonically however the HF1 puts a smile on my face more often than not, altohugh its pretty plain-jane looking.

I would recommend an MS1. Its one of the easier Grados to like sonically and its comfy pads are more comfortable than bowls. It won't break the bank too, and you can always re-sell them for around $90.

Oct 9, 2007 at 7:56 AM Post #36 of 107
To me, the ms2 does sound a bit like the HP2 but the HP2 does everything better than the ms2. I think of the HP2 as a hybrid of ms2 and rs2.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, thanks for the info, which partially pretty known.

If this the true, that Alessandro's sounds like HP series, then I don't understand the whole hype about HP's.
So, here we go again, I hardly doubt about similarity between Alessandro's and HP's as well, however never heard of HP series yet. Only the person who had the chance to hear them side by side can tell.

Anyone?

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #37 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this the true, that Alessandro's sounds like HP series, then I don't understand the whole hype about HP's.
So, here we go again, I hardly doubt about similarity between Alessandro's and HP's as well, however never heard of HP series yet. Only the person who had the chance to hear them side by side can tell.

Anyone?

I have both, the MS-pro, the MS-2(i) and the HP-2 - and for me the HP-2 is still playing in a different league. It's just more balanced and somehow manages to sound just right with no noticable flaws.

But back to topic: for me the Grado with the best price-performance-ratio would be the HF-1.

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #38 of 107
Thanks man, I know enough

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both, the MS-pro, the MS-2(i) and the HP-2 - and for me the HP-2 is still playing in a different league. It's just more balanced and somehow manages to sound just right with no noticable flaws.

But back to topic: for me the Grado with the best price-performance-ratio would be the HF-1.

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #39 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL /img/forum/go_quote.gif

how bout rs2?

Oct 9, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #40 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how bout rs2?

Only heard the RS2 once but quite liked it back then. Living in Europe the MS-Pro was just the cheaper option for me at that time - but I guess the RS2 also is one of the Grados with a better price-performance-ratio than some.

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #41 of 107
I prefer RS2 over MS PRO. You can listen to almost any gengre using them, but I liked them with acoustic guitars at most, even more than GS1k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how bout rs2?

Oct 9, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #43 of 107
I would say RS2 or RS1. You have to try both to choose one that feats your taste better.
Another one are SR225, but only if you can not effort first two.

Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK guys, so which Grado would you choose, if you were allowed to have just one pair? I'm leaning towards RS2's 'cause GS1000's don't attract me, especially price-wise.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back