Which custom IEMs for classical only?
Jan 11, 2008 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

justin2net

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some advice on custom IEMs. I have a pair of Shure E3s and Ety ER4s. I upgraded to the Ety cause the Shure started sounding dull and weak and I prefer a very detailed sound.
Problem is, the Ety's don't fit very well, mainly because the barrel is so long and my ear canals must be very small. So I've decided to get customs.
I would love to get the UE11s, but too much $$. I'm looking to spend up to 500-600 on a pair that will last me a few years. Prefer a full soundstage and detail.

Some that I've had in mind include:
1. Buy molds for Ety.
2. Buy SE530 and molds for SE530.
3. Livewires
4. Westone?

UE 10 and 11 are out of my price range. My source is a Creative ZVM by LOD to a RSA Tomahawk (I am going to upgrade to an iMod once they are back in stock). FLAC and 320kbps MP3 (LAME of course)

Thanks!

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 18
Jan 11, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 18
ES2?

maybe。。

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:21 AM Post #4 of 18
Jan 11, 2008 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 18
How about the Shure? The main problem with the Ety is even with foams, they stick out alot and just moving my head from left to right, vice versa, causes them to come out (move cable=move monitor out of ear). The Shure E3s fit perfectly though (with yellow foams)

Earbuds won't stay in my ears either, for sure. (just kind of gives you a comparison as to how small I'm looking for)

Update: well, the flagship shure 530 might not be the one cause of the poor highs.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:36 AM Post #6 of 18
The ES2 is a very full and fluid sound rather than a bright, detailed sound. It also doesn't extend very far in the highs, though it is still very detailed throughout the whole frequency spectrum. I don't think it's ideal for large orchestral works, but it is absolutely fabulous for solo piano and smaller scale pieces. I would describe it as more of a rock and jazz canalphone than a classical one though. It's a very impactful canalphone with lots of drive, on top of its full and fluid sound. The soundstage isn't very big, but the imaging is very very good.

I would wait though; the Westone 3 may end up being better than the ES2 because of its dedicated treble driver. Of course the custom mold matters greatly in sound quality, but with a universal-fit IEM you can always sell it off, and with a custom, the decision is irreversible.

I'd say save up a bit and go for the UE11; it's been described as an upgraded ES2 with better performance at the frequency extremes and a bigger soundstage. Or maybe a 10 Pro is what you need.

Or, maybe you could just get custom sleeves for whatever you have now and wait until there is more info on potential customs.

Don't bother with SE530; it's not an ideal sound signature for classical at all. It has the detail, and the soundstage, but I don't think it has the drive, and the highs are very lacking. Its tone is not the best either, but you will struggle to get a good tone out of a canalphone at any case. The ES2 is the best I've heard so far but it's very far from perfect. Still, the SE530 a universal, meaning you can buy it and audition it for yourself, and you should probably do just that.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 18
Your post was very informative! :thumbsup: I really appreciate you going in so much depth.
You've really got me convinced about the UE 11.....geez..... :|
Is the Triple.fi comparable to the ES2, assuming a perfect fit?

In a crude way:
UE11pro>Triple.fi>ES2 (excluding Ety, I love the Ety sound, perhaps the soundstage isn't the best, but the detail is just...
smily_headphones1.gif
)

It's just I really want comfort. Damn, even ipoo earbuds won't stay in my ears for more than a minute.

Jan 11, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 18
The triple.fi is one of the few canalphones I've never heard, actually.

The ES2 on the same level as the UE 10 Pro (the custom one, not the triple.fi), though with a different sound. In my experience it is far ahead of the SE530, so if you hear the Shure and compare it to the triple.fi, then you can probably get some useful info out of the comparison. The Shure has a canalphone-like sound signature. It has very good detail and instrument separation and a wide soundstage, but its tone is very artificial, the bass is a bit loose, and it is considerably thinner and less natural sounding than a full-sized headphone. For a universal-fit canalphone it's quite good, the best I've heard out of a universal-fit actually, but in the absolute sense, I don't consider it to be good sound.

The ES2 doesn't suffer from any of this. It sounds like a full-sized headphone, and a good one. The SE530 does have a noticeably wider soundstage, and detail level is about the same, but in all other respects the ES2 is well ahead. It's more impactful, it's much fuller, it sounds far more natural, and it has a smoother sound with much more control and refinement across the board. It is fluid and a bit euphonic sounding, but this euphony doesn't come at the price of accuracy. I seriously doubt there is a universal-fit anywhere that's even remotely as good. It is good sound regardless of where it comes from.

I would expect the UE11 to be well ahead of any universal-fit canalphones.

