Which Fluke?
Jan 12, 2003 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

eric343

Member of the Trade: Audiogeek: The "E" in META42
I discovered that a local shop carries quite a few Fluke multimeters...

...and my birthday is coming up
biggrin.gif

What's your favorite Fluke, that you have used?

(preferably <$300, definitely not those $2K "handheld oscilloscope" monoliths)

Jan 12, 2003 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 14
I have the Fluke 45 and am happy with it.

not one of those handheld ones...for a bench. nice to measure a DC voltage and get something as precise as 16.6312V

Jan 12, 2003 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 14
I used a 79 for many years (still have it) and just bought a 189. I like the Fluke meters a lot and I have no reason to try another makers but I can't help wondering whether some of the cheaper meters might not be as good.

Jan 12, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 14
Eric,

You might want to search for an 8060A.

It is an expensive meter that Fluke has discontinued. Some dealers like MCM may still have a few in stock at reduced prices.

Only downside to the meter is that it doesn't have capacitance or temperature measurement.

Anybody know where I can find and "inexpensive" spectrum analyzer?

Luck.

Jan 12, 2003 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

I got my brand new one for $269. Not a bad deal

Indeed. Eric, if you can swing that kind of deal, go for it! The 189 is a fine meter.

Quote:

I can't help wondering whether some of the cheaper meters might not be as good.

The grass is always greener on the other side. If Eric buys a cheap meter, he'll be left wondering whether the Fluke would be better.
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Anybody know where I can find and "inexpensive" spectrum analyzer?

A BitScope and appropriate software. Or if you want to get really cheap, a good sound card and appropriate software.

Jan 12, 2003 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 14
Eric,

Do you need a hand held meter or a bench meter? Bench meter is going to be more accurate for the money. Most people so far have recommended hand held meters.

Jan 12, 2003 at 5:35 PM Post #9 of 14
I don't want to get into an argument on Fluke vs "other meters." However, I do want to point out an inexpensive meter loaded with features: PC Link, autoranging, capacitance, diode, transistor, temperature, etc. At only $45, it is most likely made in China. Who cares? At the moment, it has fared fairly well against an old Fluke. More tests coming. Take a look...

http://www.web-tronics.com/indmmwrspcin.html

My friend Chris likes the PC link quite a bit. He fixes yacht electronic equipment, and his wealthy clients are impressed by his on site laptop/meter combination. In that type of business, a "pro-look" is very important.

Jan 12, 2003 at 7:10 PM Post #10 of 14
http://fluke.com/Download/DigitalMul...53ExtSpecs.pdf

http://www.protektest.com/Protek%20pg%2031.pdf

The Fluke 189 lists for $399. The 187 is basically a 189 without the computer interface for $20 less. Compare the 187/189 to the Protek 608 at $249 or the 506 at $169 or the 505 at $139. Personally, I'd save the money and go with the Protek.

I've had a Fluke 77 since college and regretted it almost since the day I got it because any number of other meters were cheaper, had many, many more features, and would have been good enough. Granted, the 187/189 are full featured models unlike the spartan and practically useless 77, but ask yourself if you really need your DMM to say "Fluke" on it, or can you live with another brand for 1/2 the price.

Jan 12, 2003 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 14
Thanks for the comments/help, everyone!

I followed pcyeh's tip and grabbed a brand new Fluke 189 w/ Flukeview software and cable off the 'Bay for $330.

Antness - I contemplating getting a bench meter; however I already have an old HP (I think) that I got from a ham fest. (I'd use it more; however I compared it with my handheld meter and it was QUITE far off - more than the HP's calibration screw could adjust. So I'm going to compare it to my 189 when it arrives and see which meter was off
smily_headphones1.gif
) I really like the portability of my current el-cheapo A.W. Sperry, also.

Morsel - That reasoning is exactly why I held off getting a Fluke for so long - my current dmm is digital and had all the features I needed, so why upgrade? Then I compared it to the abovementioned HP, and just recently tried to measure the voltage off a voltage quintupler in an SRD7 I'm modding and realized that it has a fairly low input impedance. So rather than doing an incremental upgrade to something somewhat better than an AWSperry, I went with the best I could find, since as Tangent said... "The grass is always greener on the other side." Except now I'm on the other side
biggrin.gif

Jan 13, 2003 at 1:31 PM Post #13 of 14
I've used a Fluke Model 12 multimeter for several years now and have never been let down. It's reasonably priced, loaded with functions and you can get different leads and clips for anything you need.

Jan 13, 2003 at 4:53 PM Post #14 of 14
Winston brings up an interesting point about Flukes: accessories. The cynical will just say that it's a way for Fluke to get even more money out of you, but the fact is, it's nice to be able to get any type of test lead you might need and know that it will fit well with the rest of the meter. Some times this comes down to a real compatibility issue, like with a temperature probe. Other times it's more of a styling issue: Fluke's probes have exactly the right connector to fit in their meters' jacks, for example. I've used other banana plugs in my meter, and sure, they work, but not quite as well as the one on a Fluke probe for one reason or another.

Also consider fit and finish. Cheap meters come with cheap leads (PVC instead of silicone insulation, poor molding, hard feel, missing nice touches like a large safety guard near the probe tip, etc.), the knobs don't feel quite as good, etc.

Consider also service: Fluke can and will repair any meter they sell. Sure it costs money, but not as much as buying a new meter if you somehow damage yours or force it out of calibration. The new meters are even coming with lifetime warranties. (Limited, of course.) Lots of cheap meters can't even be serviced, either because they're so cheap that it's not worth it to work on them, or because the manufacturer just doesn't care to set up the necessary service apparatus. And here's a bit of comedy: Beckman/Wavetek/Meterman/whatevertheyarethisyear meters can be serviced, but guess where they send you for repairs: to Fluke! Even replacements come through Fluke!

Bottom line, no one in this business takes care of their customers after the sale better than Fluke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back