Which full size headphones with Predator / Pico
Jul 23, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #16 of 21
I own a Predator, and have listened extensively with the following:
  1. Ultrasone Pro 750 (split-cable Silver Dragon mod by Drew at moon-audio)
  2. 600-Ohm Consumer Beyer DT880's (not modded -- will be soon)
  3. 250-Ohm Consumer Beyer DT880's, the model with the volume control in the cord.
  4. Senn 600's (stock cable, awaiting my Zu cable)

Listened with a Cowon i7 as the source, using WAV files ripped from CD's with EAC. Good mix of classical (symphonic), pop, rock, and rap. (No Jazz or Opera). Compared also to the same phones using my vintage (but fab) Hafler pre-amp with HP output (using a vintage Sony CDP as source).

Predator drove all these perfectly. Even the 600-Ohm 880's

Sound with the Ultrasone Pro 750's is especially wonderful, for a closed can look no further. For open or semi-open cans, if you want thundering volume and rock, you might prefer Senn 650's to my 880's, haven't listened. I tend to reach for the 600-Ohm 880's over my Sen 600's when I do not have to use closed (this is dictated by my wife).

If you go Beyer, be sure to use the MANUFAKTUR option on the main beyerdynamic (not beyerdynamic-usa) web site.

Jul 23, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #17 of 21
Are you planning a headphone purchase based on your amp?

I really think it should be the other way around. Even though I haven't tried all the headphones you mentioned, the difference between headphones are much greater than the difference between amps. Although synergy is important and I do have my sonic preferences, I have never really come across an amp with a sound signature that I hate or dislike. On the other side I have heard headphones that I can't stand and I am not talking about ibuds here.

Jul 23, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

I wrote a review on the Pro 750 using a Pico as source/amp...

Aha! I already read that. It was one of the posts that first brought the Ultrasones to my attention - didn't notice you were using a Pico. Splendid reading.

Well, I am pleased to announce that I have ordered myself a pair of Ultrasone Pro 750s. I think I was moving in that direction, but thanks to you good people, I feel happy that I am making the right decision.

Thank you all.

Aug 9, 2008 at 7:02 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadfolk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aha! I already read that. It was one of the posts that first brought the Ultrasones to my attention - didn't notice you were using a Pico. Splendid reading.

Well, I am pleased to announce that I have ordered myself a pair of Ultrasone Pro 750s. I think I was moving in that direction, but thanks to you good people, I feel happy that I am making the right decision.

Thank you all.

IMO, you definitely made the right decision. Be sure to give them plenty of burn-in time before evaluating their sound. Once they are burned in they are incredibly beautiful sounding headphones, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back