Which component should I upgrade first?
Jan 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Ckaz

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to get on with purchasing my bedside rig, and I'm wondering which component I should upgrade to first..
I currently have an E-MU 0404 DAC, Shure SRH 840 headphones, and a 16gb ipod.

I plan to buy a LittleDot MK IV SE tube amp, an iPod transport (Onkyo ND-S1 or something similar), a pair of HD 650's, and a bigger ipod.
I currently have around $450, but I don't come into large amounts of money very often so I need to make this purchase count.

I was at first thinking I would forsure go for the tube amplifier. It would make my headphones sound wonderful, I'm sure. This would allow me to scratch off needing a pair of HD 650's for a little while. However, it would leave me broke and needing to wait a longg time before I could buy anything else. Also, I can bypass the ipod's internal amp with an LOD, but I can't bypass the internal DAC unless I get a transport. I feel as though having the internal DAC would be bottlenecking the system.

So it crossed my mind that I could get the transport along with the new ipod. This way I can bypass all of the ipod`s internal components and use the 0404`s DAC and headphone amp. I would get the new amp next, but obviously not for quite some time considering how long it would take me to regain the funds. The problem with that is I've heard the Shure 840's don't respond that well to solid state amps. They are already quite easy to drive, so they don't exactly need the amplification. Add that to the fact that the 0404 is meant for studio use, I don't really feel as though it would be bringing the headphones to life like the tube amp could. I'm prepared to live with that for a little while until I get the tube amp, I'm just scared I won't hear a difference at all, and then end up feeling like I've wasted my money.

The iPod upgrade is necessary because I like being able to have my whole library available. Its a personal thing. And yes, I have no problem with buying these things used, if I can manage to find it (which I haven't been able to up until now).

Some advice would greatly appreciated! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back