Which Grado SR/Alessandro MS has the most bass impact?
Dec 23, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ko Nectic Jazz
You're not wrong, but I read several posts about ms1 and I wasn't disappointed... after break in, I should admit. :wink:

smily_headphones1.gif

Well, you got lucky
smily_headphones1.gif

or you were good at deciding which problems/features you could and couldn't live with/out

When buying my first pair of phones, I found it difficult to decide based on all the good things that people have said about them. I decided to start looking for the bad things so that I can decide which things I can live with and live without. In the end, I still got Grados
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=152380

Read that, you'll find what people don't like about Grados... hopefully it'll help you make your decision.

Dec 23, 2005 at 3:58 PM Post #17 of 21
I have tried various tube amps (Mapletree, Jasmine, etc) with my Grados (RS-1, RS-2, etc) and I have found they bring out the base as well as tone done the treble. I will say that the OTL tube amps do not sound as well (at least to me) as the tube amps with output transformers.

So yes a tube amp will make a Grado sound much better. Good luck.

Dec 23, 2005 at 7:44 PM Post #18 of 21
I have a 30 year old sherwood tube amp at home. It can be a little murky with details and seperation but can be downright visceral bringing the instruments into the same space. Doesn't seem like I am wearing headphones at all.

Anyways with that amp the SR-80's have unreal bass. Crazy bass. Bass just as prominent or close to as the 225's and HF-1's using the same amp.

This is not the case with my gilmore lite where the 225 trounces the 80's and the HF-1 squashes the 225's.

The bass from phones amped by the glite cannot even compare to the bass out of sherwood. The HF-1 paired with the glite is the only one that is even in the same planet.

Dec 23, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 21
i compared the 325i and 225 directly. the 325i's bass is more resolved and deeper compared to the 225 to my ears, although both phones have a similar signature. the highs are also clearer. the 325i is also a $100 more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back