Which college for business?
Apr 30, 2008 at 1:49 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, I'm wondering how important is college exactly? I did some thinking and I'm just not sure if I'm a school kind of person.
confused.gif

BBA from any one of the famous schools will go a loooong way toward anything you will do in the future. Your school prestige and your undergraduate GPA will determine what kind of life you will have for 99.9% of the students. Sure there are exceptions, but that's not the norm. If you have $30k to spend, go for NYU, Uof Chicago, Northwestern, UofMichigan, Harvard, etc.

Would you rather manage a golf course (not saying managing golf course is bad) or manage a venture backed startup, be an analyst for one of the top banks around the world, working toward being a partner at a larger accounting firm, participating in a $1 billion dollar M/A, or better yet start your own venture backed technology company (you just need to find some geeks
wink.gif
? The salary of the brightest starts from the most prestigious schools command a considerable overhead in their 1st year salary over their lesser learned classmates and the gap only widens from there.

This is the only time in your life where every one starts off from the same baseline; no corporate politics, no unforeseen market risk, no difficult seller/buyer, nothing..just you, your books, and your professors. Work hard, you will not regret this.

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #18 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just the most unoriginal, boring major ever, and most of my friends who have gotten a business degree regret it. It's vanilla. It's beige. It's mediocrity. The people who are happy being business majors are usually shallow, materialistic people who drive beige toyota camrys and live in beige mcmansions in boring suburbs.

I don't want that. Do you want that? I'd rather have less money and a more interesting life than a corporate jackass who worships golfing on the weekend as a high point in his life.

Drop some more generalizations while you're at it. -_-

I know it can be difficult, but try not to look at college as a hassle. Try to look at it as a very wise investment. For what I want to do with my life, a degree isn't 100% necessary, but I'm glad that I will always have a backup plan should I falter at some point. Some of my classes have been excellent to boot; really intellectually-challenging, thought-provoking, and worthwhile. Is it tedious? Sure. But I'd rather feel static now so I don't have to later.

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #19 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Right now, I'm wondering how important is college exactly? I did some thinking and I'm just not sure if I'm a school kind of person.
confused.gif

College isn't that important. Depends on what you're looking to do with your life, but in a lot of cases, education isn't the foundation of success.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You NEED to go to the college these days. Trust me.

I highly disagree with you.

Quote:

Not really.

This is the first time I agree with anything you've said...write down the date and time! LOL!

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:58 PM Post #20 of 37
Too many business student think they can become managers without doing **** and just read about marketing from a book. There are exceptions of course.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BBA from any one of the famous schools will go a loooong way toward anything you will do in the future. Your school prestige and your undergraduate GPA will determine what kind of life you will have for 99.9% of the students.

I think grad school prestige and GPA is more important. And while you probably can't become a top analyst at a top bank (yawn) or partner at an accounting company (yaaaaawn) without being a graduate from a top school, doesn't mean you can't get venture backed capital or succeed in business in general. That's simply not true. It'll give you a head start but I know more successful business people than I know Ivy Leaguers.

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #21 of 37
from what all my business major friends tell me, choice of school is very important when it comes to business, the better the school, the bigger the good old boy network is, thus finding a quality job after school is easier

the better business schools will also have extensive services available to help you tweak the crap out of your resume specifically for each job your applying for, and help you a ton when it comes to getting internships, and jobs

I hate to say it, but a college degree really is almost necessary these days, and if your going into the business world, i can only suggest to really think about getting your MBA, where what school you go to is even more important then your undergrad

now if your good at what you do, you'll end up in a similar place with a lesser school in time, but, that big name school will help you get your foot in the door right out of school, and give you a large alumni base to network with in business

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #22 of 37
My father is quite successful - he is retiring at age 47. His startup is now in it's 9th year I believe and is the largest medical imaging storage company in the world and has the largest computer database in the world (even including governments) but he told me that it took him an extra 10-15 years to get where he is today because he dropped out of college.

He said that too many times to count, there were positions in other companies that he was way more qualified for than his rivals, but that he was told flat out "we can't promote you to Executive Vice President because it would look bad for our company for a VP not to have a degree".

It bothered him so much that now thta he is retiring, he is getting his BA, masters, and a doctorate.

Apr 30, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #23 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Too many business student think they can become managers without doing **** and just read about marketing from a book. There are exceptions of course.

