Which company makes the best car speakers?
Apr 6, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #31 of 99
Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents here. I have yet to hear a truly impressive system from the manufacturer. The H&K in my mom's Mercedes is an overpriced joke. The frequency response is alright with some tuning but the clarity and imaging is nonexistant (And it doesn't help that the head unit sounds horribly compressed no matter the source). The "premium" Bose system that came with my '03 Pontiac was pretty awful, albeit much better than the stock systems in most cars. I've got Alpine Type R components running off a cheap Rockford amp in it now which are not too bad for the money, especially considering I had them put in the factory locations (absolutely horrible positioning). I'm soon getting a new car and will save up for a set of Focal Performance components, a JL amp, Alpine head unit, and JL sub. When I finally have that I'll let you all know how it sounds.

Apr 7, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #32 of 99
If imaging matters, then get a four channel amp for the speakers, and a PXA-H100 processor (works off any newer Ai-Net head unit). That way you can apply custom time delay on each tweeter and midwoofer and sync all of them to the subwoofer.

May 2, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #33 of 99
In all honesty there isn't a "best" in car audio, there are so many companies out there producing some amazing audiophile level equipment.  So I will answer this question as what is my favorite and why.

JL Audio is my pick by a long shot for everything, not just speakers but all products this company makes....  Unfortunately they don't make a head unit and that's only because they don't make one, otherwise I would pick that one as well.

I wont go into the history of all the JL Audio equipment I've owned as I want to just answer the question and let you all do the research yourself into this amazing company.

So the last system I bought is listed below.

Honda S2000 - I realize this isn't the greatest car for a premium sound system... don't judge me >.> Best car I've ever owned too though. :D

Head unit:  JVC KD-AVX77 El Kameleon

Components:  JL Audio ZR650-C Si  (Owned the C5-650's and it's hard to tell the difference really and you'll save about 400 bones)
Amp for components:  JL Audio HD600/4

Subwoofer:  JL Audio 12W7-3
Amp for Sub:  JL Audio HD750/1  

May 3, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #34 of 99
  In all honesty there isn't a "best" in car audio, there are so many companies out there producing some amazing audiophile level equipment.

Personally the  installation quality matters a lot more, and when some brands win more than others, it's really a matter of which brand can sponsor the best installers. That isn't absolute though - you can't just get a set of Pyle speakers and expect it to match Focal Utopias with the installation and EQ.

Unfortunately regardless of what brand people tend to dismiss proper installation for a varieyt of reasons - (added) cost or time if DIY-ed, "destructive" to the interior (only if not done right, and also why I'd rather drive a five year old car than a new one), or they just don't understand the reality of what a car's interior looks like vs what a listening room at home looks like in the same sense that some people keep replacing their speakers at home without acknowledging or realizing that the room is the real problem.

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #35 of 99
One word.....Focal.  But recently they have released a entry level set of components which sux.  Hate it when a well known, high quality, high priced company does that just to get sales from those who cant afford the high priced stuff but still want their name.  Smart, but shameful really.

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #36 of 99
  One word.....Focal.  But recently they have released a entry level set of components which sux.  Hate it when a well known, high quality, high priced company does that just to get sales from those who cant afford the high priced stuff but still want their name.  Smart, but shameful really.

DLS is good too but those damn basketball grills don't work in some cars. I couldn't get the MS6a tweets to image the vocals in the center properly, although I loved the tone. Percussion isn't as audible as Focals when the car is running though.

Oct 3, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #37 of 99
Great advice. I recently won gift certificates to 2 scrap yards. I didn't know how to spend the money so I got the idea to upgrade my car's sound system. I took a bunch of speakers that looked good from expensive cards and plugged them in one by one. I found huge differences. I tried Bose, Infinity, Clarion, Pioneer, harmon Kardon and others. Bose (2 sizes from Nissan Maximas) were the best, just blew me away with their rich sound, and Pioneer door speakers sounded amazing for their size (but I can't remember what car they came from). The Harmon Cardon I took from a 2002 Range Rover sounded really tinny. The Infinities were noisey and Clarion sounded cheap. I listened to the choices with another person and she evaluated them the same way I did because the differences were not subtle.  I also got a gigantic heavy speaker from a Lexus which was great but I don't know what to do with it. The best part is, they all cost $6 a piece and the bad ones were returnable.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #38 of 99
Here's my two cents.

