Which earphone used by sound engineer/artist in making music??
Mar 12, 2010 at 4:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

neverover

New Head-Fier
just a curiosity, for the sound engineer and artist here who works in the studio making music and stuff, which earphone/headphone do you use? thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #2 of 5
There are quite a few here who use headphones professionally. I'm not a pro, but am a big fan of pro headphones.

One model you'll find all over is the Sony MDR-V6. They're used for a lot of recording, at radio stations, everywhere. Sony has a full pro line of headphones. I like the MDR-7509HD and usually use them when I travel.

At the high end, the AKG K-1000, Grado HP-1000 and Stax 4070 are pro headphones.

Beyerdynamic makes several pro models, too, like the DT150 and my favorite, the DT48.

AKG and Sennheiser make a few as well, but I'm not familiar with them outside of the K-1000 and the widely used HD-600.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AKG and Sennheiser make a few as well, but I'm not familiar with them outside of the K-1000 and the widely used HD-600.

Uncle Erik, is it your impression that the HD 600 is more widely used by the pros than the HD 650? Just curious.

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 5
I'm trying to understand what use an open headphone would be in a professional capacity. Mixing? Good monitors would be better, unless you have a bad sounding room, but if have a bad sounding room than you're probably not a professional. Recording instruments/tracking would be bad idea - click tracks/other tracks would bleed into the microphones.

Well, I imagine doing some sequencing and some minor mixing would be an option with open headphones, away from the studio at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back