Which customs is for me?
Mar 5, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #17 of 32
I've never tried them, but you may want to check out futuresonics custom line. They are (in the few posts I've ever seen) described as having a sound similar to what you've described. Still, your best bet is to call them up (as well as the other various custom manufacturers) and have them describe to you the sound signature of their IEM(s). Considering the expense and time involved in getting customs, companies should be willing to spend some time on the phone with customers to help them pick a product to suit their tastes.

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #18 of 32
Interesting, a dynamic driver custom. I'm gonna buy an IE8, wonder if I can make it custom like the futuresonics customs..?

Mar 5, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #19 of 32
I think shigzeo won't be mad at me, as we are discussing hobbies here
happy_face1.gif

Following is a reply from shigzeo to me, asking his opinion on reshelling IE8:

Quote:

The IE8 is hard to get customed - the back shell was left on, but everything else removed and the full thing was NOT done by Unique Melody. The problem with dynamics is that their housing is 100% important. If not done correctly, sound changes completely. I think the IE8 has a problem: bass echo can be plastic-sounding, something with annoyes me with the the Atrio M5, the CX300 and a few other earphones. For a custom to use the IE8, it has to get everything 100% correct, but the problem is that remaking the interior wall is probably more than any manufacturer knows how to do. They are engineers, but not sound professionals who are experienced in speakers.

IEMS based on balanced armatures are extremely easy to make in comparison. I've not heard the FS customs, but would give my left arm to do so as it may because of its acrylic housing, be fine.

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #20 of 32
I expect the IE8 to be hard to custom-ed but that seems like impossible.
I'm very concerned about the durability issue of the IE8, which a lot of people mentioned, so turn it into a custom may preserve it for longer.

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:31 PM Post #21 of 32
I always wonder, why so many head-fier rate the IE8 to be on the same level as e.g. UM3X, TF10 or SE530. In Germany you get the IE8 quite cheap (~175€) and to be honest, I would rate their SQ more on the level of SF5 or UM2 (maybe even less than the latter).
I listened to them once and up to my opinion, they cannot compete with triple-driver balanced armature IEMs.

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dmcom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always wonder, why so many head-fier rate the IE8 to be on the same level as e.g. UM3X, TF10 or SE530. In Germany you get the IE8 quite cheap (~175€) and to be honest, I would rate their SQ more on the level of SF5 or UM2 (maybe even less than the latter).
I listened to them once and up to my opinion, they cannot compete with triple-driver balanced armature IEMs.

Such cursory auditions doesn't always leave one with a sense of enlightenment. I do not think that the IE8 are in any way inferior to UM3X, TF10 and SE530.

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:05 PM Post #23 of 32
Well, maybe you are blinded by the (high) price (outside Germany). In fact I listened to them for a period of ~1 week, so I think I have a very good impresion of their SQ.
popcorn.gif

Mar 5, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Such cursory auditions doesn't always leave one with a sense of enlightenment. I do not think that the IE8 are in any way inferior to UM3X, TF10 and SE530.

Agreed. I have IE8 and TF10 (and a pair of CK10 too), I don't find that TF10 is superior to IE8 in every aspect or in a higher level than IE8. They both shine in different ways.

By the way, I got my IE8 last year for 25,000 yen, which was approximately 200 Euro that time.

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Well, maybe you are blinded by the (high) price (outside Germany). In fact I listened to them for a period of ~1 week, so I think I have a very good impresion of their SQ.
popcorn.gif

I can understand if they weren't to your liking and whether or not they are worth their asking price is debatable but I don't follow your absurd logic that folks who like them are automatically labeled as being blinded by their "high" price. In my region the SE530 and TF10 are more expensive than the IE8, whilst both UM3X and W3 are relatively cheaper. I bought all phones and listened to each of them extensively. I preferred my IE8 to all of them because of its airiness and more natural and cohesive sound presentation.They all have their strengths though.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #26 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tr4visphu0ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read cheap customs don't have good drivers and I'm better off with remolding.

Not true. There are not that many makers of Balanced Armature drivers, so many customs use similar drivers. It's all about the implimentation. Many people have had great results using JH5, UE5, LiveWires, and Sleek Customs. I would look into finding specific reviews of each and see which matches your preferences.

Mar 5, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:

popcorn.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can understand if they weren't to your liking and whether or not they are worth their asking price is debatable but I don't follow your absurd logic that folks who like them are automatically labeled as being blinded by their "high" price. In my region the SE530 and TF10 are more expensive than the IE8, whilst both UM3X and W3 are relatively cheaper. I bought all phones and listened to each of them extensively. I preferred my IE8 to all of them because of its airiness and more natural and cohesive sound presentation.They all have their strengths though.

I'm inclined to agree with dmcom.

To my ears the IE8s are a good pair of earphones, on a par with similarly priced IEMs in the UK, but they're don't rank alongside the best top tier universal IEMs. I've been very surprised just how much love the receive on these forums.

I think the cost of the IE8 within and outside of the EU does play a part in people's perception. It probably works the other way around as well. In the UK the UM3x costs significantly more than the IE8s and to my ears and to my ears sound significantly better, but maybe my perception has also been influenced by price.

Mar 5, 2010 at 8:14 PM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

To my ears the IE8s are a good pair of earphones, on a par with similarly priced IEMs in the UK, but they're don't rank alongside the best top tier universal IEMs.I've been very surprised just how much love the receive on these forums.

Its not surprising to me at all. There is no such thing as a perfect phone for everyone. The audio qualities that you value or hold in high esteem won't necessarily correspond with mine. So to ascribe a value or status of an IEM based on your preferences is quite meaningless simply because of the subjective nature of this hobby.

Quote:

I think the cost of the IE8 within and outside of the EU does play a part in people's perception. It probably works the other way around as well. In the UK the UM3x costs significantly more than the IE8s and to my ears and to my ears sound significantly better, but maybe my perception has also been influenced by price.

I don't quite comply to such a notion. If an item doesn't sound good enough to me. Regardless of its price, its going back.

Mar 7, 2010 at 5:36 AM Post #29 of 32
We're slightly off topic here people. I've been looking at threads about remolding the TF10 with an extra mid driver. Any opinions?

Mar 8, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tr4visphu0ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We're slightly off topic here people. I've been looking at threads about remolding the TF10 with an extra mid driver. Any opinions?

That was my choice after reading alot of threads here about customs; I'm still waiting to hear them though
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back