Which eartip to use with Westone UM3X?
Dec 9, 2009 at 11:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

stang

Headphoneus Supremus
I have owned my Westone UM3X for a couple of months now, maybe 3, can't remember :p Anyway, I have almost gone through both pairs of SMALL foam grey (gray) tips and was wondering a more cost effective option to this. Are the Tri-flange tips comfortable? Do they provide good isolation compared to the foam tips? I really want something that I don't have to replace every couple of months. I would like to buy a 3 pack of eartips and last me one year, as opposed to a 6 pack of foamies which would last me just under a year IMO. I use the SMALL foam eartips because they are the only ones that fit, and I reckon are just 1mm short of perfect. I am 15 years old so I may have small ear canals or something
redface.gif
. Will the Triple flange fit me? Or will I have to purchase some and find out myself? Losing $20 in the process if I don't like them/don't fit. Thanks
popcorn.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 39
Yes, tri flanges or tri flanges modified to bi flanges will fit fine but I find that they cut off the treble a bit and make the closed-in sounding UM3X sound even a bit more congested. Some don't find this to be the case though.

I purchased some large size black T-100 series complys second time around and they don't show dirt as bad and fit even a bit better for me. Sound great too.

Dec 9, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 39
Thanks for that man
biggrin.gif
I wish I could get a pack of 2 pairs of each type of tip for the UM3X. Like small comply, small T-100 comply and tri flange (if that's all there is). I would be willing to pay even $30 for that. So like a combo pack that instead of 6 pairs of the same, it has 6 pairs, but 3 different types of tips
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the Klipsh ovals.

How are they? Do they fit UM3X good or no?

Dec 9, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 39
Re: Klipsh tips -- fwiw, I've only used the Klipsch and the Comply that came with the UM3X -- so, with that said, I much prefer the Klipsch -- to me they sound better, feel better, and will last longer. I now only use the Comply foams on a plane, for the additional isolation. Right now I'm using the Klipsch large double flange. Given that we're all built a bit differently, the ideal is to try everything you can, and figure out what happens to work for you.

As for me, I happened to have the Klipsch, and they work good enough that I don't feel compelled to keep getting other kinds -- that said, I'd would still consider other kinds of tips if they happened to magically fall into my lap.

I know you can get 'fit kits' from Westone (which I'm not interested in b/c they don't then also sell specific tips individually) and from Shure -- the Shure fit kit might make sense. I'm not sure if Klipsch offers a fit kit.

Dec 10, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Shure black olive foam tips should fit the UM3X. They are more durable than Comply.

I've tried the Shure black olives on the UM3X, and the tube is ever so slightly too small on the UM3X for these to stay snug (yes, the tips were brand new and unused). I pulled the UM3X out of my ear, but the tips stayed in. They're also firmer than the gray foams that come with the UM3X, and put more pressure than I like on my ear canals.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnstyle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using the Klipsh ovals.

These fit very nicely, and are easily the best silicone eartips I've tried (compared to the Ety tri-flange and Sleek bi-flange). They're my second favorite after the gray foamies that came with the UM3X, which are hands down the most comfortable tips I've ever used. The Klipsch bi-flanges are actually really nice as well.

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #11 of 39
Looks like the Klipsch ovals are the best bet. Does anyone know what size I would need? I love good isolation and I use the smallest grey comply tips that you can buy with the Westone UM3X, the standard ones are just WAY too long for my ear canal, the UM3X stick out so much when i try to use them. Does anyone also know where I can get the Klipsch ovals and they can ship to Australia? Thanks, if you have both the small size comply and Klipsch ovals, a picture of them next to each other would be greatly appreciated
biggrin.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 1:59 AM Post #12 of 39
+1 for Shure Olives. They're simply a great option and vastly more durable then the Comply. I do agree that the tips don't go not tightly. Mine stayed fine, but I'm not exactly shoving the tips way in my ear either. I had no issue though with it.

Etymotic tri-flange would probably be a nice option too, but I'm not a personal fan of the flanged ones. They always seemed to dig into my ears and were annoying.

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 39
Shure - Black Foam Sleeves

So those are the one's I should be buying? If i use the SMALL Westone comply would I need the small 'Black Foam Sleeves'? Or the medium? Sorry for all this questioning, I just don't wanna throw away $20

Dec 10, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #15 of 39
I'd have to get the small shure olives then I guess. Also, which do you mean by medium? I thought it was just Small, Thin and Standard?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back