Which closed headphones would you recommend?
Jun 30, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #16 of 36

Quote:
Any brick and mortar stores that sell ultrasone? There doesn't seem to be a store locator on ultrasone's site

I believe Guitar Center does.

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #17 of 36

Quote:
I think of all the headphones on your list the Grado SR-225(i) is the best choice. IMHO the 225 is the best Grado in the Prestige line. To me, the 325i(s) is too shrill and piercing. Plus, on the Sales Forum they can be found for around $150.

x2.  I've owned the SR22 and the Dt770-80 and prefer the former by a wide margin .  They top most all of my seven >150$ headphones, except the HF-1, which are the same headphone in wood.  Skip the Beyers unless you have a good amp,  (and when you do, consider the 600 ohm instead if you must have a closed headphone).

Jun 30, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #18 of 36

Quote:
I think of all the headphones on your list the Grado SR-225(i) is the best choice. IMHO the 225 is the best Grado in the Prestige line. To me, the 325i(s) is too shrill and piercing. Plus, on the Sales Forum they can be found for around $150.

This is why I got the 225s at the time.  I auditioned them together, expecting to get the 325s and got the 225s.  Good Luck, try to listen to them both

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:37 AM Post #21 of 36
Yeah, why would you never recommend one?

Jul 1, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #22 of 36
maybe he had some bad experiences with them in the past? who knows :p

Jul 1, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #23 of 36
If you want to be involved with the music, make your feet tap, clap your hands, head moving, then rock on the energetic Grado headphone now!
biggrin.gif
SR225 or SR60 is the big bang for your money for the addicting Grado sound!
biggrin.gif
If you are more ambitious then RS1 is the most addicting Grado sound!
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #24 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Joboto  
" Yeah, why would you never recommend one?"

I think there are people who shy away from recommending Grados because they don't like the Grado house sound. Which is understandable. Grados have a colored sound signature and are not balanced or neutral. They are best suited for only a few genres. Rock for example.

All that said, in my humble opinion, for what Grado does and for the money the Grado SR-80(i) and SR-225(i) have little in the way of peers. Heck, for under $100 I don't think there is BETTER headphone period than the SR-80(i). For almost any genre. And if you buy used... Forget it... LoL. The 225(i) is a significant improvement over the 80(i) and well worth the premium.

I must admit that as you go beyond the 225 there are headphones that may or may not sound better or give a better value. If you like the Grado sound though, Grados sound greater the higher up you progress.

Some like the sound, some don't.

For the OP, I believe the 225(i) is an excellent choice.

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #25 of 36

Quote:
Quote:
For the OP, I believe the 225(i) is an excellent choice.

Would you recommend the ATH-M50S? I saw you have those in your collection. I'm probably gonna have a better view of things on wednesday because I hopefully will be trying on a pair of 225's. The only place in Richmond that sells them only had the 80 and 125s

Jul 1, 2010 at 10:00 AM Post #26 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajumbaje  

" Would you recommend the ATH-M50S? I saw you have those in your collection. I'm probably gonna have a better view of things on wednesday because I hopefully will be trying on a pair of 225's. The only place in Richmond that sells them only had the 80 and 125s"

The M50 is a closed headphone that is quite bass heavy. They are sort of heavy-ish and not the most comfortable. They're pretty much the opposite of Grado. It's difficult to directly compare the two.

To me, dollar-for-dollar, an open phone sounds better. The Grado SR-225(i) is much better overall than the M50, imho.

If you need the isolation though, it's a pretty decent headphone. But if you're taking that route, the Shure 840 is better sounding than the M50. Neither are better than the Grado.

As for only having the 80 or 125 to listen to... That's not so bad as the Grado house sound runs through the line. If you can hear the progression going from the 80 to the 125, the 225 is better in just about all ways. I've owned all the Prestige line headphones except the 60 (I've heard them) and I like how they step up with each model. YMMV of course.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:31 AM Post #28 of 36
Go with the 325. I loved mine while I had it, and they're great for the styles you mentioned.

Jul 1, 2010 at 11:54 AM Post #29 of 36
I have the SR225 now for more than a year and a half and I still enjoy listening with them.

Jul 3, 2010 at 1:14 PM Post #30 of 36

[size=medium]
the only issue I have had with hearing about the grados is that they are open. I prefer something closed so I can play my music pretty loud without anyone hearing it except for me.
[/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back