Which first? DAC or Amp?
Jan 20, 2008 at 8:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Nylus

Head-Fier
Hi, at the moment im running my Sen 650's through my laptop.
Ive been looking at the EMU 0404 USB as a better source and the HeadAmp GS-1 for an amp.
Can't afford both at the moment, so which one do you think i should buy first? Which do you think will have more of an effect on sound? Bearing in mind my source at the moment is some **** onboard sound from my laptop.

Thanks

Jan 20, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 10
The 0404 USB would be the best buy. I believe it has at least a basic amp on board, and the DAC hardware within would make a far better improvement than simply amping onboard sound.

Also consider laptops very rarely have a line out, which means you'd be amping the already amped (and possibly degraded) signal from the laptop.

--Illah

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 10
the best way to go if the laptop is your exclusive source would be a good headphone amp that also has a decent USB implementation. there are a number of choices (you can search here and elsewhere online), some very portable, some less so.

Jan 21, 2008 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 10
I have never owned an MP3 player. If you want to get on the road to headfi heaven, get a decent CDP and a non-portable, audiophile quality head amp. Otherwise, it's easy to get mired down in a portable, nearly all digital hell. It depnds where you are going. I never went down the latter route, so I can't advise you on that. But it appears to me that 90% of all the people on headfi are in that boat.

Jan 21, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #6 of 10
See... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/dar...ilmore-287121/

The source is always the most important component in the chain, without any question - you computer folks know... its always GIGO. The same is true in audio. No amount of amplification, or sound processing, is ever going to improve upon the sound if its missing, or so distorted, from the source, that it can't be restored.

But... the above thread is only your answer... if... you're looking for a home set up, not a portable set up.

Jan 21, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #8 of 10
You could also get an amp with a USB DAC built in, like the Corda Cantate or Opera for example (there are many others as well).

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also get an amp with a USB DAC built in, like the Corda Cantate or Opera for example (there are many others as well).

I'd assume since it's a laptop, that portability is somewhat a concern, meaning a portable DAC/Amp combo that's tiny like the Pico should enter the conversation, at least, especially with the raves the DAC's been getting.

I'll let you know if it measures up to the hype when mine arrives in a couple of weeks.
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobloblaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd assume since it's a laptop, that portability is somewhat a concern, meaning a portable DAC/Amp combo that's tiny like the Pico should enter the conversation, at least, especially with the raves the DAC's been getting.

My laptop is my main source, and I have a Cantate. My laptop is mostly used as a desktop replacement, so portability is not an issue at all for the Cantate. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back