Which Grado's are a "must-have"?
Oct 8, 2007 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 107

ueyteuor

1000+ Head-Fier
So I want a Grado headphone just because I like the look, and I never heard a Grado headphone before, so which is absolutely just worth having, if I were to have just 1 Grado out there?

Oct 8, 2007 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 107
What's your budget? Id say if there is only one grado... RS-2. But, I'm sure you're looking for something more reasonably priced. The SR-80's should be a good introduction to Grado's as should the SR-225's.

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:08 AM Post #5 of 107
yeah, ms2 is a fun cans, get it for collection :p

Oct 8, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #6 of 107
very different opinions here...for my money, the best price/performance grado is the sr60. so much sound for so little dough. the next step up for me is all the way to the sr325, though i think i'd still rather have the sr60. if i could have any grado and money wasn't an issue, it would be the rs1.

Oct 8, 2007 at 8:06 AM Post #7 of 107
Please do not take this personal, but I think that this kind of questions are a bit silly.
Every Grado has something that you can like about it, so to say buy this one or that one isn't right.
You can simply be very satisfied with SR60, but the same time pretty picky about RS1.
If you want to collect them, just buy all of them, if you can of course. If you want one for your listening, just go and listen to them.

Good luck.

Oct 8, 2007 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by ueyteuor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I want a Grado headphone just because I like the look, and I never heard a Grado headphone before, so which is absolutely just worth having, if I were to have just 1 Grado out there?

if we are talking 'low-mid' range.

then the 325i is cool, as its got a different look from its younger brothers and sisters.

Oct 8, 2007 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 107
The only Grados I have listened to are SR225 and SR325i. I found SR225's sound being kind of nonsense. Shiny midrange and silky trebles. This is a Grado sound for Sennheiser fans IMHO.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Grado SR325i are definitely better and they are probably most Grado in the Grado. They are powerful, lively, well detailed, and have much better imaging than SR225 which build the soundstage directly through your head, with no depth actually. So, to start with Grado, I'd go for something cheap or for the sweet spot which is SR325i IMHO.

Oct 8, 2007 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 107
Wouldn't say that the MS2 is a "must have", as it only shines with certain genres & moods and otherwise provides stress & listening fatigue.

It's the small and cheap MS1 that should be part of anybody's collection IMO. Great sounding allrounder (except classical), Grados successful DT531 attempt
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #11 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only Grados I have listened to are SR225 and SR325i. I found SR225's sound being kind of nonsense. Shiny midrange and silky trebles. This is a Grado sound for Sennheiser fans IMHO.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Grado SR325i are definitely better and they are probably most Grado in the Grado. They are powerful, lively, well detailed, and have much better imaging than SR225 which build the soundstage directly through your head, with no depth actually. So, to start with Grado, I'd go for something cheap or for the sweet spot which is SR325i IMHO.

Is there any difference in sound between the 2 brothers: SR325 and SR325i ?

Also you say "cheap"? at $250+ this is cheap for u?

regards,

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:16 AM Post #12 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wouldn't say that the MS2 is a "must have", as it only shines with certain genres & moods and otherwise provides stress & listening fatigue.

while I agree the MS2i isn't a must-have (no one headphone is a must-have as there is too much subjectivity involved IMHO) but I was wondering what genres do not work with your MS2i? In my setup (NAD C542 -> HeadFive -> MS2i) only large-scale classical, Hip-Hop, dance are not 'optimal' with the MS2i but never because of stress or listening fatigue (respectively because of soundstage and 2x bass quantity). With the Marantz CD5001 I did experience some sibilance, but the 'warmer' C542 solved those issues and I look forward to trying some tubes with the MS2i as well.

I think the MS2i (as so many headphones) needs a bit of care to find synergy selecting setup-components. If/when this is done, the MS2i is a very good all round headphone IMHO (I listen to lots of stuff going from 2many DJ's and aphex twin over damien rice, Sophia, Mogwai, GY!BE, Kyuss, QOTSA, Sunn O))), Tool, Wilco, Shellac, Primus, Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie to Bach and Arvo Pärt)

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:23 AM Post #13 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any difference in sound between the 2 brothers: SR325 and SR325i ?

Also you say "cheap"? at $250+ this is cheap for u?

regards,

the 325(no 'i') was considered overly bright and hence the launch of the 'i(mproved)' version which tempered the highs a bit (relatively as it still is one of the brightest grados around)

$250 is definitely cheap(ish) for Head-Fi and for grado: just have a look at the prices of the RS1 (and 2), GS1000, HP1 and 2, PS1 but also the other higher end headphones (K1000, upper line ATHs, edition9, 600Ω Beyers, headphiled stuff, ...)

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:45 AM Post #14 of 107
Quote:

Originally Posted by Televator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
while I agree the MS2i isn't a must-have (no one headphone is a must-have as there is too much subjectivity involved IMHO) but I was wondering what genres do not work with your MS2i? In my setup (NAD C542 -> HeadFive -> MS2i) only large-scale classical, Hip-Hop, dance are not 'optimal' with the MS2i but never because of stress or listening fatigue (respectively because of soundstage and 2x bass quantity). With the Marantz CD5001 I did experience some sibilance, but the 'warmer' C542 solved those issues and I look forward to trying some tubes with the MS2i as well.

I think the MS2i (as so many headphones) needs a bit of care to find synergy selecting setup-components. If/when this is done, the MS2i is a very good all round headphone IMHO (I listen to lots of stuff going from 2many DJ's and aphex twin over damien rice, Sophia, Mogwai, GY!BE, Kyuss, QOTSA, Sunn O))), Tool, Wilco, Shellac, Primus, Thelonious Monk, Dizzy Gillespie to Bach and Arvo Pärt)

I do not like the MS2 for electronica, especially not the more slow paced sort (too much tiptoe'ing, no chilling abilities). IMO, it needs doughtly played acoustical instruments to shine. It doesn't exactly sound *wrong* with Aphex twin or Arvo Pärt, but "conventional" fons such as the DT880, the K701 or a simple DT531 provide a much more coherent presentation of such stuff.

I doubt that this can be "cured" completely by gear. I have a lush & warm Millet and even ohm adapters (the latter was your recommendation) available, but I keep grabbing the DT880 if I am in downbeat mood.

And I grab the MS2 when I feel like tiptoe'ing or critical concentrated listening. Did you ever try Amon Tobin with the MS2? Built for that...
tongue.gif

Oct 8, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #15 of 107
Yup; unfortunately $250 is rather inexpensive in the real world. A lot of folks would seriously consider $300 as the sweet spot in the Grado/Alessandro universe, as you get the higher quality materials and workmanship of the woodies at half the price, coupled with SQ which is quite close as well.

There is nothing that can out-Grado a Grado for what a Grado does, but for phones that ease on over into the more general forms of music, as well as rock, the Alessandro versions seem to have a wider acceptance.

And yup; if budget is a concern, the MS-1 is a good one to consider. From the strictly Grado side, again looking at budget; the SR-80 seems to have the greatest following as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back