Which current notebook have digital audio output - fiber or coaxial?
Mar 30, 2020 at 7:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Piccaso

New Head-Fier
Hi guys... i hope, someone will can help me...maybe... I look for some notebook, which is now available on the market, which have digital audio output - fiber or coaxial. Do you have some idea, knowledge please? Untill now no body help me.... :/ Thanks....

Mar 30, 2020 at 12:26 PM Post #3 of 12
Ahoj Picasso,

Eurocomm has toslink out on some models. But the prices reflect it...

USB is the higher-bandwidth alternative that almost every modern DAC supports. That would normally be the easiest way to connect.

Mar 30, 2020 at 12:28 PM Post #4 of 12
Hi guys... i hope, someone will can help me...maybe... I look for some notebook, which is now available on the market, which have digital audio output - fiber or coaxial. Do you have some idea, knowledge please? Untill now no body help me.... :/ Thanks....
Why not just use the USB digital audio output?

Mar 30, 2020 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 12
In the past multi media models often had SPDIF and/or Toslink out.
It is becoming rare.
If you really need SPDIF, your best bet is probably a USB to SPDIF converter.
At first, i looked for most simple way - one cable from notebook to my DAC. But as i can see, i have to use or USB to SPDIF reduction, or HDMI to SPDIF. Here i think is beter, higher quality go from HDMI to SPDIF, than from USB. Cost for both are similar. Just, it will need one box more on my desk...ufff... thanks...

Mar 30, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 12
Ahoj Picasso,

Eurocomm has toslink out on some models. But the prices reflect it...

USB is the higher-bandwidth alternative that almost every modern DAC supports. That would normally be the easiest way to connect.
Hi man... thanks...Eurocom...uff...yep, that´s true...price reflect that... is over any my limits. Any way, as i wrote up, at first i looked for most simple way - just one cable from PC to my DAC. But as i can see, is gone. I have to use some extender from USB to SPDIF, or from HDMI to SPDIF. Price are similar. But i think, higher quality will be HDMI to SPDIF than from USB... that´s right? Any way, on my desk will be for one box more, plus some cables...ufff... i don´t like it... :/

Mar 30, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 12
If one box more is the problem, get yourself a decent DAC with USB input
There are plenty of them.
Just an example of what $250 can buy you: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...iew-and-measurements-of-topping-d50-dac.2403/
"problem" is, that i have already DAC also with headphone amp, and DAC have just fiber and coaxial inputs. I´m no colector for devices, i don´t have idea buy a next one.... Any way, these extenders from HDMI to SPDIF or simlar are small, just biger net of the cables on the desk... :)

Mar 30, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 12
Hi man... thanks...Eurocom...uff...yep, that´s true...price reflect that... is over any my limits. Any way, as i wrote up, at first i looked for most simple way - just one cable from PC to my DAC. But as i can see, is gone. I have to use some extender from USB to SPDIF, or from HDMI to SPDIF. Price are similar. But i think, higher quality will be HDMI to SPDIF than from USB... that´s right? Any way, on my desk will be for one box more, plus some cables...ufff... i don´t like it... :/

I really don't know about the converters, I'm sorry. At this point in time, USB can carry DSD512 or 768KHz PCM. There is no need for more bandwidth with available recordings today and probably not for a long time. Even USB 2.0 is fast enough.

Mar 30, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #10 of 12
There are legit reasons to want to utilize optical rather than USB, even though USB offers more bandwidth. The main two being not having to fiddle with drivers, true plug and play. The other being no chance of system noise coming through your DAC.

Mar 30, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 12
At first, i looked for most simple way - one cable from notebook to my DAC. But as i can see, i have to use or USB to SPDIF reduction, or HDMI to SPDIF. Here i think is better, higher quality go from HDMI to SPDIF, than from USB. Cost for both are similar. Just, it will need one box more on my desk...ufff... thanks...
HDMI can handle 8 channel (7.1) of digital audio, but I'm guess you will only be sending a 2-channels (2.0) of digital audio, which USB can easily handle.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #12 of 12
Hi Guys... i feel sorry for a veeeery late replay. Just i was at crazy time and situations. Btw, i made a choice - bout just "normal" laptop and ordered from aliexpress box - reduction from HDMI to SPDIF and tosling and HDMI both outputs. Looks great and work perfect, even as you said, need one box more on the desk. Thanks again guys...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back