But, as I said, you have a lot of options in the universal-fit area to play around with before venturing into full customs. And, there is a custom Westone on the horizon with three drivers. The current ES3 is tuned for stage performance only and has a very bumped-up midrange, but I think the new one will be for monitoring and personal listening as well and will sound flat. I don't know when it will come out, but if the ES2 is on the same level as the 10 Pro, the new Westone should be on the same level as the UE11, provided Westone doesn't mess anything up (yes I know this is retard logic but bear with me). And at this level, differences are more a matter of preference than absolute performance.

So, it may make sense to wait before rushing out to get a custom, unless of course you are sick and tired of your rig, then by all means go ahead.

I'm waiting for the Westone custom as well, before I move on from the ES2. I will compare it to the UE11 pro based on the opinions of people whose ears I trust, and who I know cannot resist owning both, before making up my mind which way to go. I'm happy with the ES2, but my classical listening consists mainly of solo piano (classically trained pianist myself) and that has very different requirements as far as sound quality is concerned.

Also, I have no experience with Livewires or any of the new inexpensive customs that are out there. Maybe they've caught up to the ES2/10 Pro, but I wouldn't be the right person to ask. Still, they're a very attractive option.

[Edit: since you're obviously serious about getting a good custom-molded canalphone, I suggest sending a PM to Digihead. He owns the ES2, the UE 10 Pro, the UE 11, the Sensaphonics, and who knows what else. He is THE man to talk to about custom-molded headphones, and has very good hearing as well.]

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #9 of 18
Well, I'd prefer to keep it down, as really, I will probably change again in the next year, and the next...and what if I loose them, etc.

The UE-11 works out to $575 an earphone! I'm really trying to make it 600 and below, 600 is really at the edge (people would kill me for spending that much, even though I really think its worth it).

I'll wait, but I want to know some facts about the Triple.fi, cause I could try them and keep/sell them. They aren't that bad right?
Is the Westone 3 the one you are waiting for?
Has anybody listened to classical (from Wagner to solo piano) through the Triple.fi, and how is comfort (esp. with small ears, don't like IEMs that stick out).

I am also a classical trained pianist
cool.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:19 AM Post #10 of 18
Hi
im fairly new to this headphone malarky but i decided to upgrade my ipod earbuds

I was advised se530 and triple fi 10
couldnt decide on which so i bought them both

As time goes by i find myself reaching for yhe triple fi more and more

I listen to a bit of classical (canon d major, bach, etc) and trance, which are similar to each other ( but its mostly emo rock/ metalcore)

They are far better than the se530 imo and they fit better and i can listen to them loud and quiet umlike the se530 ( and I like blue LOL)

Could not justify the ue11 with only 1 year warrenty, and i might not like them, on which case you cant sell tjem on

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:25 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not the universal-fit one, though I may pick it up to mess around with it, then sell it off.

There will be a brand new custom Westone canalphone with 3 drivers, tuned to sound flat rather than with bumped-up mids like the current ES3. Westone will release it after they release the universal-fit 3.

The triple.fi certainly sounds like the way to go from what I'm reading.

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin2net /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I'd prefer to keep it down, as really, I will probably change again in the next year, and the next...and what if I loose them, etc.

The UE-11 works out to $575 an earphone! I'm really trying to make it 600 and below, 600 is really at the edge (people would kill me for spending that much, even though I really think its worth it).

I'll wait, but I want to know some facts about the Triple.fi, cause I could try them and keep/sell them. They aren't that bad right?
Has anybody listened to classical (from Wagner to solo piano) through the Triple.fi, and how is comfort (esp. with small ears, don't like IEMs that stick out).

I am also a classical trained pianist
cool.gif

Hey fellow musician! I'm a classical musician studying violin interpretation right now and I love to listen to a lot of classical music including violin solos, piano solos, orchestral pieces, and operas. As one of those "fashion freaked" girls, I've always been in search of the perfect IEM for classical music and as of now, I can say that the UE-10 pro wins hands down (haven't heard 11 yet).

However, I know that you are on a budget and would like to keep the costs down. You asked about the Triple.fi's regarding its affinity to classical music and comfort. From my experiences, the Triple.fi is actually quite a good IEM for classical, hands down above all other universal IEMs in terms of sound quality. The Triple.fi does suffer from some design issues, but I've always been able to achieve a decent/good fit (I consider myself to have small ears). Unfortunately, it sticks out more than most IEMs but not to a level that's really bothered me unless I'm trying to sleep with them on.

The other good choice you have left is the livewires. I ordered these a week ago and as soon as I get them, I will try to give you a response as to how well they fare with classical music and against other IEMs.

Would you like to tell me exactly what pieces of music you really like listening to? I can try testing those on my earphones
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 16, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by powertoold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get the FreQs Custom Fit Earbuds - The FreQ .

They are absolutely amazing for classical music, especially piano. The FreQs are also very affordable - $189 for the 3 driver custom.

Dude I hate you! Now I wanna get the Freqs too so I can compare with livewires...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back