Which come closer to AKG K 240 DF?
Jan 21, 2013 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

K 240 DF

Head-Fier
Hello All,

i need help.
I used to listen to music a long period with AKG K 240 DF.
They are not built any more.

In the last view years i did the Sony MDR- 7506.

But now, i try to find a new one which is more open in the mid range, just like the K 240 DF.

If you know the K 240 DF and probably the Sony MDR-7506 which headphone will fix my problem and my experience?

Thanks for reading and answering,

greetings

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 44
Sorry, but I don't really understand the question.
Are you looking to upgrade, or did your K240DF just die and you need a replacement?

If you love the K240DF, just get another one. All the vintage K240's are excellent and mostly well worth their 2nd hand prices (mostly around $50-70)

Or if it broke, they're really easy to fix.

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #4 of 44
Aside from having a bit more bass out of my setup the Q701 has a pretty similar tonal balance to the (late-production) K240DF I used to own. Or just follow GREQ's suggestion and track down a used K240DF, they can often be found on ebay or elsewhere.

Jan 21, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #6 of 44
"Aside from having a bit more bass out of my setup the Q701 has a pretty similar tonal balance to the (late-production) K240DF I used to own."

What are the differences between K 240 DF and the Q701?
And is there any reason why the Q701 is much more expensive than the K 701?

Thanks for reply :)

..sorry for dual postings: i have read from other K 240 DF User, that the K-240 MKll
does not sound the same as the K 240 DF. Bad Highs, no midrange, bad quality etc., they are disappointed... :frowning2:

Should i give a try?

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #7 of 44
Any reason you can't fix the broken one? It's one of the easiest of any headphone model to repair because of it's modular construction.

Jan 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #8 of 44
Quote:
Any reason you can't fix the broken one? It's one of the easiest of any headphone model to repair because of it's modular construction.

...it is a long time ago - nearly three years. I had repaired the headphone many times, but at the end it was to much trouble. Another problem was that 600Ohm which was hard to manage...

So, something new but equal or better must come now :)

(sorry for my bad english)

Jan 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #9 of 44
Quote:
...it is a long time ago - nearly three years. I had repaired the headphone many times, but at the end it was to much trouble. Another problem was that 600Ohm which was hard to manage...

So, something new but equal or better must come now :)

(sorry for my bad english)

If it needs a new home, I'll gladly give it shelter 
size]

Mar 2, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 44
Having read some of the feedback on these headphones, my curiosity has got the better of me and I've just won a pair on eBay! very excited to get them, given that I also have some HifiMan HE-400s on the way too!

I can't believe I've just paid £70 for these and people are comparing them to HD650s and even HD800s. I have the HD598s and am looking forward to comparing them..

Mar 2, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #12 of 44
Quote:
I can't believe I've just paid £70 for these and people are comparing them to HD650s and even HD800s. I have the HD598s and am looking forward to comparing them..

In my opinion, you paid a bit too much. People comparing the DF to the HD 800 are either talking out of personal preference or the HD 800 really must not be that impressive. The K 240 DF is a good can, but I'd describe them more as mid-fi.

Mar 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

In my opinion, you paid a bit too much. People comparing the DF to the HD 800 are either talking out of personal preference or the HD 800 really must not be that impressive. The K 240 DF is a good can, but I'd describe them more as mid-fi.

Maybe since the HD-800 is out, and the peoples got used to their sound signature...the DF can be consider again as a high end gem. in other words I'll be glad to have a pair of the DF. 

Mar 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #14 of 44
In that price range, and pretending orthos didn't exist, I'd go for the vintage Beyer DT 990 instead. Even stricter adherence to diffuse field than on the DF, and with a more refined driver. And easier to drive.

Mar 3, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #15 of 44

Eek! Well, it all got a bit aggressive towards the end of the auction and I just really wanted them, so kept bidding. They seem quite rare and looked in really nice condition on the photos.

Maybe I have paid a little too much, but by all accounts they are better than the new K240, so I've paid less than that, which is fine by me.

I've seen them on completed listings go for more and less than that, so I guess I wouldn't lose that much if I didn't like them and decided to sell them again.

I've never owned any AKGs, so I'm very excited about receiving this vintage pair! I'll have to get a nice set of Beyers next, complete the collection :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back