Which closed Sennheisers?
Oct 22, 2008 at 9:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

RipRapRob

Head-Fier
I asked this question in the wrong forum:

Hi all

I've just ordered a new MP3-player - Sansa Fuze 8 Gb - and now I'm worried that I've bought the wrong headphones for them:

I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD555 - my 3rd pair of Sennheisers - and I really like them: The sound is great and the comfort fantastic.

One drawback: People next to me can hear what I'm listening to, due to the open design.

That's OK by me, but I'll probably drive people around me nuts, so I think I have to exchange the HD555 for a closed set.

Being that the HD555 is my first pair of open headphones, it kind of surprised me, how much of the music you can hear on the 'outside' - yes, I should have known better
frown.gif

So which closed design Sennheisers should I choose instead? Here is what I'm looking for:
  1. SQ like (or better than
    biggrin.gif
    ) the HD555
  2. Pricerange like the HD555 (or up to ~10-20% more)
  3. heavy duty cord - preferable replaceable (one of my Sennheisers has a really thin cord - I prefer the thickness of the HD555's)
  4. preferable 3.5 mm plug (so I dont have to use an adapter when using my MP3-player)

I chose the HD555 for its great sound and the circumaural design. I like the circumaural design, but that seems to go hand in hand with open headphones - or is that just Sennheiser?

Thank you for your time and help.

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #3 of 34
The Sennheiser range doesn't have another closed design worth looking for than the HD25s. You'll lack soundstage, but get good punch and detail. The new version is also delivered with extra pads (velour), that calm the sound a bit (smooth treble, less boomy bass). And are more comfortable, but also isolate less.
I have the version with 1,5m cord, and a 3,5mm L-jack. The cord is super durable!
Also a plus with these phones is that you can change everything (pads, cord, the whole inside)
smily_headphones1.gif

Look them up and try finding a studio shop that might have them for you to try out.

-K

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by electropop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Sennheiser range doesn't have another closed design worth looking for than the HD25s.

Is that the Sennheiser HD 25-SP II Pro you are referring to? Or the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Pro at twice the price
eek.gif
?

Oct 22, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #5 of 34
the HD25-1s are worth their price tag for portables imo, but maybe you should audition a pair first. you don't really need an amp with them despite them being 70ohms. cable's replaceable too - spiral cable, or OFC cable for HD580...

Oct 22, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 34
Another vote for the HD25-1s

I would recommend the cheaper ones, the ones with the single headband

The dearer one has a double headband and comes with extra velour pads, may not be a good choice for headphones that may get lost or stolen

I could be wrong but to me they both sound the same !

Note that the HD25-1s are supra aural ie they sit on the ear, I tried them in a busy shopping centre and they cut out all the noise, I could hear the music clearly

Just use your eyes when crossing the road as you wont hear the truck coming !

Oct 22, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #7 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quelch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for the HD25-1s

I would recommend the cheaper ones, the ones with the single headband

Thanks but...

The ones with the single headband is named HD 25-SP II Pro, not HD25-1?

(Somewhat confused).

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #8 of 34
another vote for the HD25. I used to own the HD555, and while the HD555 was comfier and had a better 'soundstage', the HD 25-1 walks all over them from a sound quality standpoint. The HD 25-1 is clearer and the bass more accurate.

The HD555 is a more relaxed headphone, perfect for home entertainment. But mine started to crack from regular commutes...in comparison the HD 25-1 can be easily shoved in a bag and are a lot tougher than they look.

Like the HD555, they are easy to drive from an iPod but are smaller so that you don't look like a dork wearing oversized cans when outdoors.

They do pinch a bit at first, but they've loosened up overtime.

Another recommendation would be for the AKG K271. This is a more refined sounding phone, and comfier. Also, they have the unique ability to cut sound when not being worn, which in a group environment can be a good thing when you need to work with others. You can take off your phones and your music is instantly muted... quite a nice feature. They don't have the impact the HD 25-1 do, but I almost wish I still had them as they sounded better for delicate music pieces (classical, solo piano, etc). The HD 25-1 sound awesome for hiphop, pop music, drum n bass, house, trance, rock, metal, funk and soul. They are very enjoyable overall.

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by RipRapRob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that the Sennheiser HD 25-SP II Pro you are referring to? Or the Sennheiser HD 25-1 II Pro at twice the price
eek.gif
?

Did you, with good consciousness, mention the sp model?
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes i meant the 25-1 II. The sp version is not available directly with the 1,5m L-jack or velour pads. Plus there is a significant leap sound-wise..

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #11 of 34
Quote:

Did you, with good consciousness, mention the sp model?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry! It was very dark and I was a little drunk, and I've only seen HD 25-SP II and HD 25-1 II Pro on pictures at a distance....
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #12 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by RipRapRob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[*]Pricerange like the HD555 (or up to ~10-20% more)

So, the OP is looking for a closed Sennheiser in the $110 price range; however everyone but me suggests a Sennheiser or other brand that is more expensive? Isn't anyone aware that Sennheiser makes closed headphones that sell for $110 or less?

Oct 23, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #13 of 34
My take on the AKG K271 is as follows. I had them too, but as Malfunkt mentioned, they are not nearly as engaging than the hd25s. In my opinion they are too neutral and in the long term, boring. Good soundstage for closed phones.
But since you're using a sansa fuze (without an external amp i'd figure?), they are a no no. Since they require much more amplification. Even my sony mp3-player, that are probably the loudest out there, couldn't deliver enough force for them. Any player coupled with hd25s can bring the volume up to deafening levels.

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #14 of 34
Quote:

My take on the AKG K271 is as follows. I had them too, but as Malfunkt mentioned, they are not nearly as engaging than the hd25s. In my opinion they are too neutral and in the long term, boring. Good soundstage for closed phones.
But since you're using a sansa fuze (without an external amp i'd figure?), they are a no no. Since they require much more amplification. Even my sony mp3-player, that are probably the loudest out there, couldn't deliver enough force for them. Any player coupled with hd25s can bring the volume up to deafening levels.

Good information. So what amp(s) did you use in your comparison between the K271 and HD25-1 II? Thanks

Oct 23, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, the OP is looking for a closed Sennheiser in the $110 price range; however everyone but me suggests a Sennheiser or other brand that is more expensive? Isn't anyone aware that Sennheiser makes closed headphones that sell for $110 or less?

True. The sound signature of the hd25s is not very typical of sennheisers in general. The hd280 is around that pricerange, but they do sound very boxy, thin/shallow, and are large, i mean huge
smily_headphones1.gif

Though they are rather well regarded in studio use.
If you like a dynamic sound, Sony mdr-7506 are a choice too. They are juicy, but lack midrange. Plus they go over your ears, in other words, are objectively very comfortable. Minus is that they have a coiled cord. (takes lots of space in your pocket or even from a backpack)

I'm sorry OP for getting carried away, but the hd25s truly will last you a lifetime. I'd still give them a thorough ponder, even though they are slightly above your budget
smily_headphones1.gif

-K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back