Which customs is for me?
Mar 2, 2010 at 3:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

tr4visphu0ng

Head-Fier
I have been a lurker for a few months now so this is my first official threads.
I'm currently using Westone 3 and Monster Turbine Pro Gold. And through reasearch within this forum I have seem to find out my prefered sound sig, which is pretty much warm with good impact bass. I like the Westone 3 but the sparkling highs is quite fatiguing, I like the Monster Turbine Pro sub-bass and it's neutral highs with is very relaxing. In conclusion, I like warm sound sig with laid back highs and good bass punch.

I'm looking into the Sennheiser IE8 which sound signature I might like. But I want to plan ahead and see which line of customs that suits my taste. I heard that the Ultimate Ears line is quite fun-sounding. The JH is quite neutral and analytical, so is the Livewires. The Westone is promising, but from Westone 3 I'm concern about the highs. Also the Unique Melody Mage, with seems to be quite a bang for buck, don't have the strong bass impact I desire.

Is there a customs possibility for me or should I find a universal one and end my search there.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 32
I am pretty sure that Shure SE6X will satisfy you. That's SE530 + 3 extra drivers added by Unique Melody.

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 32
I remember Mao Di talked about it but I thought It's not available yet. I'm kinda lean to the UE customs because of their sound sig. There aren't a lot of review about the SE6x yet...

Mar 3, 2010 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 32
FWIR, UM3X sounds closer to ES3X. So I think the highs of ES3X should not be fatiguing.

EDIT: I have encountered some saying W2 sounds closer to ES3X too. I have yet to hear all of these.

Mar 3, 2010 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 32
does the ES3X have a much wider stage than the UM3x?

Mar 3, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #7 of 32
how's the overall sound sig of ES3X?

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 32
^ For that, you have to use the searh function
regular_smile .gif

Please try to look for HeadphoneAddict's review on them.

Mar 3, 2010 at 12:32 PM Post #9 of 32
I've already look, it seems the bass impact of the ES3X is not that impressive and the overall sound sig is rather neutral

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tr4visphu0ng /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've already look, it seems the bass impact of the ES3X is not that impressive and the overall sound sig is rather neutral

There is a difference between not impressive and not as much as the king, JH-13. I'm pretty sure it was just the latter, it would likely have just fine bass impact.
It seems you could like the Future Sonics custom monitors, but not too much is known about them here.

Mar 4, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am pretty sure that Shure SE6X will satisfy you. That's SE530 + 3 extra drivers added by Unique Melody.

i thought maodi say that it sounds pretty neutral and is only good for monitoring?

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:04 PM Post #13 of 32
The new JH-16 would be an exciting custom to try out; as far as an improvement in universal IEMs, you've probably already seen this thread?

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:08 PM Post #14 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The new JH-16 would be an exciting custom to try out; as far as an improvement in universal IEMs, you've probably already seen this thread?

I've already purchase the MTPG and is thinking whether to get IE8 or saving up for a customs. From what I've read cheap customs don't have good drivers and I'm better off with remolding.

The described sound sig of the IE8 intrigued me. It seems very close to my taste of sound. Although I'm loving my Westone 3 paired with 100ohm adapter (darkens high, removes sibilance), I'm trying to plan ahead for something more, and not go on a shopping rush whenever I got some money.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #15 of 32
HeEeEy..

The JH5's sound very close to the W3's IMO. The W3's with P series complys have a more sparkle (and sibilance) and more of a mid-bass hump than the JH5's. The Jh5 sound more warmer too.

I think the W3's have a slight edge over the JH5's is airiness and slightly better clarity in the highs.

The JH5's have less mid bass hump (I can't stand the W3 bass hump), that also have more body and impact than W3's. I'd also give the JH5's a nod for little better mids.

Both are about $400.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back