Which do you use more, a full size headphone, or speakers?
Jan 30, 2014 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jasonb

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm just kind of curious if most people on here spend more time using full size headphones than they do listening to speakers, or if it is the other way around. 

Up until about a week ago I had been using my Q701 much more often than speakers. I would spend on average probably about 1-2 hours a night with my Q701. This past weekend I started putting together a near field speaker rig at my desk at home and have been spending all my free time listening to that instead. I haven't put my Q701 on in a week now. 

So again, I'm just curious if most people use headphones more often at home or speakers more often at home. 

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 24
Definitely speakers when at home. Its just effortless to listen to speakers as there is no weight or discomfort issues after time, and you can move around freely and easily.

Jan 30, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 24
Full sized headphones. 7-8 or years ago I listened to speakers more. Now with large capacity computer hard drives and flash storage, lossless audio files, high speed wireless internet, many USB DACs and portable headphone amp choices music listening has become almost 100% personal (headphones) for me at home. Especially because with headphones I'm less likely to bother the Mrs with my music which is important because we do not always share the same musical tastes. I think headphone listening also offers a great value proposition too because you can purchase a a great head fi system in most cases for a lot less than what you would spend on a comparable 2 or multi channel stereo system. I still use my speakers but they've been primarily relegated to home theater duty.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:44 AM Post #6 of 24
Headphones.......90% of the time

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:17 AM Post #8 of 24
100% headphones.. for mostly the same reasons that zeddun brought up. Also, living in a flat with neighbours on all sides it's nice to be able to listen to music at any volume any time of day. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 24
I have to say both equally. They each have their place imo. Speakers for drama, soundstage, and to feel the bass in your chest as well as your ears. Headphones because other than those 3 categories the headphones totally whoop the speakers butt in every other category that I judge sound by.

More time listening to headphones as my wife often watches TV and we can't listen to loudspeakers and watch TV at the same time..

But I very much prefer listening to loudspeakers.

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:47 PM Post #11 of 24
It's about 70/30 for headphones. If I'm just watching something on my computer and playing something non-immersive (like PoE), I'll flip on the speakers. Also, if I'm doing stuff around my room and want to listen to some tunes. I'm not even close to the sweet spot, but it still sounds ok. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #12 of 24
All headphones. My speakers end up being mostly for movies, games and tv. The dedicated serious music-listening happens in my bedroom with my headphones. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #13 of 24
Just wanted to note that on this form your probably getting answers which are skewed towards the headphone side. You should ask the same question on audiokarma and see what replies you get there
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #14 of 24
Live in an apartment style condo - so i use my HE400s mostly when on my computer...if its the evening and i want to watch a movie i can crank my soundbar, which arent too bad (my downstairs neighbour texts me if things get too loud)...cant wait till i get a house so i can put in all my money on a proper home theatre setup lol 

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #15 of 24
  Just wanted to note that on this form your probably getting answers which are skewed towards the headphone side. You should ask the same question on audiokarma and see what replies you get there
tongue_smile.gif

I understand your point, but I know a lot of people on here also do enjoy speakers. I was still curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back