Which direction do you swirl your whisky?
May 10, 2006 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

xand1x

500+ Head-Fier
I've been chatting with a few head-fiers on irc. I seem to think that counter-clockwise is the proper direction to swirl whisky, though others have expressed their indifference and/or opposition to this claim. So, for fun, I figured i'd start a poll
biggrin.gif
Which way do you swirl your whisky?? (BTW, when swirled counter-clockwise, i've noticed a richer more illustrious taste in comparison to swirling clockwise)

May 10, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #8 of 34
Funny, I'm sitting here at work trying to mimic it with a coffee mug. I'm still not certain, but I think I go clockwise. I'm right handed.

May 10, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 34
Yes I believe that it is really a function of handedness and that people tend to swirl away from their body.

(additionally I would like to say that clockwise swirlers are cowards!)
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 10, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #11 of 34
I used to swirl my wine counterclockwise, due to being right handed. But once I started swirling it clockwise, and I've discovered, it makes my red wine taste better. It gives an additional depth to the flavour and really brings out and defines any undercurrents. I suspect this is because the awkward motion (since I'm used to going the other way) better aerates the wine than going smoothly counterclockwise.

However, I've also started to decant my wine on tennisballs and other isolation devices. In this case, I find the stablization better maintains a constant surface, which makes the aeration process more consistent for this phase of drinking.

But what's really important, I find is air purification/conditioning. Yes, you can argue that the air in your room is just that last mile, and that the wine has been exposed to air in the bottle and at the vineyard. But it's that last mile that matters the most.

I've started experimenting with power cords for my refridgerator to keep my white wines chilled more consistently. Will report later on whether ferrite cores or more exp cords make a huge difference. I'm excited at the prospect.
biggrin.gif

Best,

-Jason

Postscript: Oh, I know guys in France who are willing to bottle air from various regions in case you want to decant your wine in more pure air. It's expensive to ship though.
biggrin.gif

May 10, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #13 of 34
The post heading on the main page reads "Which direction do you swirl..."
I thought this was referring to that Seinfeld episode:

Quote:

Jerry: Now, the ending is kind of an option. I use the swirl. I like the

swirl. I'm comfortable with the swirl. *I* feel the swirl is a great

capper. He uses the pinch, which I find a little presumptuous.

George: Is it a clockwise swirl?

Jerry: I prefer clockwise, but it's not written in stone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back