Which computer speakers should i buy?
Aug 3, 2010 at 2:16 PM Post #16 of 48
bump

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #17 of 48
Which setup goes well with the BX5a? Were can you get a cheap price for them?

Aug 3, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #18 of 48
Aug 3, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #19 of 48
Aug 4, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #20 of 48
dude, the bx5a's are powered, they dont need an amp. I would recommend you get a usb DAC  with those, that is a minimum requirement, but there is no way you can get that and a sub.  i would get the dac and the speakers now, listen to them, and then decide if you need a sub or not.  most people do fine without one. 

Aug 5, 2010 at 12:06 AM Post #21 of 48
You don't need a snake oil dac, you need a reciever or something with a sub out. Or a line-level crossover of some sort.

DAC hardly affects the quality, see links in sig. We're talking differences of .1% between dacs, and maybe some colored dacs with reduced bass/highs response. Anything with an SNR over 95db should be transparent.

Seriously, you're better off getting $800 speakers before even CONSIDERING a dac.

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #22 of 48

DAC hardly affects the quality, see links in sig.

Your source is and will always be your weakest link. You can plug the best headphones in the world to the Musiland 02US, they'll always sound like ****(sloppy clocking, crappy opamps, way too high gain, stellar ripple PSU, etc etc). But I applaud your dedication to help the stray sheeps, you're such a good samaritan.

Aug 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #24 of 48

Quote:
You don't need a snake oil dac, you need a reciever or something with a sub out. Or a line-level crossover of some sort.

DAC hardly affects the quality, see links in sig. We're talking differences of .1% between dacs, and maybe some colored dacs with reduced bass/highs response. Anything with an SNR over 95db should be transparent.

Seriously, you're better off getting $800 speakers before even CONSIDERING a dac.

I am hearing more than 1% between my old x-fi xtremegamer and Essence ST.   So.....
confused.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #28 of 48
If listening to Brand X consistently sounds better than Brand Y, what does it matter if its a placebo or not?

Just for kicks, say it is 100% placebo, but still Brand X sounds better to Joe Smith.  Why shouldn't Joe choose that brand?

Fact is YES the placebo affect is real....which is the point it is perceived as real and this is all that matters.

I have some Silver powercords that sound fantastic to ME, should I care if they sound exactly the same as any other powercord with someone elses ears?

The day I can hear with someone elses ears is the day I will listen to their opinion as to what does or should sound best to me....

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #29 of 48
would a iBasso D2+ Boa and the BX5a be a good pair?

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #30 of 48
In my humble opinion if you have 400 save up and get some good speakers, you will be glad you did.
Another month or two of saving and you will probably be happier longer. Cheap speakers are just that.
I have heard the BX5A, actually had them in my house for a few weeks cranked up, etc. They were returned,
for just the reasons I first enumerated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back