Which DAC will suit my system best??
Jun 6, 2014 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

HIFi Head

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys

I'm looking for some advice on what USB DAC would suit my existing HiFi system. I recently purchased a Arcam IrDAC but was very disappointed in the sound quality, whether it was poor system synergy or maybe my expectations were simply to high. Either way I was after a much richer, fuller sound as the irDAC made my system sound thin & bright.

My system currently consists of Synology Nas > windows PC ( jriver media center ) > anthem 225 amplifier > monitor audio rx8 silver series & SVS Subwoofer.

I'm currently interested in both the Rega & PS audio nuwave DAC's but I'm open to any other suggestions and any experience or comments on system synergy for the above DAC's.

Thanks in advance.

HiFi Head

Jun 14, 2014 at 1:56 AM Post #3 of 5
PS Audio and Rega both make great DAC's.  I've owned both of those brands and heard the Arcam DAC a couple of times.  I preferred the Rega DAC because it helped to add weight/texture to my system.  The only issue with the Rega DAC for your system is that USB input isn't the greatest on the market.  I use my DAC via either Toslink or SPDIF.  You can buy a USB to SPDIF adapter, I had best results going with the adapter.  

What is your budget?  

Nov 29, 2015 at 8:27 PM Post #4 of 5
Hey Eric,

Thanks for your reply! Sounds great overall.

Sale only, without trades of any kind?
Also how much final cash do you look for may I ask? I can offer average price based on previous headfi trades.

Thanks!
Harvey

Users who are viewing this thread

Back