Which closed Sennheisers?
Oct 23, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True. The sound signature of the hd25s is not very typical of sennheisers in general. The hd280 is around that pricerange, but they do sound very boxy, thin/shallow, and are large, i mean huge
smily_headphones1.gif

Though they are rather well regarded in studio use.
If you like a dynamic sound, Sony mdr-7506 are a choice too. They are juicy, but lack midrange. Plus they go over your ears, in other words, are objectively very comfortable. Minus is that they have a coiled cord. (takes lots of space in your pocket or even from a backpack)

I'm sorry OP for getting carried away, but the hd25s truly will last you a lifetime. I'd still give them a thorough ponder, even though they are slightly above your budget
smily_headphones1.gif

-K

Right, but the OP asked for Sennheiser, $110 or under, closed. That doesn't point to Sony or AKG or the HD25-1 II. Nothing at all against those headphones, just not what the OP is asking for. So, what about the less expensive closed Sennheisers... could even thrown in a Fiio amp and still be under budget?

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good information. So what amp(s) did you use in your comparison between the K271 and HD25-1 II? Thanks

I used an external t.c. electronic konnekt 6 -soundcard (very thin, but smooths the highs on the hd25s). Another set was a arcam diva cd73 connected to my only true amp at the moment, the portable graham slee voyager. It helped a bit to bring out the warmness out of the k271s, but work really good with hd25s, though either of them by themselves don't benefit THAT much from an amp. The 25s produced somewhat better instrument separation through the voyager, with smooth treble (not a hint of that metallic sound, at least with the velour pads). Plus the non-existent soundstage seemed to open up a little bit and depth increased. The voyager has truly good synergy with my grado sr325i's.
I must admit that the k271s were not fully driven in (maybe 8-10 hours?), but they sure didn't seem like getting better. Now I myself am drooling over those Audio Technica's ESW10JPN's.. so beautiful. *sigh*

-K

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:

I used an external t.c. electronic konnekt 6 -soundcard (very thin, but smooths the highs on the hd25s). Another set was a arcam diva cd73 connected to my only true amp at the moment, the portable graham slee voyager. It helped a bit to bring out the warmness out of the k271s, but work really good with hd25s, though either of them by themselves don't benefit THAT much from an amp. The 25s produced somewhat better instrument separation through the voyager, with smooth treble (not a hint of that metallic sound, at least with the velour pads). Plus the non-existent soundstage seemed to open up a little bit and depth increased. The voyager has truly good synergy with my grado sr325i's.
I must admit that the k271s were not fully driven in (maybe 8-10 hours?), but they sure didn't seem like getting better. Now I myself am drooling over those Audio Technica's ESW10JPN's.. so beautiful. *sigh*

-K

More good information. So what caught my attention here was the K271 "might" not have been broken in well enough. And FWIR, my former impression of the HD25-1 II was that it scaled better with amping than you described. Thanks

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #19 of 34
I think if you're headphones are below the 100$ line:
a) No way they can be closed. Since a design of a combination between a closed case and a driver is a hard task, and is nearly impossible to overcome a noticeable resonance problem, in that price range. And we're still trying to top hd555s sound quality -wise.
b) No use trying to overcome the weaknesses of a bad headphone with an amp, since they are just tone adjusters, at least in my opinion. And if your source is bad, you can't really make it brilliant. Plus all the phones in this pricerange are usually targeted towards "basic-users" that most likely are not using an amp. So they deliver enough punch without one.
c) Koss porta pro or Sennheiser px100 or Grado sr60 all are nice sounding. But = sound leakage galore!

I apologize op, if we're drifting too far away from the context.
smily_headphones1.gif

-K

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #20 of 34
"More good information. So what caught my attention here was the K271 "might" not have been broken in well enough. And FWIR, my former impression of the HD25-1 II was that it scaled better with amping than you described. Thanks"

Oh? What were your impressions with using the 25s with external amps, and what amps did you use?
It did sound better through an amp, but when you're sitting on a bus or are on the road it becomes excessive in my opinion. They sound very good unamped. Though i haven't tried the sansa fuze, i can tell that you can't be disappointed with these phones..

-K

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

I think if you're headphones are below the 100$ line:
a) No way they can be closed. Since a design of a combination between a closed case and a driver is a hard task, and is nearly impossible to overcome a noticeable resonance problem, in that price range. And we're still trying to top hd555s sound quality -wise.
b) No use trying to overcome the weaknesses of a bad headphone with an amp, since they are just tone adjusters, at least in my opinion. And if your source is bad, you can't really make it brilliant. Plus all the phones in this pricerange are usually targeted towards "basic-users" that most likely are not using an amp. So they deliver enough punch without one.
c) Koss porta pro or Sennheiser px100 or Grado sr60 all are nice sounding. But = sound leakage galore!

I apologize op, if we're drifting too far away from the context.
smily_headphones1.gif

-K

OK, so you're saying the OP has asked for the impossible... maybe he has. I've owned the HD280 and HD555, I'd say the HD280 with a Fiio amp has a good shot of satisfying the OP's needs. Another might be the HD202 modded with some polyfill to deal with its bass problem and amp it with a Fiio; someone else at Head-Fi suggested this mod for the HD202.

