Which DAC + AMP to buy?
Dec 8, 2021 at 7:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 67

Kitarist

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys i'm buying a new DAC AMP combo it can be all in one unit or 2 units.

I was looking at these:

Topping DX3 Pro+
Topping E50 and L50 Combo
SMSL SU8 and SMSL SH8 Combo.

How much of difference in terms of sound quality will be there is it worth spending more?

Anyone got experience with these or is there anything else worth looking into?

Dec 8, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 67
Budget, sound preference, headphones you have ? Unless you provide those info, no one can give trusted advice.

Dec 8, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #4 of 67
Schiit Modius is the best bang for the buck as DACs go.

Dec 13, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #7 of 67
If I have to suggest blindly then I would say Schiit Lyr3/ Liquid Platinum + BF2 and it will cover bases for all kind of headphones.

Dec 13, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #8 of 67
I'm using a Khadas Tone Board with the Drop THX 789 amp and really happy for this price range. In a few days a Topping D10b balanced DAC will be here, then I'll pick between them after some blind testing. I don't need the big power of the XLR port right now, but it's nice for the future since the way the Drop 789 sounds is just so good I wouldn't ever want to upgrade/change it. Think about the upper limit on headphone power requirements if it's an all in one you're going for. I had an Aune S6 which sounded amazing but was running out of volume wheel on some headphones (adding the S7 amp was getting too spendy).

Dec 13, 2021 at 6:38 PM Post #9 of 67
I'm curious what is the best buy from 500 to 1000 EUR AMP+DAC. I love details and i mostly listen to Rock, Blues and some Classical. Does anyone have Experience with the new Topping E50 L50 Combo or the SMSL combo or is it possible to get even something better in that price range?

Dec 14, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #10 of 67
If you can afford the Topping A90, I strongly recommend it. Listening to it was the first time I have been Wowed by what a difference a decent amp can make. I have used it with both an SMSL SU-9 and currently a Topping D30 pro. Selling the SU-9 was a mistake as I really enjoyed it and the tube filter worked well for me, the D30 Pro sounds just as good to me though. I have used cheaper Topping products such as the DX3 Pro+ whilst although adequate, could not produce the magic the A90 can produce. Maybe this is what all decent Amps are capable of.

Dec 15, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 67
Hmm was also Thinking of getting a top of the line Topping A90 since a lot of people say its so great. But really cant decide on a DAC since every one of them has different "sound" signature.

Dec 15, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #14 of 67
If you were to get a Topping A90 then you may as well make.use of the balanced connections, this was the reason I initially went with the SU-9 then later the D30 Pro, hard to tell from memory if.one was better than the other but I really enjoyed both.
You mentioned the E50 which is balanced but it uses 6.35mm balanced so you would need special cables and possibly a PSU.
The DACs mentioned were the best for.my needs within a particular budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back