Which full size Sennheiser for movies unamped?
Jul 14, 2009 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

audioqueso

100+ Head-Fier
...can I come out from hiding without fear of being killed by everyone for asking another 'which senn..' question? ha ha

I've read a LOT (maybe all) threads regarding HD580 vs HD595 vs whatever else. I'd like to get a full size pair of Sennheisers mostly for movies. They will NOT be amped, and I need them open because when I watch movies, I need to be able to hear anything going on in the house. I read a lot of this and that, but it's always amp'ed. I will just be using a receiver to power the headphones. Thanks.

Sennheiser
Full size
Open
HD580/HD595 price range

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 25
Why do you need a Sennheiser? There are other, arguably better options such as the AD700, AD900, DT440, etc. The HD555/HD595 are the only fullsize Sennheisers that will be ok unamped.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #4 of 25
Yep, if Sennheiser is the only option the HD595 is probably the only one from 580 and up that fits the bill. I ran mine out straight out of the crappy built-in headphone jack in my Samsung HDTV all of last year without any volume issues (they did however sound horribly flat and lifeless without the TruSurround DSP effect turned on on the TV, but I place the blame for that 100% of the horrible amp in the TV).

My other two current headphones - the AKG K601 and the HD650 - can't be driven to what I consider acceptable volumes without an amp, and that's when we're talking music. In my experience playing Blu-ray and DVD movies on my PS3 the source volume is usually significantly lower than for eg. music or games, so much that I've actually had to set my amp to high gain on occasion when I've used my K601 for movies.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 25
Yeah, HD555/HD595 (or the old HD590...I think there was one going for a song on the FS forum a while back) would work without an amp...pretty much anything else open-ear-Senn would need one. The HD280s are nice, and don't need to be amped, but they're very much sealed...no way you'd be able to hear what's going on in the house.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miths /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the only one from 580 and up that fits the bill.

Version numbers probably don't mean much here. The 595 is very close to the 555, the 580 is very close to the 600. That one is numbered higher than the other is completely arbitrary.

Jul 14, 2009 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Version numbers probably don't mean much here. The 595 is very close to the 555, the 580 is very close to the 600. That one is numbered higher than the other is completely arbitrary.

HD555 and HD595 use the exact same drivers, except the HD555 has some foam on the inside grill.

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

I didn't really meant it in terms of objective or perceived quality - I know the 580 is supposed to be a better headphone than the 595, merely in terms of the models in the range he listed (I forgot about the 555 though, and it seems many people consider them so similar to the 595 that the latter aren't worth the extra cost. I haven't heard the 555 myself though).

Jul 14, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #9 of 25
Again, is there any reason it has to be a Senn? There're nice open phones from other manufacturers in your price range that fit these requirements that'll work well unamped...I'm listening to a Grado SR225 at the moment, which might not be your thing, but it seems to fit your requirements. Senn seems to tend to be amp-centric.

@Pepito: How're you liking the HD555s (I notice them in your sig)? Would you recommend them to the OP, since they seem to be the only thing that fit his criteria?

Also, if it's just a bit of foam, could you mod 555s into 595s?

Jul 14, 2009 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 25
If you're going to use a receiver, then you should have enough power for the HD-580/600/650 series. A receiver has an amp inside - they usually put a couple of resistors in to drop the power off the outputs for the speakers. You should be fine running whatever you want.

That said, I've never been crazy about the HD-595. I'd get the HD-600 because it's exceptional with mids and vocals - the most important part of a movie.

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:33 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by JayB18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why do you need a Sennheiser? There are other, arguably better options such as the AD700, AD900, DT440, etc. The HD555/HD595 are the only fullsize Sennheisers that will be ok unamped.

Quote:

Again, is there any reason it has to be a Senn? There're nice open phones from other manufacturers in your price range that fit these requirements that'll work well unamped...I'm listening to a Grado SR225 at the moment, which might not be your thing, but it seems to fit your requirements. Senn seems to tend to be amp-centric.

The reason I said Sennheiser is because I like Sennheiser. I have a pair of Audio Technica A900. I like them a lot. I use them a lot for music. At times when I am listening to some music, I wish I could hear them again with Sennheiser because they're so silky on the top end, but I like my A900s. I use them for movies too whenever I want to watch something at night and need to keep the noise down. But it's happened more than once that something was going on in the house, and I couldn't hear it because the A900 seal everything out. So I need a pair of open cans as well. And since there are times when I listen to certain CDs that I really want the Sennheiser sound again, then this is a great reason to get both things I want; open cans and Sennheiser. Thanks why only Sennheiser. I like Sennheiser.

Sure, I could get some AD900s, and call it a day. I could buy some Grados, sure... but since I'm in the market for open cans, might as well get open cans and a brand that I've been meaning to own again.

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #12 of 25
I find it either go for hd555 unamp or jump to hd600 w/ amp.

Not worth investing on hd595, because it is only a slight improvement over 555 and doesn't benefit as much as 600 w/ an amp. My 2 pennies.

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by flame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find it either go for hd555 unamp or jump to hd600 w/ amp.

Not worth investing on hd595, because it is only a slight improvement over 555 and doesn't benefit as much as 600 w/ an amp. My 2 pennies.

Agree wholeheartedly.. really bang for the buck if you can find the HD555 under $100
icon10.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioqueso /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok... HD555 it is. Thanks everyone.

I had the HD555 a while back and while I didn't care for it with music, it did make a pretty good movie phone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back