Oct 23, 2008 at 10:01 PM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Oh? What were your impressions with using the 25s with external amps, and what amps did you use?
It did sound better through an amp, but when you're sitting on a bus or are on the road it becomes excessive in my opinion. They sound very good unamped. Though i haven't tried the sansa fuze, i can tell that you can't be disappointed with these phones..

I'm asking questions about these because I have not used either. Seems like it could be a synergy problem with the amp used with the HD25-1 II, if you thought the amp was too much.

Oct 24, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #23 of 34
Thank you for your help - now I'm utterly confused
confused_face_2.gif

The HD555's have been returned and exchanged for ... a refund.

Looks like 'the right' Sennheisers (the expensive 25s) are out of my current price range
triportsad.gif

Maybe I should look for another brand than Sennheiser, or maybe I should look at Sennheisers IEMs...

Anyway; Thank you for your help. I'm sure I'll be back, when I know just WHAT I want, and what I'm ready to spend.
popcorn.gif

Oct 24, 2008 at 3:38 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

What amp(s) were used for this comparison between the K271 and HD25-1 II? Thanks

Mostly on a Rotel RA-01. Not quite a headphone amp... but the differences between these headphones can even be spotted on my headphone out coming out of my MacBook Pro. I've also used them direct from a Yamaha Motif ES7 synthesizer. Just to note, the comparison is from memory. However, the impression of each headphone is quite lasting. Its been mentioned that the K271 is somewhat neutral, I'd say a bit tame, which could translate to 'boring'. But for its purpose, as an ENG, tracking, headphone, this is important. It excels at vocals.. and I'm sure some would attest would give higher end AKG and Sennheisers good competition in this respect. Its truly quality. The HD 25-1 is quality too, just in a different way.

The HD 25-1 is very easy to drive, whereas the K271 could benefit from a nice amp. In comparison to the K271, the HD25 sounds compressed. The HD 25-1, though losing dynamic, doesn't lose any detail. Also, the HD 25-1 is more immediate, its bass, punchy and involving..

Both would require careful consideration of application... there is more to consider than sound quality here. Personally, on its versatility, the HD 25-1 wins over the 271.

IF you can find an HD 25-1 at a cost comparable to the HD 555, pick it up at all costs.

I lucked out getting mine blown new, for less than a refurb HD555 I bought online.

IME, the HD 25-1 is as good as you get for a closed portable. I have yet to try the Audio Technica ES7 and ES9s though....

There are lots of decent cheap in-ears that perhaps are worthy of consideration. I even enjoy my JVC FX66 ! they cost under $20... try em out.

I'd say go cheap or spend big on what you want. You'll just end up spending more going through the 'journey'. I've done that journey with keyboards, and headphones... its pricey. I know what I like now though.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malfunkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mostly on a Rotel RA-01. Not quite a headphone amp... but the differences between these headphones can even be spotted on my headphone out coming out of my MacBook Pro. I've also used them direct from a Yamaha Motif ES7 synthesizer. Just to note, the comparison is from memory. However, the impression of each headphone is quite lasting. Its been mentioned that the K271 is somewhat neutral, I'd say a bit tame, which could translate to 'boring'. But for its purpose, as an ENG, tracking, headphone, this is important. It excels at vocals.. and I'm sure some would attest would give higher end AKG and Sennheisers good competition in this respect. Its truly quality. The HD 25-1 is quality too, just in a different way.

The HD 25-1 is very easy to drive, whereas the K271 could benefit from a nice amp. In comparison to the K271, the HD25 sounds compressed. The HD 25-1, though losing dynamic, doesn't lose any detail. Also, the HD 25-1 is more immediate, its bass, punchy and involving..

Both would require careful consideration of application... there is more to consider than sound quality here. Personally, on its versatility, the HD 25-1 wins over the 271.

IF you can find an HD 25-1 at a cost comparable to the HD 555, pick it up at all costs.

I lucked out getting mine blown new, for less than a refurb HD555 I bought online.

IME, the HD 25-1 is as good as you get for a closed portable. I have yet to try the Audio Technica ES7 and ES9s though....

There are lots of decent cheap in-ears that perhaps are worthy of consideration. I even enjoy my JVC FX66 ! they cost under $20... try em out.

I'd say go cheap or spend big on what you want. You'll just end up spending more going through the 'journey'. I've done that journey with keyboards, and headphones... its pricey. I know what I like now though.

Well said.

What did you mean by the hd25s sounding compressed or losing dynamics. Sorry, didn't understand what context this remark was in
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #27 of 34
Quote:

I'm asking questions about these because I have not used either. Seems like it could be a synergy problem with the amp used with the HD25-1 II, if you thought the amp was too much.

Aah hehe. I understood FWIR as from-what-i-recall, that you had tried them at some point.

There is no synergy problem. You must have misunderstood. They did scale very good with the voyager. As i mentioned: smoothed highs, better instrument separation and soundstage (not much 3d-wise, closely correlates with the separation)
Bass becomes slightly excessive with original pads, and is just perfect with the velour pads, since the voyager is a tad warm and bass-y.

-K

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #28 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There're no closed good Senns.

Hahhah.. nice
smily_headphones1.gif

How about a closed and portable sennheiser, that doesn't need an amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back