Which Grado should I buy SR 60 or SR 125 or SR 225
Dec 18, 2008 at 4:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

effectic

Banned
In terms specifically of the bass and openness like sounding like a loud speaker.

I love the looks of grado for some reason but I want to know which may be the best value for money I was looking at the SR60 and perhaps buying a Logitech Z5500 PC speaker.
My budget is limited and I need advice. I need a good bassy headphone and at the same time sounding like open speakers. Loud speakers as I hate the sound of my Sennheiser HD 280.

Time is limited so please speak fast as Christmas is near.

thank you.

Dec 18, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #4 of 11
Kinda OT, but I have the Z5500s - they are OK but nothing special. They are VERY bass heavy and boomy - Logitech puts a lot on the subwoofer (including some low mids that it shouldn't). If you do decide to get them, you shouldn't be paying more than $300 tops (in Canada we can get them that cheap while Logitech's MSRP is $450 or so).

I'd spend the money on better headphones and an amp!

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm sure you'll like the Grados, but it has none of that bloated, boomy bass that Logitech speakers are (in)famous for.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 11
If you've never heard a Grado before, the SR-60 is the best place to start. They're inexpensive and if you don't like them, they'll sell within an hour or two in the For Sale Forum. They also sell fast if you want to move up to a higher model.
wink.gif
The Grado sound isn't for everyone. Lots of us love it, but you won't know for sure until you hear it. The SR-60 is the least expensive way to find out. Another relatively inexpensive model is the Alessandro MS-1. They're a little more, but are very well loved here. Run a few searches for each and see what others think about them.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #8 of 11
Look for a shop that will allow you to test them out, and bring a few CDs of what you like to listen to. Spend some time on each one, and listen to the same song on each one. That is really the only way to tell the difference and make a good decision. You can read all the reviews you like, but you really won't know until you got them on your head.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:40 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by effectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In terms specifically of the bass and openness like sounding like a loud speaker.

I love the looks of grado for some reason but I want to know which may be the best value for money I was looking at the SR60 and perhaps buying a Logitech Z5500 PC speaker.
My budget is limited and I need advice. I need a good bassy headphone and at the same time sounding like open speakers. Loud speakers as I hate the sound of my Sennheiser HD 280.

Time is limited so please speak fast as Christmas is near.

thank you.

You won't get the bassy sound you're wanting from a Grado. I don't own these, but my guess is you'd get the sound you're after with HotAudio's Mark IV USB DAC/amp for $111.75 "Buy it Now" on eBay and a JVC HARX900 selling for under $60 shipped from buy.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back