which current ipod or mp3 player is recognised as having the best built in DAC?
May 7, 2009 at 3:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Exit Pupil

100+ Head-Fier
i have a g5 30 (or 40?) gig ipod and use it on lossless for my main rig quite often (using a dock to rca cable), and was thinking of getting a new player soon. i would like to use it more often as a source in my main home stereo 2 channel valve set up.

so, without getting one of thase wadia doodads, which portable player is recognised as having the best built in DAC?

Cheers

May 11, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 10
I've heard very good things about both the current ipod classic and the ipod touch.

As to docks, eh, my experience is they're all pretty similar. I like the pocket dock because it's small, and lets me use whatever cable i want. But then, I mostly just use my ESW9s straight from the headphone out these days. Maybe the pico slim will change that.

May 11, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 10
Why ask about best DAC? It seem to me you are looking for the best lineout rather than the best DAC. the ipod classic has a better lineout than the 5G but not a better DAC. for the best DAC is kinda difficult question, maybe the older a1000 sonys with an Burr Brown PCM1772 but that's not current.

May 11, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #6 of 10
you could always iMod/diyMod your 5G. The 6G has better line out, but I think 5G has better DAC like Nagasaki Kid says. the iMod/diyMod improves the line out so that you get the cleanest sound possible from the 5G DAC.

May 12, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #8 of 10
I would have to say my Cowon D2 sounds pretty impressive through my home stereo, using FLAC. I know it uses a Burr Brown chip but I don't remember which one. It really blows the Sansa Clip out of the water when I hook them both up to my stereo. I'm a noobie, but I really think the quality is very good. I'm going to do A/B/C tests with CD player, Cowon D2, and Xonar Essence STX sound card when I finally get one, it should be very interesting.

May 13, 2009 at 1:37 AM Post #10 of 10
The new classic and G2 Touch have the best SQs of the iPods, but the iPhone beats them by a little (not sure about the iPhone part).

About the wire, if you can, I would suggesting you to try and find someone on this site to make a cable for you.

There are plenty of people that do it on here and IMO (and many people can back me on this), the people that make the cables here will make you a BETTER cable (better materials (silver/gold)) for less than what is being sold at online stores.

Now I'm not a cable expert at pricing, but I have seen great cables being sold from people like QUSP(sp?) and Lil' Knight (which I got my lod from and LOVE it) at good prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back