Which closed can to buy? D5000 or ESW10?
Oct 8, 2009 at 12:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

quikgp

100+ Head-Fier
Like the title states, I'm looking to buy a new closed can and I think I've narrowed it down to the Denon AH-D5000 or AT ESW10
(I've also been considering the ESW9, D7000, Ultrasone Pro 900 and ATH-W5000)

Here are the things I'm looking for:
-I'm looking for some isolation of noise, but not to the level of an IEM (I had a d2000 and they let just enough sound in that you could hear stuff going on around you but it didn't disturb you.
-I like the denon sound signature, but I found the bass in the d2000 to be a bit messy. quantity was good, but I'm looking for more controlled bass
-comfort is very important
-I like that both of these cans *can* be used with a portable source
-mainly, I listen to alternative and rock, but I also occasionally listen to accoustic, jazz, classical, hip-hop, rap and r&B.
-I value neutrality, clarity/detail and soundstage, but I also like my phones to be fun and engaging.

Which one looks like the better fit for me?

Oct 8, 2009 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 18
The D5000s can be very revealing for poor recordings, not that they will sound really horrible but the difference between good and bad recordings are very obvious, more so than any other headphones I tried.
Also be ware that D5000's bass is bigger and probably less tight than the D2000's

If your main music choice is rock and alternative I would say the D5000's are not the best candidates, they are too refined and revealing, at least for me (low-fi acts like Guided by Voices sound horrible)
They are magical with natural sounding cd's, especially classical music.
But since you like the D2000's (apart from the bass) you may like them though.

I never heard the ESW10's, but I own two other Audio Technica's and I would say their signature is great for rock and alternative.

The D5000's do sound better overall but they can be frustrating because they are so revealing, I find both Audio Tecnica's easier on the ears with less complex or less audiophile material simply because the contrasts between good and poor records aren't that big.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 18
I have the modded MD5000 DE and don't find that they isolate all that well but I assume just as well as the D2000.

I would not say they are neutral though. I think they are slightly tipped towards the warm side.

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #4 of 18
I'd say get a D5000, perform a half-markl mod (Dynamat on the back of the driver and rear of the driver baffle & maybe a bit of polyester fiber in the cups) slap on a pair of JMoney lambskin pads and just sit back and enjoy.

BTW, I did exactly this with my D7000's.

To quote the sage and wise philosopher, Tow Mater : "I'm just happier than a tornado in a trailer park!!"

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 18
ESW10's are among the best AT has produced, they have a low profile, beautifully made, highly comfortable for being supraaural and the sound quality makes them compete with the high end. AT sound at its best, overall I like them better than the w5000's.

For the Denons I have always dislike them, they all seem boomy to me, I have never try modded versions, but I never have understood the idea of buying a highly flawed original, every one that points out positively to denon is because of a mod.

Id say get an great original, get the esw10jpn's

Oct 9, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 18
If you like the sound signature of the D2000 then the ESW10 will be a nice choice as both have this bright-ish sound. I personally like the ESW9 better but it's more to the line that its tone is closer to my taste.

Oct 9, 2009 at 5:30 AM Post #7 of 18
Too bad you sold away your D2000 because the markl mod was pretty easy to do for $20 and the bass response got un-muddied and faster. It probably would have suited your tastes nicely. You could find a pair of D2000 used, do the mods, and throw on some wooden Custom Cups for AH-D2000. Oooo that could be sweet.

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #8 of 18
I had the D2000 stock, D5000 stock and then did the Markl mods (driver damping and ear pads only). I have the D2000 recabled, woodied and markl moded (driver damping and JMoney ear pads), D7000 markl moded (driver damping and JMoney ear pads) and the ESW10JPN.

I love the ESW10JPN. They are beautiful and sound incredible but they are over the ear phones so they ar not very comfortable. Thes will cos you in the $500 range so why not get the D7000?

The D7000 are superior than the D2000/5000. Out of my collection (you can see in in my signature) the D7000 are my favorite cans.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 9, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyDebord /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ESW10's are among the best AT has produced, they have a low profile, beautifully made, highly comfortable for being supraaural and the sound quality makes them compete with the high end. AT sound at its best, overall I like them better than the w5000's.

For the Denons I have always dislike them, they all seem boomy to me, I have never try modded versions, but I never have understood the idea of buying a highly flawed original, every one that points out positively to denon is because of a mod.

Id say get an great original, get the esw10jpn's

While I do not own the 10's I down the 9's. I have to say that they are one of the most uncomfortable headphones I have ever owned.

I would spend a $100 more and get the D7000's.

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #10 of 18
I love my ESW10JPN's - but clearly designed as a portable can.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #11 of 18
I havn't heard the ESW10JPN's but I have the ESW9's and I also have the D7000's and they blow the ESW9's out of the water IMO. The ESW10JPN's are around the same price as the D7000's if i'm not mistaken. I paid $559 shipped for my D7000's I would go with the D7000's.

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:41 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I havn't heard the ESW10JPN's but I have the ESW9's and I also have the D7000's and they blow the ESW9's out of the water IMO. The ESW10JPN's are around the same price as the D7000's if i'm not mistaken. I paid $559 shipped for my D7000's I would go with the D7000's.

That's an awesome price for the D7000's. Where did you get them from, if you don't mind me asking?

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by virusvoodoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's an awesome price for the D7000's. Where did you get them from, if you don't mind me asking?

J&R. They cut good deals. You just have to tell them what your willing to pay. Do a google product search and find the best price and they will beat it.

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
J&R. They cut good deals. You just have to tell them what your willing to pay. Do a google product search and find the best price and they will beat it.

Doesn't J&R usually have it on retail price? Because of this I always tried to avoid it to get better deals somewhere else. I can't imagine they would give you a huge discount like that just because you ask for it.

Oct 10, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TobaccoRoad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't J&R usually have it on retail price? Because of this I always tried to avoid it to get better deals somewhere else. I can't imagine they would give you a huge discount like that just because you ask for it.

Most headphones are listed at msrp and they say call for the lowest price. I just ordered a pair of HD650's for $314 shipped from J&R. I always get good deals from them. Their customer service is great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back