I think grad school prestige and GPA is more important. And while you probably can't become a top analyst at a top bank (yawn) or partner at an accounting company (yaaaaawn) without being a graduate from a top school, doesn't mean you can't get venture backed capital or succeed in business in general. That's simply not true. It'll give you a head start but I know more successful business people than I know Ivy Leaguers.

I am not sure what level of business people you often come in contact and what you mean by successful.

Sure you get a yawn being an average analyst..but what about anaylsts that get to participate in the big MA deal? or fly around the world buying and selling businesses?

I have to agree with you on the accounting (yaaaaawn)...but I have friends for whom accounting is their passion......so what can I say.....I suppose there is a certain analytical and intellectually challenging side to creative bean counting.

So the question is do you want to make alot of money the risky/take my chance way or the orderly and sure way.......either way you will get their..but the chance of your failing going the risky/take my chance way is exponentially higher.

FYI: IIRC the average starting salary for top MBA student is around $150k with bonus topping out around $200K/yr. and average starting salary for top law student is around $175K with bonus topping out around $240K....just imaging you would have made over $1mil before your 30th birthday
wink.gif
of course couple known NY firms/banks have gone higher than that giving out ridiculous large bonus (usually big M/A deals).... Most 'business people' you meet on the street probably don't even come close to making that. And even if they do now they didn't when they first started so the opportunity cost is substantial when you start your own business (unless you are venture backed).

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanG /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get by without going to college for sure. I know people like this, even in positions where the official job description claims the person doing the job needs a college degree. But you'll have to work twice as hard without a college degree to get a job than you will with one. Whether it's fair or not, many employers won't even consider applicants who don't have a college degree. So skipping out on college because you just don't want to do it is probably not such a good idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerpro3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My father is quite successful - he is retiring at age 47. His startup is now in it's 9th year I believe and is the largest medical imaging storage company in the world and has the largest computer database in the world (even including governments) but he told me that it took him an extra 10-15 years to get where he is today because he dropped out of college.

He said that too many times to count, there were positions in other companies that he was way more qualified for than his rivals, but that he was told flat out "we can't promote you to Executive Vice President because it would look bad for our company for a VP not to have a degree".

It bothered him so much that now thta he is retiring, he is getting his BA, masters, and a doctorate.

So true, listen to them. While I'm not looking for corporate career, I went back to school for back up reason.

Quote:

It's just the most unoriginal, boring major ever, and most of my friends who have gotten a business degree regret it. It's vanilla. It's beige. It's mediocrity. The people who are happy being business majors are usually shallow, materialistic people who drive beige toyota camrys and live in beige mcmansions in boring suburbs.

I don't want that. Do you want that? I'd rather have less money and a more interesting life than a corporate jackass who worships golfing on the weekend as a high point in his life.

The most stupid post I read in this thread. What is this compared to? Design school. Huh, most of my friend graduate from design school has strugled to find a job which utilize their skill. What job did they end up for? some office job doing business admin. My bestfriend, a graduate of graphic design, end up taking another accounting degree and currently happily employed in KPMG.
For other head-fiers, check cash68 post history before you take his post seriously.

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #25 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by chesebert /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sure you get a yawn being an average analyst..but what about anaylsts that get to participate in the big MA deal? or fly around the world buying and selling businesses?

FYI: IIRC the average starting salary for top MBA student is around $150k with bonus topping out around $200K/yr. and average starting salary for top law student is around $175K with bonus topping out around $240K....just imaging you would have made over $1mil before your 30th birthday
wink.gif
of course couple known NY firms/banks have gone higher than that giving out ridiculous large bonus (usually big M/A deals).... Most 'business people' you meet on the street probably don't even come close to making that. And even if they do now they didn't when they first started so the opportunity cost is substantial when you start your own business (unless you are venture backed).

Well that is fine, but in my experience that comes at a cost: boring work, long hours, and superficial people.
I guess you can distract yourself with toys...when you have time.

That said, consider the school at which you would be most likely to be at the top of your class. Then hope for an internship

Apr 30, 2008 at 6:38 PM Post #26 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by diogenes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well that is fine, but in my experience that comes at a cost: boring work, long hours, and superficial people.

These are not exclusive to any one field. I am a piano performance major (one of those foolish artists following their dreams) and there is plenty of boring work, long hours, and superficial people.

The same goes for any field.

Apr 30, 2008 at 10:50 PM Post #28 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
McCombs School of Business at the University of Texas in Austin. Assuming you can get in.

in that case, Wharton School of Business.

Apr 30, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #30 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by RYCeT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in that case, Wharton School of Business.

In that case Ross School of Business

Users who are viewing this thread

Back