Which college for business?
Apr 30, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 37
It's just the most unoriginal, boring major ever, and most of my friends who have gotten a business degree regret it. It's vanilla. It's beige. It's mediocrity. The people who are happy being business majors are usually shallow, materialistic people who drive beige toyota camrys and live in beige mcmansions in boring suburbs.

I don't want that. Do you want that? I'd rather have less money and a more interesting life than a corporate jackass who worships golfing on the weekend as a high point in his life.

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:25 AM Post #5 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's just the most unoriginal, boring major ever, and most of my friends who have gotten a business degree regret it. It's vanilla. It's beige. It's mediocrity. The people who are happy being business majors are usually shallow, materialistic people who drive beige toyota camrys and live in beige mcmansions in boring suburbs.

I don't want that. Do you want that? I'd rather have less money and a more interesting life than a corporate jackass who worships golfing on the weekend as a high point in his life.

I am not sure there is any particular value in telling someone to avoid majoring in business when, in fact, he indicated that his interests and talent point in that direction. That you find business boring is no evidence that he would as well.

I teach at a Business School and I can assure you that your caricature of business students paints a grossly unfair picture of the students I encounter in class each day.

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 37
UP is a private school. UO is a public school. So on a tuition basis, it's no contest. As a HI resident, UO would be cheaper via western student exchange
Are you sure you're not confusing University of Portland with Portland State University? PSU does have the reputation for having a good business school.

/PSU Undergrad

Apr 30, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #7 of 37
NYU Stern is supposed to be one of the best business schools. Maybe a bit pricey..

My older sister went to Boston University's School of Management (she majored in Business Management). It's a decent school, and they redid the SMG building a few years ago.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cash68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My sister is happy that she majored in business and she is far from what you've just stated. Ironically, after graduating, her first job was managing a golf course, not playing golf on weekends.
Business isn't a very broad field, but there are many different jobs that are very unalike the typical "boring" life you've described.
Some people even go on to start their own small businesses. Some of Head-Fi's sponsors might have been started by people with business majors.

Apr 30, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #11 of 37
Right now, I'm wondering how important is college exactly? I did some thinking and I'm just not sure if I'm a school kind of person.
confused.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:33 PM Post #14 of 37
You can get by without going to college for sure. I know people like this, even in positions where the official job description claims the person doing the job needs a college degree. But you'll have to work twice as hard without a college degree to get a job than you will with one. Whether it's fair or not, many employers won't even consider applicants who don't have a college degree. So skipping out on college because you just don't want to do it is probably not such a good idea.

Apr 30, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 37
go to college.

even though you won't learn much, it's still necessary to get a decent job and into grad school, where you actually do learn something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back