Which fit me?
Sep 14, 2014 at 11:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ivanlau1999

Head-Fier
I have a chance to buy a demo AKG Q701 for $150 CAD
Does it had a huge improvement compare to my HD518?
I don't really want to upgrade it since I am saving money for the HD650 ($499 CAD) not sure is it a deal

I will be driving those with my own home HIFI system.
See my signature for my amp and DAC
It will be iPhone--> DAC (through iDevice USB input and out with Analog L/R)--> Amp--> headphone (through Phono output)

I will be buying a E09K + E17 for my room audio soon

Is there any good suggestion in that price point?

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 16
The Q701 is an updated version of the former AKG Flagship.  They are better, but also quite different from your HD 518.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_K702

They need an amp and I have no idea how good the headphone out section of your amp is.  Many are poor.  The Fiios you mentioned that were considering buying should drive them well enough.

I can't comment on Canadian pricing, except that it is almost always higher than it is here.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #3 of 16
The Q701 is an updated version of the former AKG Flagship.  They are better, but also quite different from your HD 518.  See:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_K702

They need an amp and I have no idea how good the headphone out section of your amp is.  Many are poor.  The Fiios you mentioned that were considering buying should drive them well enough.

I can't comment on Canadian pricing, except that it is almost always higher than it is here.

I have seen that post, but I have been told that there is a big difference between the K701 & Q701 so I don't know is that a big step from my HD518.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #4 of 16
Q701 has slightly more body, n slightly more bass than the K701..
my taste...good for classicals...not so great for vocals. 
Might not be v comfy for some folks..the headband.

what kind of music do u listen to?

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 16

I have seen that post, but I have been told that there is a big difference between the K701 & Q701 so I don't know is that a big step from my HD518.

The differences between the two AKG's is not big, but they are significant.  The Q delivers more bass and has a more natural treble sound.  It has a bit smaller sound stage, but still much larger than the HD 518, which is also a fairly dark can.  With its imaging and sound stage, the Q701 lets you hear every musical voice.

Yes, I consider it a big step up over the 518.  More accurately, it's a step to the side to a different sound sigature and then a step up in quality.  It's in the same peer group as the HD 600 & HD 650, which is not to say is has a similar sound signature.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #6 of 16
Q701 has slightly more body, n slightly more bass than the K701..
my taste...good for classicals...not so great for vocals. 
Might not be v comfy for some folks..the headband.

what kind of music do u listen to?

I mostly listen to MJ which is 100% hit my taste ,
some Pop like "No Matter What" ( don't know that count as Pop or not),
some epic music like "becoming a legend",
and "Hotel Calnifornia"

I have short haircut, will that makes me feel uncomfortable?

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #7 of 16
Some (probably most) versions of the Q701 have "bumps" on the headband.  Some folks have found that to be a comfort issue.  Others like me do not.

Headphone comfort is a very individual thing.  Everyone has a different head size and shape, as well as different sensitivities and levels of sensitivity.  We can point you to headphones that are generally considered to be comfortable and mention others that have garnered complaints for being uncomfortable.  However, the only way to know for sure is to wear them yourself for a time equivalent to your longest listening session.

Sep 15, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #8 of 16
The bumps on the Q701s make them uncomfortable to wear for longer than an hour at a time.  It's not a big deal, you just take them off for a few seconds and re position them.  I had an E9/E7 combo with my Q701s for a while and it drove them well enough, it will be an absolutely massive upgrade from your current cans.  There is very little bass presence with the set up and if you have badly mastered or compressed music you will hear every ounce of how ugly it really sounds.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 16
I mostly listen to MJ which is 100% hit my taste ,
some Pop like "No Matter What" ( don't know that count as Pop or not),
some epic music like "becoming a legend",
and "Hotel Calnifornia"

I have short haircut, will that makes me feel uncomfortable?

y dun u spend the money on the E17...and listen thru that...instead of your home receiver.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 16
oh...thats good news...forget the E11 then :p
Just save up for the hd650...
or grab a DT150...pure bliss...kinda like a HD650 in closed can format.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back