Which DAC + AMP to buy?
Dec 16, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #31 of 67
Im just saying that if someone is using a DAW just for midi and no recording of analog audio, It should be considered.

I love my ifi diablo over my SSL2+ :wink:

They are both stable ASIO driver

Dec 16, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #33 of 67
I'm from Europe so its hard to get Schiit. What else do you think its worthy to check out? :)
Ah damn. That's a shame. Would you like to give me a budget and your use case? I'd be happy to find you a recommendation!
I advised my best friend on what to buy for under 1k about 3 years ago and he still thanks me each time we meet lol

Dec 17, 2021 at 12:14 AM Post #34 of 67
Stay away from Topping. They are garbage.
Get the Schiit Jotunheim 2 if you can swing it. The Schiit Bifrost 2 DAC is a great DAC. If they too difficult to get in Europe, then order a RebelAmp direct from Rebel Audio for $500. Someone said the Khadas Tone board. I own the $100 version #1 and it is the best $100 DAC in it's range.
Another option is the Questyle CMA Twelve DAC/Amp combo. I saw used one for sale in market section under $1000. Don't know if seller is shipping to Europe. You might check locally for used.

Dec 17, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #35 of 67
You might want to change your post title to recommend a.DAC/amp that you have heard else it just turns into a game of 'name.that brand' 😂 - it seems that you are already aware of what's out there, you want people's subjective opinions - here's my subjective opinion…........the A90 😉

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #36 of 67
Well i'm open to other stuff also but its interesting why some people say SMSL and Topping are garbage is it because they are both China Companies or are they really that bad lol :)

Dec 17, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #38 of 67
If your looking at the 789 you may as well go for the Monoprice 887 - which is basically the same thing but shipped from Germany. I have not listened to the 789 personally, they both use their own negative feedback tech to produce a clean sound - there are lots of reviews on the 789 and probably lots of subjective opinions on this website.

Dec 17, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #40 of 67
Well i'm open to other stuff also but its interesting why some people say SMSL and Topping are garbage is it because they are both China Companies or are they really that bad lol :)
Topping is poorly designed, poorly constructed, and when I had a problem with their headphone amplifire burning up my headphones they were liars and a nightmare to deal with.

Dec 17, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #41 of 67
Thanks for the Monoprice i just did some research and its supposed to be even better than the THX 789 :)
If you can increase your budget just a tiny bit, try to get an amp better than the THX ones.

Dec 17, 2021 at 12:08 PM Post #43 of 67
Which ones are better ones then?
Out of my collection of amplifiers, I think most would like the Questyle CMA Twelve DAC/amp or the Rebel Audio RebelAmp paired with a good DAC. My Jotunheim 2 is good for the money, but you stated that you are not able to get Schiit products easily.

If one cannot purchase one of the aforementioned gear, I would suggest just getting a Lusya Fever DAC/amp for $25 until you can get a better setup. Otherwise, money is wasted on these lower end amplifiers. https://iiwireviews.com/fever-dac-a-25-game-changing-stick

Dec 17, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #44 of 67
Topping is poorly designed, poorly constructed, and when I had a problem with their headphone amplifire burning up my headphones they were liars and a nightmare to deal with.
Im not defending chi-fi but I remember clearly seing schiit frying headphones on youtube.

Schiit is not hyped in Europe. Every store I aske they say, they dont want/know it.

Im sticking with UK and German hardware so far.

Dec 17, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #45 of 67
Im not defending chi-fi but I remember clearly seing schiit frying headphones on youtube.

Schiit is not hyped in Europe. Every store I aske they say, they dont want/know it.

Im sticking with UK and German hardware so far.
Yes, I have had two headphones burned up this last year. One by Topping and one by Schiit. The difference was that Schiit refunded me my money and offered to replace my headphones. Topping instead was a nightmare to deal with and lied to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back