JBL actually has the best mid-fi, affordable speakers and tweeters. I don't know about their subs, because most people who listen to that kind of music have no clue what Hi-Fi audio is.

Infinity systems that come factory installed are kinda bad, but some aren't too shabby. (depending on your model.)

Rockford Fosgate amps have some pretty good features, and their power handling is great. Apparently their subs are amazing, although I havent heard them.

I have not been in any Harmon Kardon cars sadly, so I can't tell you there.

Oct 22, 2014 at 12:58 PM Post #39 of 99
  JBL actually has the best mid-fi, affordable speakers and tweeters. I don't know about their subs, because most people who listen to that kind of music have no clue what Hi-Fi audio is.

Low to Midrange in price, at least among the popular brands that one can find just about anywhere easily. But at some point the DLS MS6 came out and knocked off the Power series for roughly just $35 more over here; then the Hertz DSK came out for roguhly $45 more than the GTO and that one got knocked off its perch. Nowadays I think the HSK plus some other more obscure brands can beat JBL at any price range save for its TOTL speaker, at which point of course it's competing with the likes of the K2P.

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #40 of 99

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say here.  What "kind of music" are you referring to?  And are you saying that anyone that wants a subwoofer has "no clue what Hi-Fi audio is?"

Oct 22, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #41 of 99
what I meant was....

JBL should just stay in the pro audio and live sound market, not go to into subwoofers so that you can blast out the windows of any house you pass in your car.

Yes I was aiming that comment at genres like rap and today's top 40, but I didn't mean anything by it. Nothing personal. I just like music that has actual instruments and real talent. 
 And are you saying that anyone that wants a subwoofer has "no clue what Hi-Fi audio is?"

No, not anyone who wants a subwoofer, just someone who puts 3 15's in their trunk.

And I'll repeat, I really don't mean any harm by saying this.

Oct 22, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #42 of 99
I wasn't offended, just confused.  
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #44 of 99
I know this is an old thread, but I figured I would put in my .02
I have a 2014 550i BMW with whatever high end speaker option BMW has. (Not sure really what it is) and know the car to be pretty well sound deadend from the factory. It sounds good, but to this day, the best FACTORY system I have heard is in my 2014 GMC Sierra. It has the high end (for GMC) Bose system with all the nifty screens and USB ports.
From the factory it has an 8" sub in the center console, and incredible mid bass speakers in the doors, the dash has 2 rather large speakers that I am assuming to be a midrange speaker. The new 2014 GMC Sierra is on par with new Lexus cars with sound deadening, less than the BMW 550 but much better than past trucks. There isn't too much Bass, IMO it is just right and you don't get that real ear piercing treble like you do in most poorly done aftermarket stereos with tweeters, not to mention the clarity is insane being a factory system, you can hear inhalation a of singers, fingers sliding on guitar strings, etc. Stuff I cannot hear in the BMW..
I'd consider myself a beginner on aftermarket stereos, and have only heard good things about focal. Just figured I'd put in my opinion on the two vehicles I own and their factory systems. I would love to take a Bose system out of a 14 GMC and put it in my old Bronco as well as a large amount of sound deadening

Jan 26, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #45 of 99
I am currently using the 6.5 components with one JLW7 10" sub and have excellent results on somewhat of a tight budget,  Sound matt has been installed during the installation as well as high end cabling.   300 wpc channeled to the components, one 1000w mono-amp going to the sub.  In addition, one of pioneers head units installed that I believe is one of the true audiophile head units on the market with all sorts of roll off points, auto-setup with time lapse to provide that provides an excellent sound stage.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back